BMC 1.5 No Drive!

Rob1234

Featured Posts

Thanks Richard for help uploading pics. The gearbox isn't sitting in water, so I guess it must be the cooler. Maybe start with a good clean with diesel, should oil be pumped out of the pipes when not connected?

It may not be sitting in water now, that doesn't mean it wasn't in the past

Richard

Those oil cooler hoses look ripe for changing too....

Try a local Hydraulic firm, they will be cheap as chips to replace.

Is your engine raw water cooled?

If keel cooled are you suffering from coolant loss?

Edited by gazza

What you need to do is pressure test the cooler. You have three options:

Disconnect the oil hoses and run the engine, when it is hot, the pressure in the cooling system will force water out the oil side of the cooler

Disconnect the water hoses and run the engine. The oil pressure in the box will push oil out of the water side of the cooler

Just buy a cooler

Richard

What you need to do is pressure test the cooler. You have three options:

Disconnect the oil hoses and run the engine, when it is hot, the pressure in the cooling system will force water out the oil side of the cooler

Disconnect the water hoses and run the engine. The oil pressure in the box will push oil out of the water side of the cooler

Just buy a cooler

Richard

My thoughts exactly!

In the workshop I've got an old bowman heat exchanger that has a leaking tube stack - its no use to man nor beast at the moment - well not if you want raw water cooling as I do!

It was a freebie so I shouldnt have expected too much.

Tube stacks are an eye watering price, I have neither the time nor inclnation to rebuild the original so on the shelf it must stay until a decent secondhand replacement turns up

I draws water from the canal and spits it out the exhaust! Is that Raw water cooled?

It has a heat exchanger ( which was empty the other day) but since top up, stayed full.

As Richard has said, time for a new gearbox oil cooler. The tubestack is leaking cooling water into your gearbox oil.

I draws water from the canal and spits it out the exhaust! Is that Raw water cooled?

It has a heat exchanger ( which was empty the other day) but since top up, stayed full.

Many BMCs were set up with two cooling circuits. There is a circuit running through the block and head, and into a large header tank with a heat exchanger in it. You must keep this circuit topped up or you'll blow the head gasket. Flowing through the heat exchanger is canal water sucked from a sea cock, through a pump, through the heat exchanger, possibly around the exhaust manifold and then out of the exhaust. The gearbox cooler is probably in this circuit too

Richard

My old boat had raw water pumped through the block by a jabsco pump on the cam shaft, back in the days of the 105E petrol engine. Two of them, they never both started simply.

I'm not sure which I prefer. A skin tank is a closed system with corrosion protection in the water. A straight raw water system like that is simple and carries the least components

The indirect raw water system is about as complicated as it gets!

Richard

I'm not sure which I prefer. A skin tank is a closed system with corrosion protection in the water. A straight raw water system like that is simple and carries the least components

The indirect raw water system is about as complicated as it gets!

Richard

Which is fine in an engine designed for it, but a lightweight engine designed for vehicle use includes components which are not sufficiently corrosion-resistant for use with constantly refreshed oxygenated water - especially salt water. I once had a direct cooled BMC 1.5 in which one of the core plugs rusted through, resulting in a spurt of water which happened to land on the dipstick, where it all ran down and turned the oil into latte!

vehciel

Just spoke to them, they can match up the hoses if I bring the old ones in. Probably wouldn't have a oil cooler on the shelf, although he said he has one...about a foot long and 5" in diameter! Sounds possible!

I looped the oil pipe back into the gearbox as a member recommend, run it with some diesel in and drained. Popped some oil in and still no drive? Ran out of ideas and daylight so will look again in the morning!

From memory, yes. Without checking the book, I think the pump puts oil through the cooler before the internals of the box

Not that it matters, oil should be coming out anyway

Sound like your pump has failed

Richard