RCD Annex IIIa

clbrof

Featured Posts

Hello all

I am having a widebeam sailaway built and from what I have understood is that the RCD Declaration of Conformity Annex 3a from the boat builder will cover the boat for one year, after which it will have to have full RCD compliance or a BSC?

Have others managed to get insurance and licence with Annex 3a?

Thanks

Hello all

I am having a widebeam sailaway built and from what I have understood is that the RCD Declaration of Conformity Annex 3a from the boat builder will cover the boat for one year, after which it will have to have full RCD compliance or a BSC?

Have others managed to get insurance and licence with Annex 3a?

Thanks

Hi there, we had no trouble with insurance using the hull builders deceleration of conformity.

Nick

The annexed 111a is a declaration of conformity for a part built boat....the hull....and its a good move to at least get a bssc as you fit it out. You can insure with some companies for a "fit out" insurance, where you can increase the value as you go along. Decide early if you are going to fit to RCD or just bss, and keep all documents, receipts, plans, and plenty of photos of the build and installations etc, both for future reference, insurance, and ease of getting certification.

I plan on keeping it, so will probably go down the easier BSS path (by easier, information is more readily available).

I am just concerned about getting it into the water. Don't mind having BSC before it enters the water, just seems like a waste of money, if the Annex 3a will do for a few months.

The annex iii declaration should cover everything that the builder has installed. If you wish to go down the RCD route make sure that the builders make it clear exactly what is covered. (Some simply declare that everything complies without listing the items which may be inadequate as proof of conformity when it comes to completion for full RCD.

I do not know the stage you are at with the development of the boat, but to get a BSSC at least 1 'system' (engine installation, LPG installation, electric installation) must be functioning.

Hello Alan

The boat will be a sailaway, with running engine, so I guess that could count as the 1 'system'?

But if the other systems are only part-complete such as loose wires hanging down waiting for light fitments, the examination cannot be undertaken. As which point the boat may need to be lifted onto hard standing off the waterway.

Also a boat that is not CE marked cannot be sold for five years. Five years is a long time, many thinks can change. A post construction assessment to become legal is expensive. We usually take a few queries a year from people needing to have post-construction assessments. http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards-boats/recreationalcraft-canalboats.htm

It is far easier to take the notes and achieve CE status during the build. Talk to Jonathan Leask for the best advice http://www.ce-craft.com/

Rob

But if the other systems are only part-complete such as loose wires hanging down waiting for light fitments, the examination cannot be undertaken. As which point the boat may need to be lifted onto hard standing off the waterway.

Also a boat that is not CE marked cannot be sold for five years. Five years is a long time, many thinks can change. A post construction assessment to become legal is expensive. We usually take a few queries a year from people needing to have post-construction assessments. http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards-boats/recreationalcraft-canalboats.htm

It is far easier to take the notes and achieve CE status during the build. Talk to Jonathan Leask for the best advice http://www.ce-craft.com/

Rob

Point of order M'Lud.

A boat with no CE mark CAN be sold in under five years, I know because I once bought one in ignorance!

It just leaves the seller open to prosecution, supposedly. My local TS elected not to take any action, stating they had 'bigger fish to fry'.

MtB

Point of order M'Lud.

A boat with no CE mark CAN be sold in under five years, I know because I once bought one in ignorance!

It just leaves the seller open to prosecution, supposedly. My local TS elected not to take any action, stating they had 'bigger fish to fry'.

MtB

And if the purchaser then sells it on, that person I believe becomes liable - I think Hampshire TSD has a note about that.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards/tradingstandards-businessadvice/tradingstandards-business-yacht.htm

NB: the information on this link is aimed at the boat selling businesses, but it has lots of very highly valuable information for anyone considering buying a boat - especially in knowing what the broker/supplier should be doing...

And if the purchaser then sells it on, that person I believe becomes liable - I think Hampshire TSD has a note about that.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards/tradingstandards-businessadvice/tradingstandards-business-yacht.htm

NB: the information on this link is aimed at the boat selling businesses, but it has lots of very highly valuable information for anyone considering buying a boat - especially in knowing what the broker/supplier should be doing...

Rob,

As I understand it an incomplete boat can be sold on without full RCD compliance as many times as you like, provided it is accompanied by a new Annexe IIIa declaration raised by each seller in turn.

Each of the Annexe IIIa declarations should show that any further work towards completion done by each owner (builder in the eyes of the RCD) while they owned it has also complied with RCD requirements.

The owner (builder) who finally completes the boat and "puts it on the market" for the first time must then use all the preceding Annexe IIIa evidence plus any for his own work to raise the full set of RCD paperwork, including the final Annex XV declaration.

Could take years perhaps and at only at the end would the boat become "new" in the eyes of the RCD!!

Of course, for other reasons this might only work for a boat that wasn't yet being used ie parked on some land somewhere.

Richard

Rob,

As I understand it an incomplete boat can be sold on without full RCD compliance as many times as you like, provided it is accompanied by a new Annexe IIIa declaration raised by each seller in turn.

Each of the Annexe IIIa declarations should show that any further work towards completion done by each owner (builder in the eyes of the RCD) while they owned it has also complied with RCD requirements.

The owner (builder) who finally completes the boat and "puts it on the market" for the first time must then use all the preceding Annexe IIIa evidence plus any for his own work to raise the full set of RCD paperwork, including the final Annex XV declaration.

Could take years perhaps and at only at the end would the boat become "new" in the eyes of the RCD!!

Of course, for other reasons this might only work for a boat that wasn't yet being used ie parked on some land somewhere.

Richard

The Hants TSD information makes reference to 'another Annex IIIa' by the next party. I shan't interpret it further.