One boat, then two,then three

Skyraker

Featured Posts

I live in Coven and I drive the dog up to Coven Heath bridge to stretch his legs.

Apart fro some new field moorings opposite the water treatment plant it's rare to see a moored boat on the towpath side.

Three months ago a GRP shed... And I mean shed moored up for about 3 weeks, it's license gad expired last year but im not a tell tale so thought nothing of it.

One evening I'm walking the dog past and out flies a gas bottle followed by a radio and other odds and ends. On my way back I asked the geezer if it was his boat as I'd expect someone else to to the same if it was mine. He assured me it was and he told me he didn't want the kit stolen.

Fair enough I thought.

I enquires if he'd ever considering licensing his boat, he muttered something about a river license and the conversation moved on to narrow boats etc so I could get a feel if he knew anything about boating. Turns out he knew enough for me to move on and forget about it.

Two days later a sinister looking black 45 footer towing a butty moored up nearby, washing line, odds and ends strewn about. ( licenced btw). A day later a smartish 50 footer lobs up, moored in front. The next day a 50 foot prison barge (it's how it looked) joined them.

4 weeks now they've been there.

Now I have no problem with cc boats mooring in the middle of bugger all bothering know one, but this lot make you feel genuinely uncomfortable walking past. Is this normal? Are there gangs of water gypsies mooring up for months en mass?

Don't get me wrong, these aren't pleasant to look at.... Sinister is the only description I can contour up......

For the record I've only ever seen a boat overnight there three times.

Anyone else's spotted them?

No they haven't, and it's a fair point.

However, my point was mostly pointing out only seeing a couple of boats overnight in years.... They've been there months.

This is not a cc rant, cc all you want cm all you want It's not a problem....

I swear this is a gang though. ;)

Edited by Skyraker

How do you know they are ccers or does your prejudice against ccers automaticly assume that someone who does not tick all your boxes is a ccer

I have zero prejudice towards ccrs or cmers for that matter..... I really don't. I just made an observation about a stretch where boats almost never Moor.

I should have known better than mention this after reading some of the vitriol slung by both sides on some threads.

I know the Staffin between Rafford and hazels trine like the back of my hand, why shouldn't someone Moor there for months, no bugger else does. They're not on cm..... So who is being inconvenienced? No one.

My position clear now?

Their boats were a bloody eyesore though..... Is it OK for me to get arsed about that or are you going to still accuse me of being a cc hater? Fairs fair mate

Edited by Skyraker
  • Greenie 4

Thanks. So what was the problem? If you feel threatened by someone call the police, it's nothing to do with boating.

Oh for, I didn't personally feel in any danger. I spoke to a lady from one because her dog was doing dog stuff and swing ells to mine.

She seemed nice enough in a 60 Lambert and Butler way from inside the front tarp. These days it's a catch cover, this wasn't... It was a tarp.... Now I'm going to be accused of being anti tarp because only a catch cover is the done thing right?

I hate cratch covers and those awnings boaters have on the stern, I think they look shite, my opinion obviously. She had neither, she had a piece of tarp that was proper shit. OK if that boat had the best mooring at Gg Heywood marina it would still be shit. I used to live in Essex (Wickford).... That was a pikies boat and 2 days later a load more turn up.

Now I'll be accused of categorising all cars as pikkeys.... I'm not... You you won't be able to resist.

No, trolls done right are subtle and generally go unnoticed. You're just having a go.

Edited by Skyraker

What actually is a troll?

I've been accused of it in the past and I really didn't and still don't see why. I thought it was for someone who chimes in only to make a discussion turn into an argument. But recently I've seen it used just because someone has said something controversial.

I think it has now just become a "shut up" expression.

• Greenie 1

To the OP. Your description is a reasonable description of some of the Birmingham ccers. Maybe the dreaded letter has got them moving further afield.

On another point, you say you have nothing against people mooring there but you clearly have some level of contempt for them. So what if they have a tarp? Maybe they can't afford a fitted cratch and need to keep their belongings dry. Being poor isn't a crime!

• Greenie 1

One had a hoodie on and they've got a staffie

Definitely not Somali Pirates then, they have Dobermans and eye patches.

Yeh, but what if Somali pirates hae been out pirating and stealing hoodies and Staffies?

That is quite possible. Gangs are well known for their love of narrowboating.

I think that your comment is tongue-in-cheek, but if you recall the stories about a camouflaged boat and its crew a couple of years ago, they seemed to be some sort of gang.

I have zero prejudice towards ccrs or cmers for that matter..... I really don't. I just made an observation about a stretch where boats almost never Moor.

I should have known better than mention this after reading some of the vitriol slung by both sides on some threads.

I know the Staffin between Rafford and hazels trine like the back of my hand, why shouldn't someone Moor there for months, no bugger else does. They're not on cm..... So who is being inconvenienced? No one.

My position clear now?

Their boats were a bloody eyesore though..... Is it OK for me to get arsed about that or are you going to still accuse me of being a cc hater? Fairs fair mate

Rule 1 of this forum (on which I note you have relatively few posts) is that if you are going to start a thread like this you are bound to get stick from several quarters: the PC brigade, the "All CCers are the second coming of Christ" church, and the Troll-hunters army. And of course the pack of bloodhounds sniffing out fresh meat. And of course the Usuaal Suspects who consider any opinion expressed by someone with fewer than 1000 posts to be contemptible.

Therefore I hope you are thick skinned! But don't think you have fallen into some parallel universe, most folk on here aren't like that, it's just the noisy ones!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3

Had Skyraker said the boats were in any way shiney, wore anti IWA stickers or were made in Tamworth he would have been on safer grounds and hoisted up the virtual shoulders of the forum and cheered.

Rule 1 of this forum (on which I note you have relatively few posts) is that if you are going to start a thread like this you are bound to get stick from several quarters: the PC brigade, the "All CCers are the second coming of Christ" church, and the Troll-hunters army. And of course the pack of bloodhounds sniffing out fresh meat. And of course the Usuaal Suspects who consider any opinion expressed by someone with fewer than 1000 posts to be contemptible.

Therefore I hope you are thick skinned! But don't think you have fallen into some parallel universe, most folk on here aren't like that, it's just the noisy ones!

Cheers Nick,

I don't have many posts, simply because I had little to add.

I wasn't buying before now, I honestly didn't give a monkeys are about the cc cm home moored debate, enjoyed it immensely, I honestly failed to understand the passion generated by all sides...... Maybe It makes good sense to just stay out of that one forever (seriously I moan about a bunch of scrotes Armardaring their way pissing me off with their tarps and general darkness (A dark miasma surrounds their craft..peripheral darkness if you will, look directly at the craft and it's a black hamerite painted boat...... Look away slightly and there's just a depression in the water.. Bloody floating witchcraft if you ask me).

I'm no keyboard warrior, rather have a pint tbh.......mind you, one or two on here are very sensitive....

Maybe I'm just from a different parish :)

I am amused by your description of this mob. I think we all understand where your concerns are coming from. I suppose any opportunity to live virtually free on the cut will attract shall we say some odd sods. Lets face it if you wish to avoid the attention of the authorities what better place to live than the canal. Have you thought that they may not be earthlings? I think you should proceed with caution do not enter the blackness, however if you can smell the dreaded weed I think your probably safe.

Cheers Nick,

I don't have many posts, simply because I had little to add.

I wasn't buying before now, I honestly didn't give a monkeys are about the cc cm home moored debate, enjoyed it immensely, I honestly failed to understand the passion generated by all sides...... Maybe It makes good sense to just stay out of that one forever (seriously I moan about a bunch of scrotes Armardaring their way pissing me off with their tarps and general darkness (A dark miasma surrounds their craft..peripheral darkness if you will, look directly at the craft and it's a black hamerite painted boat...... Look away slightly and there's just a depression in the water.. Bloody floating witchcraft if you ask me).

I'm no keyboard warrior, rather have a pint tbh.......mind you, one or two on here are very sensitive....

Maybe I'm just from a different parish smile.png

And these boats have moved to Coven you say? Interesting....

• Greenie 1