best time

mck

Featured Posts

any thoughts, i am planning a holiday on the grand union/oxford and ashby canal

not sure when to go,either mid april or early october. was on the llangolin in october wet but nice although the nights got dark early.

any suggestions would be most appreciative

Well I always think the boating season is 6 weeks, from April. This is because there is no weed to speak of, so the Kyme and Drains......Chesterfield Canal etc. are at their easiest. And no fishermen until the middle of June, so you can keep just cruising along without interuptions.

And no fishermen until the middle of June

Think that only applies on rivers, up to the season starting on 15th June. Canals are open to fishing all year - no close season any more. Mind you, most of them don't come back to the banks till the weather warms up a bit!

We always go for our two weeks in May, in between the two bank holidays. Kids at school, leaves on trees, lambs in field and ducklings to feed. Perfect time.

Janet

• 10 months later...
Think that only applies on rivers, up to the season starting on 15th June. Canals are open to fishing all year - no close season any more. Mind you, most of them don't come back to the banks till the weather warms up a bit!

We always go for our two weeks in May, in between the two bank holidays. Kids at school, leaves on trees, lambs in field and ducklings to feed. Perfect time.

Janet

We've been hiring large boats for nearly 15 years, and we always pick the same week. 3rd week in May, so the that the hire ends on the Saturday of the bank holiday weekend. No school holidays, weather can be very good, though it can be awful too - we've had both 90F sunshine/sunburn and hail/snow - though not in the same year ! In 15 years, we've only had 2 really wet weeks, though we have had showery weeks - but with showers, at least you do get to dry off sometimes. Surprisingly, many hire companies see it as being off peak - The prices are always several hundred pounds per week higher after the Bank Holiday. Nuff said - suits us.

Pete.

aka Bona Boaters !

We've been hiring large boats for nearly 15 years, and we always pick the same week. 3rd week in May, so the that the hire ends on the Saturday of the bank holiday weekend. No school holidays, weather can be very good, though it can be awful too - we've had both 90F sunshine/sunburn and hail/snow - though not in the same year ! In 15 years, we've only had 2 really wet weeks, though we have had showery weeks - but with showers, at least you do get to dry off sometimes. Surprisingly, many hire companies see it as being off peak - The prices are always several hundred pounds per week higher after the Bank Holiday. Nuff said - suits us.

Pete.

aka Bona Boaters !

Never been on the G U but this may help about when.

We normally go the first week in October as schools are back so usually get better hire prices, also fewer boats about.

Of the 3 holidays we have had at this time of year we have had one week of rain.

The other 2 holidays where dry most of the time with the odd 1/2 hour of rain.

Does get dark early tough and can get cold at night, but the central heating systems have always been up to the job on the hire boats we have used, Black Prince twice (but we did find them exspensive) and Shire Cruisers once, will be twice when we go with them next year.

Good cruising when ever you go

We've been hiring large boats for nearly 15 years, and we always pick the same week. 3rd week in May, so the that the hire ends on the Saturday of the bank holiday weekend. No school holidays, weather can be very good, though it can be awful too - we've had both 90F sunshine/sunburn and hail/snow - though not in the same year ! In 15 years, we've only had 2 really wet weeks, though we have had showery weeks - but with showers, at least you do get to dry off sometimes. Surprisingly, many hire companies see it as being off peak - The prices are always several hundred pounds per week higher after the Bank Holiday. Nuff said - suits us.Pete.aka Bona Boaters !
Never been on the G U but this may help about when.We normally go the first week in October as schools are back so usually get better hire prices, also fewer boats about.Of the 3 holidays we have had at this time of year we have had one week of rain.The other 2 holidays where dry most of the time with the odd 1/2 hour of rain.Does get dark early tough and can get cold at night, but the central heating systems have always been up to the job on the hire boats we have used, Black Prince twice (but we did find them exspensive) and Shire Cruisers once, will be twice when we go with them next year.Good cruising when ever you go
We've been hiring large boats for nearly 15 years, and we always pick the same week. 3rd week in May, so the that the hire ends on the Saturday of the bank holiday weekend. No school holidays, weather can be very good, though it can be awful too - we've had both 90F sunshine/sunburn and hail/snow - though not in the same year ! In 15 years, we've only had 2 really wet weeks, though we have had showery weeks - but with showers, at least you do get to dry off sometimes. Surprisingly, many hire companies see it as being off peak - The prices are always several hundred pounds per week higher after the Bank Holiday. Nuff said - suits us.Pete.aka Bona Boaters !
Never been on the G U but this may help about when.We normally go the first week in October as schools are back so usually get better hire prices, also fewer boats about.Of the 3 holidays we have had at this time of year we have had one week of rain.The other 2 holidays where dry most of the time with the odd 1/2 hour of rain.Does get dark early tough and can get cold at night, but the central heating systems have always been up to the job on the hire boats we have used, Black Prince twice (but we did find them exspensive) and Shire Cruisers once, will be twice when we go with them next year.Good cruising when ever you go

Similar to my dilemma, 2 weeks in Feb: cold dark early but quiter and cheaper (and I'll get to play with the boatmans stove) or 1 week in May: longer days but busier canal. Although my 40th is feb 5 and I was hoping to be on that wonderful aquaduct on the Llangollen on my birthday. Decisions decisions.

Similar to my dilemma, 2 weeks in Feb: cold dark early but quiter and cheaper (and I'll get to play with the boatmans stove) or 1 week in May: longer days but busier canal. Although my 40th is feb 5 and I was hoping to be on that wonderful aquaduct on the Llangollen on my birthday. Decisions decisions.

It's lovely now. Pushed through ice yesterday, crisp today. Lovely and warm in the boat and hardly anyone around.

Sue

We usually go first full week in September, ok not as cheap as October but longer days plus the weather is usually quite good, often better than August!! Plus the schools are back so no watching children dicing with death in locks and possibly a few less boats about. Mind you I think that those who own boats also avoid school hols so we usually see lots of private boats about. We often go for a short break and plump for a week in May, not half term, and love the contrast with September, baby ducks/swans/lambs etc etc. But go in September and you will see other exciting sights, our best one was a swan, with her partner and 5 cygnets, showing how to take off with very low flying on a long stretch of canal right past our boat, over and over again. Mind you it may just have been her morning workout!!

Julie

With having kids ourselves we find we have to take some hols in the schools hols which is a pain. Otherwise it's long weekends, but we have had some great trips in April, August, October and this time of year.

If you want to see loads of boats, people and stuff, go in April/May.

If you want less boats, less people and more of that 'isolated' feeling, leave it till later.

I think all of the seasons have their advantages.

Let's put it this way, our april break we stopped one day in the same place as it was gorgeous and the towpath was huge and it was great to chill, and we counted over 56 boats pass us on the Ashby.

Same differnce in October, about 10.

• 4 weeks later...
Autumn is IMHO always better. We have had some nice September and October weather

in the last few years. April is a bit hit and miss.

The best is getting up at about 6am when it is still cold and chilly.... setting off and eat your breakfast whilst your cruising :o

Happy times.