Top end of the BCN

Rufford

Featured Posts

Goscote/Bloxwich can be a hairy place at the wrong time of day with a bit of bad luck, the rest of it is generally fine, same as the rest of the system. I pretty much recommend the whole BCN, I love it.

Much quieter now and as the dreaded Shakespeare crescent has been levelled much less trouble from locals. Only one scruffy garden now between Pelsall and Birchills.

Water points at Longwood, Silver st (Brownhills), Birchills (best avoided), Sneyd and Wolverhampton. Secured mooring outside the United Kingdom in Willenhall and good moorings at Bentley Bridge.

Wyrley is deep all the way, we draw 3ft 3" underway and encounter little problems other than fresh dumped rubbish. Enjoy it, its quiet and very rural in places.

On to the BCN I go then :-)

I keep trying to get Burntwood council to consider putting lock gates up to Chasewater....imagine being able to cruise on Chasewater :-) Sad thing is, it probably would have worked out cheaper than rebuilding the dam :(

Thank you for letting me know the water points Laurence, it is much appreciated.

Hi,

I'm currently at Atherstone and planning to visit Birmingham in the next week or two and moor up near Gas Street, possibly at the Mail Box or the loop. I'll be coming down from Fazeley junction and am thinking of stopping overnight at the top of the Cudworth flight (or part way up dependant on the weather) and then again around Salford junction or Cuckoo wharf. Any tips for good moorings would be appreciated.

Hi,

I'm currently at Atherstone and planning to visit Birmingham in the next week or two and moor up near Gas Street, possibly at the Mail Box or the loop. I'll be coming down from Fazeley junction and am thinking of stopping overnight at the top of the Cudworth flight (or part way up dependant on the weather) and then again around Salford junction or Cuckoo wharf. Any tips for good moorings would be appreciated.

Around Salford Junction i would say you have two choices, Star City or Cuckoo Wharf. Is Ashted closed at the moment? If so you would be going up Aston locks so Cuckoo Wharf is the most convenient.

We normally stop 100yds or so above curd worth top lock before the first bridge. Even though it seems quite close to the M6 toll feeder, no-one uses that over night so it's very quiet. The actual Curdworth visitor moorings are in a rather gloomy and muddy cutting. Watch out for the narrow exit from Curdworth tunnel (potential for handrail scraping if the level is up a bit). You can safely stop in any of the longer pounds in Curdworth flight, but traffic noise from the M42 can be a bit intrusive once you get past the dog and doublet.

As said, star city or cuckoo wharf for a stop near Salford Jn. It is not too far to reverse in or out of star city if you intend to go up Aston flight.

If you find yourself in the Cannock Extension needing water you can borrow my hose. Depending on your boat length though you'll have to reverse back out under the bridge and wind in the Grove though.

Rufford ought to get round at the entrance to CTS, we've turned 71'6" boats there a few times. Fenders off, move the ladder out of the way, and pull the foreend around from the towpath.

72' doesn't quite go, by a couple of inches- don't ask me how I know...

Thomas Shelby?

don't hire him your boat, he'll just cover up the nice paint with tarpaulins, and steer with the tiller bar off.

Rufford ought to get round at the entrance to CTS, we've turned 71'6" boats there a few times. Fenders off, move the ladder out of the way, and pull the foreend around from the towpath.

72' doesn't quite go, by a couple of inches- don't ask me how I know...

don't hire him your boat, he'll just cover up the nice paint with tarpaulins, and steer with the tiller bar off.

I know how you know. I watched you reverse Willow up to the Grove.

Well I think I have found around 20 miles of 'safe' canals - e.g no in Bloxwich or Birchills - so it looks like I could have a nice little cruising circle.

The only issue now is water points, where are they? I cant seem to find many in the map books and just how deep are these canals? Rufford is dragging on the bottom half the time as it is...

Lots of things to bounce over on the Curly Wyrley, (we're 3' plus a bit when going along, too) so a bit wobbly at times but not too bad at all. Worst thing is when you run over something that stops the back end swinging to the outside on a corner, and you clout the bank. In front of some of the only people we saw all day!

I know how you know. I watched you reverse Willow up to the Grove.

I know you do :) it was very close, though- there's a brick course just under the water at the towpath edge, and the end of the baseplate caught it. We might've got round were it not for that.

• 1 year later...

Not sure about carparking, I've never looked out for it since we are just holiday boaters. We've been through Bloxwich twice, never had any trouble but it does look pretty grim and I wouldn't want to leave my boat there. What is you company livery? (I'm thinking Police Ltd!)

You have CRT moorings & facilities at Sneyd That's in Bloxwich!