More from the CRT Online Archive - Sam and Gladys Horne

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

If you go back to Alan Fincher's post No. 7, and click on the link to the HNBOC site, look at the thumbnails and select the front end of DUBHE. This is clearly the back end of the butty going forward, and I am sure built by Roger Farrington in the eighties.

Sorry - it was me who created the confusion with my error. We motorised and converted the hull at Adelaide Dock, but I can't remember offhand what happened to the original butty stern. The photo here is obviously as you say a photo of the stern which we cut off and which was subsequently use to form another craft.

Edited by Tam & Di

Sorry to hear Sam had passed. Wonder what will come of topside cottage now.

Not sure which part of DUBHE we are talking about here, as this shot was taken late eighties (Christmas at The Shovel) when Roger Farrington had her, but I was understanding he had built this from the stern end of DUBHE (stern end going forward). Clearly the same boat as appears in the short tug styled previously shown.

DUBHEforeendGen105Small_zps476bf879.jpg

This is currently for sale - if interested get in touch and I will contact the owner

Laurence, thank you for posting this picture. I would hazard a guess it is the picture the stone mason used for Bert Wallington's head stone. The angle of the boat is the same and it even has the pot of flowers astern of the cabin block.

Astonishing observation! clapping.gif I wonder why the steering position is empty, on the headstone...

So anyone viewing the headstone doesn't think Bert Wallington was a woman? wacko.png

It might also be in deference to the fact that the layout of the headstone anticipates that one day Mrs Wallington may be joining Bert, but not when the headstone was erected?

I think too much is being 'read' into the headstone image. In my eyes it represents a canal boat whose steerer is no longer there. Bert may have been the 'Captain' of the pair, and the stonemason (who may not have been aware of the difference twixt butty and motor) may have been presented with the best image available at the time.

Yes, I agree, I named the wrong person, I now realise!

Looking back through the forum Bert Wallington's great nephew has posted on here in the past.

Linky

Alan

since Ray T posting on the "headstone in a Coventry cemetery" I now know through my connections that the Wallingtons are dist related to me.

You have access to my facebook account look under my friends for a Dean Wallington connected to

my family through the Horne family (have discussed some time ago with you the connection from when I stayed on the Hanwell thicket) Dean & his Mother can tell

all you need to know & can

also clarify who is who in the photo's, also the Jacksons in my friends list

are family

They are also connected to Dean Wallington I am going to try to get them altogether

for Braunston this year

Edited by jeannette smith harrison

• 2 months later...

Just to put the record straight, my Dad, Sam Horne, was never a "boatman" Yes, he'd worked on boats and around canals most of his working life, but he always said that since he hadn't been born into the life, real boatmen still considered him to be a young amateur. He was actually born into a farming life, Northamptonshire/Oxfordshire, always on the move because it didn't take long for his father to fall-out with the farmer employing him. His nickname comes from when he was young. He was called "Little Sam" because of the striking resemblance he bore to his Uncle Sam. Not one of us ever dared to make the obvious joke about this. He still has a sister living in Canada, and one in Abingdon. His ashes now rest with my Mum's in Watford Crematorium grounds. His Cottage was long ago sold to a private landlord and had been sold on to a private owner. If they think they're going to do it up they're in for a surprise. For 40 years my Mum and Dad had tried to get improvements done to it, and all the time it's listed building status stopped them. They even got into trouble because the fence was replaced with natural wood colour and not white painted.