What The Broker Saw

BlueStringPudding

How truthful ought a broker be when selling a boat?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. They've got to make a living but we've gotta live in what they're selling... so how honest should they be?

• Completely honest and risk losing a sale?
    • Snazz up the goods in the ads but confess the truth when asked a specific question?
    • Say anything to get a sale... it's the purchaser's fault if they miss something?

Featured Posts

I am surprised that the broker bothers to mention on the advert that they have a survey available from November 2005. Personally, I wouldn't take much notice of a survey which was done last week never mind well over a year ago - who knows what has happened to the boat since the survey date. A survey is only an opinion of the condition of the boat on the day, just like an MOT report on a car. Surely a prudent buyer should commission their own survey.

Howard Anguish

• 2 weeks later...

I myself looked at this boat when at the marina! It was also my first boat viewing!!

luckily it hasnt put us of... just let us know after reading this certain places to steer clear of

oh and the boat is as awful and more than the pictures!

I agree also alot of boats we looked had, had junk and rubbish in them.. !

Edited by Knotty

I myself looked at this boat when at the marina! It was also my first boat viewing!!

luckily it hasnt put us of... just let us know after reading this certain places to steer clear of

oh and the boat is as awful and more than the pictures!

I agree also alot of boats we lucked had, had junk and rubbish in them.. !

Hi Knotty,

It was my first boat viewing too... just as well we're thick skinned (unlike Nb Durham!) as it could have put us off boats for life!

:cheers:

Hi Knotty,

It was my first boat viewing too... just as well we're thick skinned (unlike Nb Durham!) as it could have put us off boats for life!

I once went to a local brokers and was looking for a cheap project boat to do up and sell. The broker told me of a boat he had just taken on, lying in Yelvertoft, which was well within my budget but he hadn't found anyone willing to move it because of a 'rodent problem'. Being unsqueamish about such matters I said I'd go and view it and, even if I didn't want it, I'd drag it back for him.

Went to Yelvertoft and found the boat. On the outside the boat looked like an ok project boat. I boarded, opened the rear hatch and looked in. This is no exaggeration. The floor was grey and heaving. There wasn't a square inch of surface on that boat which didn't have a rat rubbing against another. It looked like someone had opened the hatch and poured a skip of rats in, then locked them all in.

I rang the brokerage and said I'd put a pump hose down the chimney collar, turn on the water then come back and refloat the boat when the rats were gone but he was loathe to infict a plague on the good folk of Yelvertoft. I never found out what happened to the boat, or how such a population explosion could occur in such a confined space.

I once went to a local brokers and was looking for a cheap project boat to do up and sell. The broker told me of a boat he had just taken on, lying in Yelvertoft, which was well within my budget but he hadn't found anyone willing to move it because of a 'rodent problem'. Being unsqueamish about such matters I said I'd go and view it and, even if I didn't want it, I'd drag it back for him.

Went to Yelvertoft and found the boat. On the outside the boat looked like an ok project boat. I boarded, opened the rear hatch and looked in. This is no exaggeration. The floor was grey and heaving. There wasn't a square inch of surface on that boat which didn't have a rat rubbing against another. It looked like someone had opened the hatch and poured a skip of rats in, then locked them all in.

I rang the brokerage and said I'd put a pump hose down the chimney collar, turn on the water then come back and refloat the boat when the rats were gone but he was loathe to infict a plague on the good folk of Yelvertoft. I never found out what happened to the boat, or how such a population explosion could occur in such a confined space.

OH MY GOD!!!

that made me squirm!! Blimey!!!

Grim!

dug around a little these were the details I was sent on the lovely green boat!

I was partically drawn to the last comment.. Ideal for small family clean and tidy... We were thinking ideal for our first boat.. well worth a look, and was only up for £27k ! I wouldnt of even bought it for my dogs to live on

BOAT STYLE: Cruiser LENGTH: 61ft

BUILDER/FIT OUT: Peak forest cruisers/owner renovation

OVERALL CONDITION: reasonably well kept with some modernization and replaced equipment. Survey available from 11/05.

ACCOMMODATION: foredeck with doors leading to forward double bedroom containing fixed double, followed by offset storage room, then the renovated galley style kitchen with 12v fridge, Vanette GG7000 oven/grill, and Vanette 4000/2 4-hobs.

Living area with solid fuel stove then an offset partially re-fitted bathroom and last rear double bunks and doors leading to aft cruiser deck.

ELECTRICS/ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT: 1x start and 1x domestic battery.

12v lighting and sockets throughout.

GALLEY EQUIPMENT; 12v fridge, Vanette GG7000 oven/grill and 4000/2 4-hob.

HEATING: Solid fuel stove and radiators from engine via calorifier.

HOT WATER: Engine via calorifier.

TANK CAPACITIES: 150-gallon approx, domestic cold water approx.

45-gallon, diesel approx.

GAS: 2x 13kg propane gas cylinders housed in aft locker/seats.

GENERAL EQUIPMENT TO BE INCLUDED: All equipment to be included in the sale.

BSC: Yes EXPIRES: 03/08 LICENCE: Na

GENERAL COMMENTS: Very clean and tidy craft, ideal for small family, great first boat. Plenty of space for a live aboard.

The thing is now we have increased our budget there was another boat I ''really really'' liked there I feel inclined to leave a third viewing of it we were thinking of putting a deposit down on it, Its all alot harder than a realised this buying a boat lark and I feel totally out of my depth! I have spent many years buying and selling items and also horses, and always been confident I know what to look for, and what to say..and what makes alarm bells ring!

This is I feel lost on!! Arghhh I just havent got a bloomin clue! I am finding it increasingly hard to trust ..I guess at the end of the day its just very important to get a full survey! Which with our distinct lack of any knowledge is a definate certainty :smiley_offtopic:

Edited by Knotty

dug around a little these were the details I was sent on the lovely green boat!

I was partically drawn to the last comment.. Ideal for small family clean and tidy... We were thinking ideal for our first boat.. well worth a look, and was only up for £27k ! I wouldnt of even bought it for my dogs to live on

BOAT STYLE: Cruiser LENGTH: 61ft

BUILDER/FIT OUT: Peak forest cruisers/owner renovation

OVERALL CONDITION: reasonably well kept with some modernization and replaced equipment. Survey available from 11/05.

ACCOMMODATION: foredeck with doors leading to forward double bedroom containing fixed double, followed by offset storage room, then the renovated galley style kitchen with 12v fridge, Vanette GG7000 oven/grill, and Vanette 4000/2 4-hobs.

Living area with solid fuel stove then an offset partially re-fitted bathroom and last rear double bunks and doors leading to aft cruiser deck.

ELECTRICS/ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT: 1x start and 1x domestic battery.

12v lighting and sockets throughout.

GALLEY EQUIPMENT; 12v fridge, Vanette GG7000 oven/grill and 4000/2 4-hob.

HEATING: Solid fuel stove and radiators from engine via calorifier.

HOT WATER: Engine via calorifier.

TANK CAPACITIES: 150-gallon approx, domestic cold water approx.

45-gallon, diesel approx.

GAS: 2x 13kg propane gas cylinders housed in aft locker/seats.

GENERAL EQUIPMENT TO BE INCLUDED: All equipment to be included in the sale.

BSC: Yes EXPIRES: 03/08 LICENCE: Na

GENERAL COMMENTS: Very clean and tidy craft, ideal for small family, great first boat. Plenty of space for a live aboard.

The thing is now we have increased our budget there was another boat I ''really really'' liked there I feel inclined to leave a third viewing of it we were thinking of putting a deposit down on it, Its all alot harder than a realised this buying a boat lark and I feel totally out of my depth! I have spent many years buying and selling items and also horses, and always been confident I know what to look for, and what to say..and what makes alarm bells ring!

This is I feel lost on!! Arghhh I just havent got a bloomin clue! I am finding it increasingly hard to trust ..I guess at the end of the day its just very important to get a full survey! Which with our distinct lack of any knowledge is a definate certainty :smiley_offtopic:

Yes, that's the blurb they sent me too. I thought the "Very clean and tidy boat" line a corker too!

I don't know about you, but with broker tactics like that, I wouldn't view another boat at either of their yards even if it did looked perfect. I just don't trust them (and let's face it, there's only so far one's supposed to trust a seller of anything, but they take the proverbial custard cream... :D )

I'm surprised you even considered a third viewing of that other boat with that broker... but maybe I just hold grudges! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Just be patient and keep looking. We bought every canal mag, subscribed to Towpath Talk and spent an hour a night on the interthinggy. It took us about 6 months of trawling, but we ended up with a fantastic boat, with a keen price and an excellent mooring. So it can be done!

Towpath Talk now offers free classified advertising for all boat related ads.