another toilet topic - holding tank level gauges ?

magnetman

Featured Posts

I've got a really fancy LED on the 'cistern'.

GREEN: OK.

RED: Look for a pumpout.

We have one of those, and found it to be very reliable. HOWEVER, it has a couple of drawbacks. On our installation the sensor is too high in the tank, the LED changing from GREEN to RED only gives a few flushes before it is very obvious the tank is full. Not really sufficient notice IMHO. I think 3/4 full would be better. The other drawback is the sensor only tells you when the tank is full, not that it is empty. We have had several pump outs which were only partially achieved. Within a short time the tank was showing full again! At up to £20 a pop I was more than a little miffed!

So this summer we had the Gobius system installed which has three sensors stuck to the outside of the tank at about 25,50 and 75%. The existing LED sensor suffices for the FULL indication. It works very well and confirms that any pump out is at least 75% successful.

Ken

I've got a really fancy LED on the 'cistern'.

GREEN: OK.

RED: Look for a pumpout.

So have I and because I am concerned about what happens should it fail I am having an MSC gauge fitted as well. The odds on them both failing at the same time are tiny...

I installed a Wema sensor. It is a float type. It works.

It is a steel tank.

They recommend that you use a gauge sensor that only extends down about 3/4 of the tank depth.

My toilet is a macerator type & I expect the gauge to function for a long time without clogging up.

I have made my own LED display for it.

Oops, should have said sensor.

I'm going to try using a flood alarm like this one

Noahs Flood alert £6 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111252806667?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

The sensor will be mounted into a 1.5BSP cap, with sikaflex, and the unit itself will be in a visible position near the tank. the wire to the alarm sounder will be removed so that the indication of liquid touching the sensor will be the red LED and not a screaming alarm.

Might work. Don't know but its worth it for sick squid. and if not for the holding tank the unit can be used for other purposes anyway like bath alarm, engine bilge alarm etc etc.

smile.png

Edited by magnetman

I'm going to try using a flood alarm like this one

Noahs Flood alert £6 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111252806667?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

The sensor will be mounted into a 1.5BSP cap, with sikaflex, and the unit itself will be in a visible position near the tank. the wire to the alarm sounder will be removed so that the indication of liquid touching the sensor will be the red LED and not a screaming alarm.

Might work. Don't know but its worth it for sick squid. and if not for the holding tank the unit can be used for other purposes anyway like bath alarm, engine bilge alarm etc etc.

smile.png

Off ebay, did you bidet for it.

Edited by bizzard

This is a fair point. Apparently it is also possible to convert a smoke alarm to sense the presence of a liquid so if the £6 noah's ark thing (yes I was attracted by the boating connection) doesn't work the smoke alarm mod is the next best option.

There is also the CBE Fresh and Waste water alarm for about £40 which might be worth having a go with.