Victron configuration problem

Loafer

Featured Posts

I can't get any of the DIP switches inside my Victron to make any difference to it's operation.

It WAS programmed once by a guy with the interface gear and a laptop.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this problem?

(It's set to bulk and absorb at 14.4V. I just want to change that to 14.7V, as recommended I think by Trojan.)

Ta chaps. (And chapesses)

I can't get any of the DIP switches inside my Victron to make any difference to it's operation.

It WAS programmed once by a guy with the interface gear and a laptop.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this problem?

(It's set to bulk and absorb at 14.4V. I just want to change that to 14.7V, as recommended I think by Trojan.)

Ta chaps. (And chapesses)

Probably a silly question but you are reading the Victron Manual very carefully on how the DIP switches have to be operated to change anything aren't you!!

The whole process is quite long winded, I've studied how The DIP switch system on my Multiplus (2008 vintage) is supposed to work and have set up some alterations but cancelled them before writing to the memory. This was just to gain an idea of how easy/difficult it was.

Richard

It's much, much easier on the software than the DIP switches!

it's also possible on some models to use the remote panel as well.

The Victron website explains all.

Whereabouts are you just in case anyone with a PC interface is close.

Cheers

Gareth

Remind us of the exact model.

Off the top of my head, recalling from the last time I looked at a Victron manual, on some models you have to flick a final DIP switch up and down again to store the settings of the DIP switch.

Yep this one has that thing too. That doesn't work either!

Mine is the 12/1600/70 Multiplus Compact.

Don't lose any sleep over it chaps. I am just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I'm going to get the kit soon anyway, but don't think the software works on a Mac. (Does anyone know that if that's true? Seems to be Windoze only on their site)

It's much, much easier on the software than the DIP switches!

it's also possible on some models to use the remote panel as well.

The Victron website explains all.

Whereabouts are you just in case anyone with a PC interface is close.

Cheers

Gareth

I'm planning to get my own interface, ta. I just wanted to 'up' the voltage for my new T105s arriving tomorrow!

Shroppie, between Brewood and Cheswardine.

What I'm really looking for though, is a 'fix' for the DIP switches' refusal to co-operate!

It will be a lot of arse for anyone to travel here just to change me charge voltage - but thank you for the thought.cheers.gif

The software is pc only I'm afraid....I use it on my Mac running paralells and windoze XP and both the Victron and Mastervolt interfaces work well....well as well as Windoze ever works!

Have you tried using the remote panel to change the voltage?....I must admit I've always used the interfaces as everything else looked like hard work.

Edited to add.....

Even when you set the voltage on the software do check the actual battery voltage....there is quite a difference on my Victron Phoneix charger even using the battery sense connection and correct size wiring etc. Apprently it's not uncommon. I've set the voltage on the software about .4v lower than it should be to get the correct voltage at the batteries.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

The software is pc only I'm afraid....I use it on my Mac running paralells and windoze XP and both the Victron and Mastervolt interfaces work well....well as well as Windoze ever works!

Have you tried using the remote panel to change the voltage?....I must admit I've always used the interfaces as everything else looked like hard work.

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth I'm sorry but I don't get you. You say: 'I use it on my Mac running paralells and windoze...etc. That seems to tell me that you were successfully running it on a Mac.

I'm assuming that you DON'T use it on your Mac, because you started by saying it's PC only. Can you confirm? I'm sorry if I seem to be a bit pedantic!

So reading the manual:

Victron in inverter mode (no mains connected)

Move DIP switch 4 to on

Move DIP switch 8 to on, then off.

LEDs "charger" and "alarm" flash to indicate acceptance of the changes.

Thank you for taking the time to look it up for me, nickorman. I have read the book and tried that before though. It seems as though the switches are just being ignored, including the save function on 8.

I WILL now try once more though, whilst awaiting me new Trojans!

Thank you for taking the time to look it up for me, nickorman. I have read the book and tried that before though. It seems as though the switches are just being ignored, including the save function on 8.

I WILL now try once more though, whilst awaiting me new Trojans!

I'm totally clutching at straws, but if you have a remote panel maybe you should try it with the panel disconnected and the Victron newly powered up. Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

I'm totally clutching at straws, but if you have a remote panel maybe you should try it with the panel disconnected and the Victron newly powered up.

That's more than clutching at straws. That's a possible Eureka moment! I do indeed have a remote panel, which gerzinter the same RJ45 socket in the box. Greenie, even if it doesn't work!

Gareth I'm sorry but I don't get you. You say: 'I use it on my Mac running paralells and windoze...etc. That seems to tell me that you were successfully running it on a Mac.

I'm assuming that you DON'T use it on your Mac, because you started by saying it's PC only. Can you confirm? I'm sorry if I seem to be a bit pedantic!

Paralells is a program which creates a virtual machine which can run a windows operating system....in my case running XP but the newer versions can run windows 8.

You need to buy both paralells and a copy of your prefered windows opertating system then you can run windows programs on your Mac. You should also be able to boot your Intel based Mac using bootcamp so it just runs windows but paralells means you can swtich between Mac and PC systems which I find more useful.

Hope that explains it a bit better.

Cheers

Gareth

PS if you are near foxton give us a shout and I can show you both that and the interface!

Not sure which model you have but it seems the DIP switch settings need to be saved by pressing the Up button for two seconds. This then allows the same switches to perform other setting functions before they in turn are saved by pressing the Down button for 2 seconds. Its all explained in the manual.

Both the buttons are located to right of DIP switches as shown in Appendix A of manual which I downloaded here

Not sure which model you have but it seems the DIP switch settings need to be saved by pressing the Up button for two seconds. This then allows the same switches to perform other setting functions before they in turn are saved by pressing the Down button for 2 seconds. Its all explained in the manual.

Both the buttons are located to right of DIP switches as shown in Appendix A of manual which I downloaded here

It's not one of those, sadly, and the up/down buttons don't exist in mine. It's all done with the no8 switch. Except on mine!

(12/1600/70)

I'm totally clutching at straws, but if you have a remote panel maybe you should try it with the panel disconnected and the Victron newly powered up.

Excellent! That sorted it. For those still interested:

Having told the Multi to use only it's own on/off/inv switch on it's front panel (Sw 1& 2), and removing the data cable from the socket, the DIPs became fully functional again. I could then change the stuff I wanted to change, then plugged the controller back in. Then set the DIP switches (1&2) to read the controller again.

Job done! Happy again. Have another greenie!

ETA: I can't add another greenie to your post. Respond to this one and I'll greenie that instead!

Edited by Loafer

Excellent! That sorted it. For those still interested:

Having told the Multi to use only it's own on/off/inv switch on it's front panel (Sw 1& 2), and removing the data cable from the socket, the DIPs became fully functional again. I could then change the stuff I wanted to change, then plugged the controller back in. Then set the DIP switches (1&2) to read the controller again.

Job done! Happy again. Have another greenie!

ETA: I can't add another greenie to your post. Respond to this one and I'll greenie that instead!

Well not that I am looking for Greenies of course... But delighted to have been of help! I have to say, it is this sort of issue that makes me glad I have Mastervolt!

• Greenie 1

Well not that I am looking for Greenies of course... But delighted to have been of help! I have to say, it is this sort of issue that makes me glad I have Mastervolt!

I have never owned Mastervolt stuff, but I can't really fault Victron. I just didn't read the instructions properly. There were always there.

They sound very similar machines , since you provided a solution to a 'Victron Problem'! Also, I seem to be the only person in the world to have had this problem!

I'll get Mastervolt next, but I think I might be dead by then!

Well have it anyway, for the one idea that worked easily!

Many thanks for the offers of the interface by the way. Most kind.