Boat building from scratch

Alicelock

Featured Posts

Dear all,

I am on the verge of agreeing to have a boat built from the keel up. Brand new, v.excited but I am concerned because I don't want to have my dream turn into a nightmare.

Do you have any general advice about the procedure? What if the costs start spiralling? Is there any way to guarantee this doesn't happen?

Can you think of any major precautions I can and should be taking that would help me see this project through without losing my hair??

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice.

Alice.

You did not ( or didnt want) to mention your builder choice which may have helped someone give a comment with experience with them.

On a more general note, you should have an agreement in writing to cover your specifications which details what you are getting for what cost and when any stage payments are due.Unless you change anything during build your cost really shouldnt spiral.there is a standard format for this contract and if your builder dosnt provide one be cautious!

I have been down this route and it can be quite stressful ensuring everything goes right,I visited every week to keep an eye on progress and managed to spot little things I thought were not as they should be,which had it been left would be difficult or impossible to corerect and then anoy and be a dissapointment.If you are unable for any reason to monitor the build ,the earlier advice to consider a surveyor is good advice.

Hope all goes well and you love and enjoy the boat of your dreams.

, you should have an agreement in writing to cover your specifications which details what you are getting for what cost and when any stage payments are due.Unless you change anything during build your cost really shouldnt spiral.there is a standard format for this contract and if your builder dosnt provide one be cautious!41018551670

Also when you pay anything get an invoice stating that a particular lump of steel is now owned by you. This will protect you from the boat builder declaring bankruptcy and starting up again and selling your boat to somebody else.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

Thank you so, so much. Everyone's comments have been really helpful and swift!

I have chosen Starline Boats (http://www.star-line-boats.co.uk/) in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, anyone heard of them?

The yard manager and owner have been great, informative and open and I'm sure above board (forgive the obvious pun). I have seen the finished product of their previous work and it's to a very high standard and one of their boats was featured on t.v. I am just unsure of the correct procedure and safety mechanisms that keep a project like this on track and the relationships within it professional.

Again, any more information/knowledge is greatly appreciated and I hope to bump into you on the waterways sometime in the future!

Have a good day, we weather looks stunning..

Make sure you really are as fully spec'd as possible, down to fine details, inside and out. Read the contract thoroughly, ask as many questions as you can think of. Check what it includes, eg cranes for launch if needed, loose equipment and so forth. If they are BMF members, they should show you evidence the build is insured in your name as well. If stage paying, agree specific stages of completion and don't pay early. Visit regularly, as often as possible, including unannounced visits. Make sure you have invoices and receipts, and a freedom of lien at the end. Don't make final payment until it's complete, signed off, trial run done, and you are happy with everything. If you are at all unsure of what you are doing, employ a professional to oversee.

but enjoy the experience too!

Edited by Ally

Make ABSOLUTEY sure that everything is specified in minute detail,

all dimensions

size of rooms

placement of features

and on and on.

Threat it as an industrial project materials, quality, specification - full of tiny details. It's a good start if you like the builder and the style and quality of the material he uses. Let him make suggestion of what he'd like to do - from his long experience. Discuss with him those things that you think you'd like - and let him say "Oh I couldn't do that, or that won't look right", rather than you saying " I must have a full length bath and an AGA - both on the same side of the boat....).

I was lucky - my builder said what he wasn't going to do (wide hatch at the back - difficult to do-, side entry - hatch will leak) - because he knew how he would do it and what the final result would look like. I let him get on with it. He knew his craft (= work) and wouldn't allow anything that might reflect on him later.

It should and will take a helluva lot of effort on your part - but if you get involved (not interfere) you will get exactly what you want and need...

As you have posted this in the New to Boating section can we assume you don't have a boat and have never owned one?

If so you are taking a big risk commissioning a new boat.

Buy a second hand boat, sail it for a year or so, meet lots of boat owners and gain some experience before embarking on what could be a costly mistake.

thanks again for all your advice. I am much more apprehensive about going forward with the boat building - which is a good thing really i think as I was being a bit naive. One thing I am now unsure of is the man we were dealing with seems a bit like a yes man - agreeing to everything we say we want without actually explaining the logistics of it all. We're going to take a little break and do some more research before going any further! can any of you recommend a boat builders that you guys have used? thanks! :-)

I'd be inclined not to - 'cos I suspect you'd give them a lot of grief.......

Try cain - as I've said previously - look I'll even give you a link:-

http://www.cainnarrowboats.com/cain_narrowboats_7_024.htm

Although they're full up they're great folks and provided you treat their time as valuable - as you may not buy from them - they are sympathetic and do fit larger baths...

Sounds like you should be Ally's first customer for her boat building consultancy service.. Ally has many years experience and could save you much time and hassle by helping you design a clear spec for a boat that you can then take to builders.. May well save you £ overall as well as time. See boat building and maintenance sub forum for thread..

See this thread for discussion on Ally's new business. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=74736#entry1533800

Ally used to be the design and management half of Beacon Boats till they had to close last year due to the illness of the other half. She has all the advice you need locked in her head :-) A few days of her time to sort out what you need/want/can get will pay huge dividends later on, whether you eventually go down the second hand or the new build route.