Antique stove back boiler

Captain Zim

Featured Posts

Not knowing the stove but could you not consider a strap ? on steel tank that by removing some fire bricks would heat up via conduction.

I have thought about the heat from the chimney pipe. A 160 degree round tank strapped to this would be a good heat exchanger whilst allowing the flu pipe to be removed if and when needed.

I have a similar stove (dutch) and have been considering bolting a stainless tank to the back but another option would probably to get a firebrick shaped tank made, if your fire has individual bricks not just a single liner.

I don't like a fixed back boiler personally as it is something to malfunction, specially if its got a pump.

Thats why I would favour a bolt on removeable external thing. A bit unsightly in some circumstances I suppose though..

I've got an old Godin stove in the main cabin which is probably 1920's ish. Does anyone know if stoves of this age ever had a back boiler? Or does anyone build custom back boilers? I'd like to put in two or three radiators (no other hot water needed). Thanks

Trojan has a 1934 Godin Radiolette in the saloon. As far as I know there was never a model which had a built-in boiler - there is not really space for one.

I thought that ours was probably the only Radiolette on the canals; what model is yours?

Trojan has a 1934 Godin Radiolette in the saloon. As far as I know there was never a model which had a built-in boiler - there is not really space for one.

I thought that ours was probably the only Radiolette on the canals; what model is yours?

Ours is more like one of those that looks like a miniature empire state building. I suppose it would be termed art deco. I don't know what it's called.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking something behind it as a load of heat is pumped out of the back straight in to the cabin side. Apologies if this is not a back boiler, I probably misunderstood the term. I have no objection to a steel box behind but wouldn't I need to be careful about pressure building up? Or could I just make something from copper pipework?

This is good for finding technical info on old stoves :)

http://www.ultimheat.com/museum1(EN).html

I also have a Chappee 8094 which is going in when/if I get the barge lengthened.

As for the back boiler I reckon a copper tube matrix would work,.but would probably need a pump and a vent somewhere, header tank etc.

Good project :)

Most modern french heating engineers don't understand the concept of having back boilers on stoves, so it seems unlikely that they did back in the days when your old Godin was being made. Retro fitting one shouldn't be too difficult though, and one on the flue pipe has always seemed an obvious place to fit one.

This is good for finding technical info on old stoves :)

http://www.ultimheat.com/museum1(EN).html

I also have a Chappee 8094 which is going in when/if I get the barge lengthened.

As for the back boiler I reckon a copper tube matrix would work,.but would probably need a pump and a vent somewhere, header tank etc.

Good project :)

Wow! That's an amazing website. Thanks!

Eta: godin 404. Bit later than I thought - 1937

Edited by Captain Zim

Ours is more like one of those that looks like a miniature empire state building. I suppose it would be termed art deco. I don't know what it's called.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking something behind it as a load of heat is pumped out of the back straight in to the cabin side. Apologies if this is not a back boiler, I probably misunderstood the term. I have no objection to a steel box behind but wouldn't I need to be careful about pressure building up? Or could I just make something from copper pipework?

Magic site Magnetman. Spent to long looking & am about to be taken to the Band Van by force.. tunes to play people to do.

C.Z. I have sorted something similar on a gas bottle stove. It looked tidy with the pipe work in a stainless, insulated, shield. BUT the pipe work was industrial grade copper pipe and fittings and silver solder was used through out.

AHH! Gerrof me! I'm on my way!

Happy New Year all.

I fitted a Morso squirrel backboiler into my Tim Sistems magic stove works well and has been no problems

Peter

Thats an interesting bit of kit :)

http://www.timsistem.rs/en/magic_stove_en.html

I don't think a normal back boiler will go in a Godin 'empire state building type' stove but it would probably be worth checking.

Did you fix it externally ?