Another view of the New T&Cs

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

From Narrowboatworld, and, unfortunately I can see where the author is 'coming from'.

Whilst it is maybe a little inflammatory it is fundamentally true.

An independent state?

Has CaRT declared the waterways as an independent state whilst I was not looking? Judging by the evidence presented in the boat licence Terms & Conditions (2015) yes it has; CaRTLand will exist from 1st April (it's no joke) when the new Terms and Conditions come into effect.

Then CaRT will have the right to:

1. Override the Waterways Act (1995) which was approved by parliament.
  2. Have more powers than the Police with regard to entering your property.
  3. Ignore the Data Protection Act (1998) and distribute the data they hold on you to who they see fit. If you pay your licence by direct debit then you bank account details will be amongst the data they are prepared to give away too.
  4. Use it's monopolistic powers to force you into a contract under duress, which I understand violates the Consumer Protection Act.
  5. Assume a boater is guilty until proven innocent contrary to the Human Rights Act 1988

And so it goes on and on and on....

The National Association of Boat Owners (NABO) and other organizations are both angry and very concerned, so should you be. This is no time to bury your head in the sand which is what we would all like to do. After all boaters are probably boaters because they don't like hassle? But enough is enough.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

As it stands, I'm going to have a seriously challenging cruising season. One of the legal persons at CRT sent a reply (in the other thread) saying that if a marina boater returns to their marina often, they can cruise a small range from the marina. If they leave the marina for a longer time, they need to cruise a wider range.

I have a local job, so cruising a wider range is difficult. At the same time returning to the marina often is impractical due to the marina sitting at the top of the Rochdale 9 fight of locks. Going up and down....every weekend, or even every month, isn't practical. So I'll be one of those boaters trying to follow the "spirit of the law" while trying to also negotiate the "non spirit of the new T&Cs"

As it stands, I'm going to have a seriously challenging cruising season. One of the legal persons at CRT sent a reply (in the other thread) saying that if a marina boater returns to their marina often, they can cruise a small range from the marina. If they leave the marina for a longer time, they need to cruise a wider range.

I have a local job, so cruising a wider range is difficult. At the same time returning to the marina often is impractical due to the marina sitting at the top of the Rochdale 9 fight of locks. Going up and down....every weekend, or even every month, isn't practical. So I'll be one of those boaters trying to follow the "spirit of the law" while trying to also negotiate the "non spirit of the new T&Cs"

you are just extracting the urine, and getting something for nothing. Its not on.

You seem to be under the impression that these t&c might have been made up by somebody that knows anything about boaters or boating, I think that maybe that is where you are going wrong.

I am a bit torn because on the one hand, the law is a bit inadequate and some Ts and Cs are a "good thing", but on the other hand it does run the risk of getting slightly out of hand. Bearing in mind that the law requires CRT to issue a licence if 3(?) conditions are met, all it needs is a test case whereby someone attempts to licence a boat (which is currently not on CRT waters) whilst stating categorically in writing that they refuse to accept the Ts and Cs. CRT will then most probably refuse the licence, at which point a court case ensues whereby CRT are forced by law to issue the licence anyway. Well someone must have the time, inclination and money?

you are just extracting the urine, and getting something for nothing. Its not on.

No I think Dean is making the mistake of thinking that having bought a boat, paid a licence and paid for a mooring he can get on with enjoying his boating with his family. He should know by now he is not supposed to leave his marina

Surely if you have a " Local job " you need a mooring? I work so pay for a mooring how else can you comply with ccing? as in bone fide navigation?

Tim

ps Yes its the beer again........doh he has got a mooring..........

Edited by mrsmelly

No I think Dean is making the mistake of thinking that having bought a boat, paid a licence and paid for a mooring he can get on with enjoying his boating with his family. He should know by now he is not supposed to leave his marina

We'll only when it's his turn.

Regards kris

Surely if you have a " Local job " you need a mooring? I work so pay for a mooring how else can you comply with ccing? as in bone fide navigation?

Tim

He does have a paid-for mooring, its just not particularly nice and he likes to get away from it especially in summer when the hooligans (who have free access to the mooring) are running wild. He is not a CCer.

He does have a paid-for mooring, its just not particularly nice and he likes to get away from it especially in summer when the hooligans (who have free access to the mooring) are running wild. He is not a CCer.

But, But, But - when he leaves his mooring he becomes a CCer - C&RT say so.

We could have new "rules" that say a purple boat should rarely leave a marina, also that a wide beam should rarely leave a marina, and specifically that a purple wide beam should never leave a marina.

How does that sound?

Anyway, in Dean's case we can sort of see the issue on CRT's mind. He has a mooring. But he doesn't much like it. He could therefore leave it, pootle down to Castelfield gardens or some such more pleasant place, and sit there for months. Well, except that is Bridgewater of course, but you get the general idea. The aim is to avoid folk with home moorings using that as an excuse to spend long periods at a much nicer place, not moving. I sort of support that line, so long as it isn't taken to extremes. Ultimately it is all about trying to get folk to "share nicely" and not hog prime space.