cabin screen leak

northerntrades

Featured Posts

Seems I've sprung a leak in the front cabin screens of my Norman 20 over winter. Drat!

They're the non opening type that are sandwiched in aluminium frames and the through bolts look well rusted (cheapskate shoulda used brass or stainless eh)?

Also the rubber seals are hard, crumbly and obviously perished. Double drat!

Can anyone tell me if it's a difficult d.i.y and if and where I could get the rubber seals (think it's 'U' section?

You should be able to get the correct seals from seals Direct I have dealt with these a few times and are pretty good. I don't know about Norman windows but it was a fairly easy job to take my narrow boat windows out and replace the seals and the glass. My aluminium window frames are held together with self tapping screws and these allow the cross members of the frame to come apart to replace the glass. I used stainless steel (marine grade so the screw man said) to attach my windows back to the cabin sides. I also used hatch tape to seal them. That was 3 years ago and, so far, I have had no leaks.

Sorry that link didn't work try this.

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

Edited by pete.i

Seals direct link works thanks - there's surely a seal amongst that lot that would suit?? I'm going to have to take a screen out to get the exact dimensions I guess - could be tricky with all this recent wind and weather we're having!

Might as well renew Perspex while I'm at it - more expense. Triple drat!!

Cheers guys

There was a link on the now defunct Dawncraft forum for a window maker in ?Stourbridge? called Roy. Try web.archive.org

. The guys name is Roy robins his company is called clearview enterprises, afraid I mislaid his phone number when I ran over my phone recently, but he is still in business as he made me new windscreen last year,

Wwhen you refit the frames use sealsdirect guidelines of a neoprene tape with a small bead of silicone, dont fit them with mastic or whatever on their own.

We re-did our windows a few years ago with new seals etc from sealsdirect, they are very helpful in sorting out odd seal dimensions etc - I spoke to them on the phone to get what I wanted and was very happy with their service

. The guys name is Roy robins his company is called clearview enterprises, afraid I mislaid his phone number when I ran over my phone recently, but he is still in business as he made me new windscreen last year,

Found a clearview enterprises near Stourport marina don't know if that's the one? I'll have to remove a screen before I contact any firms for materials I guess.

Wwhen you refit the frames use sealsdirect guidelines of a neoprene tape with a small bead of silicone, dont fit them with mastic or whatever on their own.

We re-did our windows a few years ago with new seals etc from sealsdirect, they are very helpful in sorting out odd seal dimensions etc - I spoke to them on the phone to get what I wanted and was very happy with their service

Yes - I will get every bit of advise as poss for the job - a guy on our marina did a large curved screen a few years ago and swears he'll never diy it again!! Though my screens are almost flat and obviously not very big so I'm hoping it won't be too difficult - famous last words!!??

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure has been recommended here before for leaking windows.

I might as well renew the rubber seals they are really perished but I would think Capn Tolley's may well have its uses in less serious cases of pissin' ports and screens!

Thanks all.