Sterling Reverse Pulse Battery. Pro Pulse & Sterling Combi

Groundhog

Featured Posts

Today I pulled the DC side of the boat a part and re connected everything partly to correct some obvious problems and partly so I fully understand the system on this boat. I 'found' dangling around at the bottom of the old battery enclosure, connected though, a Sterling De-sulphation unit. I had no idea it was even there. I just checked on the Sterling site to see what it was as I had no idea.

The product blurb says that if a Sterling digital 4 stage charger is used then this device is unnecessary. I have a Sterling combi which does indeed have a digital 4 stage charger. Does the use of this unit explain the long life of the batteries or does it indicate that the previous owner was barking mad? I haven't fitted it. Should I?

Also what is a 4 stage charger, bulk, absorption, float, ???

4the stage is normally a periodic "return to bulk" or maybe "equalise" depending on the model.

The fourth mode is instigated by monitoring the voltage in float (third) mode. During this mode the battery is held at the pre-set float voltage with minimal current being drawn by the batteries. The chargers max output current is therefore available to supply external loads whilst maintaining the float voltage. If the load exceeds this current though battery volts will eventually drop. When and if they reach 12.7 volts the charger reverts to first mode (constant current) and the full three stage cycle repeats.

As Nick suggests some of the Sterling chargers have an auto "equalise" mode. Not a true one, but every 15 days or so the full three stage cycle is repeated briefly to offset sulphation, in the case of boat being left unattended for long periods whilst on float.

Clever. So the 4th stage isn't so much a charging stage as it is the charger being clever about maintaining the batteries. If the previous owner did keep the boat on shore power and go out as little as I'm led to believe it would explain the batteries being nearly 8 years old and appearing to be in great condition.

Do I refit the desulphation device though or is it completely useless?

Clever. So the 4th stage isn't so much a charging stage as it is the charger being clever about maintaining the batteries. If the previous owner did keep the boat on shore power and go out as little as I'm led to believe it would explain the batteries being nearly 8 years old and appearing to be in great condition.

My understanding (I fitted one a few months ago) is that it will help when you are out cruising (ie not on shore power) and using your batteries quite a bit.

From memory it switches on at 12.7V (and a red light comes on too).

I would keep it as a stand-alone device if circumstances dictate you need to de-sulphate batteries.

FWIW I have never felt the need to run a full equalise charge to de-sulphate my batteries in nearly twenty years of use on various boats. Multi-stage charging at the highest timed absorb voltage I could get away with, has meant it was never needed.

I would keep it as a stand-alone device if circumstances dictate you need to de-sulphate batteries.

FWIW I have never felt the need to run a full equalise charge to de-sulphate my batteries in nearly twenty years of use on various boats. Multi-stage charging at the highest timed absorb voltage I could get away with, has meant it was never needed.

Do you think the desulphenation device could cause a problem then or do you think it's just pretty much useless?

Do you think the desulphenation device could cause a problem then or do you think it's just pretty much useless?

I had some reasonable results using one to recover a couple of dud batteries. Not sure, though, whether this was due to the de-sulphator or the varied charging voltages (up to 20V) I used.

I did fit one on Copperkins, but disabled, and later removed, it when we started fitting LED lights, as introducing voltage spikes didn't seem a good idea huh.png

Iain

I think you have the answer for that in your first post where you quote the manufacturer.