our Holiday

Stephen and Kate

Featured Posts

Hi everybody

We are not new to narrowboats having done the Cheshire Ring, The Four Counties Ring, The Black Country Ring and a "there and back" on the leeds and Liverpool but this year we are looking do something a little different and doing the Stourport Ring in an anti clockwise direction leaving from Napton Boats at Autherley Junction. There is just the 2 of us going and I don't think the canals will pose too much of a problem to us. My Question is "what is Narrow Boating like on the River Severn. We aim to join the river at Stourport Junction and go south to Diglis Basin. Looking at google maps the turn from the river into Diglis looks a little hairy. Am I best to go past and then come back north to the basin r can I get in from the north. Any help would be appreciated please and thanks

We did it a few years back when hiring a yellow peril. It was enjoyable. We had perfect weather and the Severn was not high or fast flowing. How good the Severn is is totally dependent upon the weather, both present and recent past. When approaching Diglis we went past and approached the lock against the flow, much easier for us at the time.

Hi both. We live and moor in Stourport so do this trip often. The turn into Diglis is nothing to worry about, however, if the Severn is running a bit faster than normal we take a swing towards the opposite bank, go past the turn slightly and come alongside the floating pontoon/lock mooring. You don't say what time of year you intend doing the trip but, if you do it in the season there is normally a lockie at Diglis to help out. It is a wide lock so loads of room. We always think the trip down to Worcester is a tad boring although you have the river locks to do ( fully manned )We usually overnight at Worcester racecourse which is a nice mooring. You are supposed to walk along to the car park and pay £3 for a nights mooring. Do try and spend the night in Stourport, well worth it. You always have the option of the Droitwich canal of course but then you miss out Worcester which is always worth a visit. If it has been raining heavily for any length of time before you go it is worth checking the severn is not in flood. Sure the hire company would let you know anyway. If you have any more queries don't hesitate to ask or PM me.

Colin

Hi

Its a fab bit of river. The turn in to Diglis at normal summer levels is a doddle, one of the easiest river exits I can think of on the system. If there is a bit of a flow do a bit of ferry gliding. You simply must visit the Angel.

Enjoy

Tim

In the summer I doubt the flow will be much of an issue there. But you would want to got past the lock and turn back upstream anyway to come into the pontoon to let the lock crew off. If you look on Google maps you will be able to see the pontoon, it is the one near the lock you want, the other is visitor moorings, you can stop on that if you want to overnight.