MPPT Controller and monitoring

Loafer

Featured Posts

There's wattmeters for model batt testing on Ebay that should record power OK, also the Ebay seller 'elite.element' does combo meters that record volts/amps/Ah/Wh

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thanks Pete. I might get me one of those!

I would like to replace my £29.99 Chinese MPPT regulator with a better model, which in particular needs to show me accumulated Ah of received solar energy over each day, or cumulative. I'm a sad old git who needs to know things.

I have searched the internet, and found that some models have a remote display. Unfortunately, their descriptions don't really explain the functions very clearly.

Does anyone here have such a beast, and if so, can I have it please?

Unfortunately those cheap MPPT regulators are not MPPT. They are just regular pwm regulators with MPPT written on them as a NAME. A real MPPT regulator will boost the output amps, easily measurable with a clamp on DC ammeter, ie input 10 amps output 18 amps. Also a real MPPT regulator is fairly chunky, it has a large high frequency transformer inside. BUYER BEWARE

Unfortunately those cheap MPPT regulators are not MPPT. They are just regular pwm regulators with MPPT written on them as a NAME. A real MPPT regulator will boost the output amps, easily measurable with a clamp on DC ammeter, ie input 10 amps output 18 amps. Also a real MPPT regulator is fairly chunky, it has a large high frequency transformer inside. BUYER BEWARE

That's exactly why I'm replacing it. There are good videos on Utube about how rubbish some of these cheap controllers are.

I dunno how to post a link but once in Utube, look for this one under a search for 'mppt':

Review: MPPT-M20 Solar Charge Controller #2 - A Devious Fraud Edited by Loafer

The popular and reliable Bimble Solar sells Chinese MPPT controllers which go by the name of Tracer (as others have mentioned). Many people here have bought one, and there have been very few reported problems (if any).

I have the 40 Amp model and it works fine. I would very strongly suggest that anybody looking for an inexpensive but genuine MPPT controller looks no further than Bimble and Tracer.

The Chinese are very capable of turning out good stuff under good brand names (think Apple). Gradually Tracer is acquiring a good reputation. The Chinese are also prone to churn out some utter manure with no brand name. Personally I am happy to take a punt where the price is just a few smackers, but when paying £100 or more, I seek the safety of a brand name.

Short version: Buy a Tracer.

Edited by George94

Do you have it installed yet, George? How well does it work? Can it show you accumulated Amp-hours?

I wish I could tell you something, but the dear old Royal Mail delivered it to somebody in another house (unspecified) with a name that nobody has ever heard of. I have asked Bimble to investigate.

I wish I could tell you something, but the dear old Royal Mail delivered it to somebody in another house (unspecified) with a name that nobody has ever heard of. I have asked Bimble to investigate.

Could be worse George, it could have been delivers by Yodel who would have sworn blind that you had signed for it.

Phil

I had a parcel from Yodel. I was following the tracking. Suddenly it updated to "customer not in, will try again tomorrow". This was strange, as I had stayed in all day waiting for the parcel.

When it was delivered the next day I subjected the driver to the third degree. He eventually admitted that when he was running late, he signed them off as "customer not in" so that he could get home at a reasonable time and without his employer penalising him for failing to meet his delivery targets.

Says more about today's employment practice's and obsession with targets than anything else.

Does your mate know how to get the interface language changed to English, from Chinese? This is the MT50, the white meter.

Anyone?

I had this problem. Look for it on bimblesolar.com and there is a link at the bottom of the product information page to do just that.

Tom