Generator question

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

Many have a dedicated secondary stator winding for the 12 volt charging output.

The Honda EU20i for example has only a bridge rectifier between the dedicated stator and the 12 volt output socket. It therfore gives an unregulated output limited in power by the size of this stator.

I made my generator from an old honda G40 I picked up off a farmer, and an alternator that I got for a £10 from a local car breaker. Using jump leads at the moment till I knock some cables with anderson plugs up, but its a damn sight better than a battery charger in my eyes!

Mv1R4SE.jpg

I have this ancient 12 volt only (well actually 6-12-24, but not 240 ac) Honda genny that can output about 15 amps continuosly. It can also put up to 16 volts across the bank and is good for desulphation purposes. It is unbelievably quiet. I have had numerous attempts of people trying to purchase it!

S4021911.jpg

Edited by Guest

The 8 amp 12v winding common on cheap generators is seperate to the main winding, its just a donut sized bit added on to the end of the alternator as an after thought.

I have a Honda ED400 like the above, they are good machines, based on Ex650 engines, which means engine parts were easy to source.. They have no charge control though. I've never seen anything off the shelf that could be used with it ? Suggestions please. They go for about £100 on eBay, there's quite often one on there.

The yellow Chinese battery charger in the picture has / had a 40 % return rate, I don't think anyone will stock then anymore.

Edited by onionbargee

The Honda G40 engined charger in the picture could be improved by a bigger pulley on the engine, 5 or 6 inch diameter. Run the engine at about 2000 / 2200 rpm, for less noise and less wear, and the Bosch alternator at around 5000 rpm, which should get you near full output.

As long as the engine can produce enough power at that rpm to match the alternator's requirements.

In theory 23 amps per hp is an accepted figure for 14.8 v. the G40 engine is 3 .3 hp a 3600 rpm, and that looks like an 80 amp Bosch, so it is too big.

You need some kind of charge control to make it work. A car alternator isn't a leisure battery charger .

Edited by onionbargee