Rivers of Devon and Cornwall

Captain Zim

Featured Posts

Yes, sorry, I realise there are a few options. What I meant was, of the possibilities are there any particular places people could recommend. For example, I'd love to live on the dart as my family are from totnes, but it seems unlikely that I could cruise and moor in this area. But maybe I could?

Boat would be seagoing fishing vessel

Zim, I live down there when not on the narrowboat and have motored and sailed quite a bit of the area. You're gonna need to get hold of the appropriate charts and almanacs to look at the navigational issues commensurate with your own sailing capabilities and those of your boat. It is possible to do what you want to do on, for example, the Fowey, the Tamar, the Dart and a whole load of creeks and inlets but, if you wish to do something other than have a moored houseboat, you need to understand what you're up against in tidal waters.

• Greenie 1

Zim, I live down there when not on the narrowboat and have motored and sailed quite a bit of the area. You're gonna need to get hold of the appropriate charts and almanacs to look at the navigational issues commensurate with your own sailing capabilities and those of your boat. It is possible to do what you want to do on, for example, the Fowey, the Tamar, the Dart and a whole load of creeks and inlets but, if you wish to do something other than have a moored houseboat, you need to understand what you're up against in tidal waters.

Thanks. I have sailed a bit and a good few years back I used to sail and live on a 27' folkboat. I'm not a novice although admittedly I never took any formal qualifications either. But I know how to use a chart and am fairly competent. I suppose I was wondering if it were possible to take a permanent mooring for a large size boat (60-70') and use her occasionally for local jaunts to moor up in isolation and read the paper. I've been looking at places like Saltash or further inland.

We are from Totnes and lived there for over 50 years, although now on the canals. There are a few people that live on the Dart ,but not very many. It's totally differant to the canals.In the summer it can not be beaten ,but the winter is completely differant .The tide makes a big differance to your daily activities especially if you are on a drying out mooring. It would certainly be a lot harder living on a river than on the canals,unless of course you opted for a marina.. What ever you decide All the best to you ...

Thanks Graham.

I know it's not strictly canals but I know there are a few on here who boat elsewhere so I thought it was worth asking.

It isn't but it's still boats!

Others know more than I do, but when I was (very briefly) chairman elect of the South West IWA I wanted to promote the idea that all these tidal waterways were of interest. They certainly are to me, but then I define inland waterway as inland of the partially smooth waters limit (and on occasion beyond that - such as Immingham and Cardiff for example)

I know about some moorings locally.

North Devon is a bit hard core though, not many pontoons and clubhouses..

Some wonderful places on the Taw/Torridge estury but you have to be a bit inventive on getting to and from the boat.

My favorite bit is between Appledore and Instow both good places to visit, at least with Instow you can walk to and from the boat across the sand when the tides out.

Some wonderful places on the Taw/Torridge estury but you have to be a bit inventive on getting to and from the boat.

My favorite bit is between Appledore and Instow both good places to visit, at least with Instow you can walk to and from the boat across the sand when the tides out.

I know. I moor in Bideford :-)

there is the great western canal in devon, not sure about moorings though.

Neil

Moorings is easy... Just not allowed the boat! Other facilities are a bit lacking as well. Nearest pump out is probably somewhere near Bath.

That's a no then, why can't you have a boat on it ?

You can, but you can't live on it - and that is rigorously enforced.

edited for two thiings

Luctor beat me to it, and when a canal is owned by the local planning authority they don't mess about

Edited by magpie patrick

So how about the south in or around Tavistock?

Well, the Tavy is inches deep and fast flowing in parts, whilst the Tavistock Canal itself, which is fed by the Tavy, used to run from the Tavistock to the Tamar at Morwelham Quay. The quay was the highest navigable port on the Tamar a couple of hundred years ago, but now just reaching Calstock can be a challenge even in something like a RIB if you don't get your tides dead right, although bigger stuff visits regularly to be fair. The Tavistock Canal itself looks like a challenge for canoeists, goes underground for a stretch, and enters the Tamar through a Hydro power plant, which is why it still exists I believe. If you can find somewhere to crane your boat in, you won't be going far by boat! I haven't walked all of it, but I believe it is popular walk

I think you need to treat yourself to a Devon and Cornwall holiday this year Zim and do a bit of exploring. There are some truly lovely places where you'll see boats residing, but down on the south coast they're mostly in tidal reaches so you need to scope the place out. If you don't have appropriate tickets you probably won't be able to hire a boat to explore on, but you said that you do have experience so I'd still recommend you getting hold of the appropriate nautical charts and almanacs to see where might suit your boat, your needs and your skills. Until you've done that, it's a bit like pin the tail on the donkey.

So how about the south in or around Tavistock?

How far upriver from Bideford or Barnstaple is it possible to take a large craft (say 60x20x7)?

Bideford is as far upstream as you can realisticly go, with anything bigger than a dingy. The tidal moorings in Bideford are not bad, but no servicez at all. There are some mooring opportunities on the east bank, but they are muddy. Best is to come along one weekend, and talk to the locals.