Short Boats in Burnley

Featured Posts

w5D9ruM.jpg

JtIocuy.jpg

TheThree boats on Burnley Viaduct leading one marked flyboat.

Two boats at Canal Basin, Bank Hall Colliery.

From Images of England, Burnley. Compiled by Michael Townsend.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

I'm intrigued by the three white posts at the rear of the foredeck on the second boat. Also, is the first boat towing the other two? There is distinct propeller wash form the first boat, much less obvious with the other two.

Also, the last boat seems to be of a very different style, seems to have more sheer and what looks like a stern rail.

Tim

I think the outer two masts are towing masts, as that is where they should be on a horse draw short boat. The first boat being a steamer towing the other two.

Is the back one a keel?

There is a viaduct as part of the embankment over the road to Townley park and the miners Club.

I think the outer two masts are towing masts, as that is where they should be on a horse draw short boat. The first boat being a steamer towing the other two.

Is the back one a keel?

There is a viaduct as part of the embankment over the road to Townley park and the miners Club.

Well, technically an aqueduct, but I think that picture is at the other end of the embankment.

Tim

The photo is definitely from Knott's Bridge looking back to Molly Wood and Rose Grove. Steamers towing dumb boats was the usual way of operating general cargo boats on the L&LC from 1880s-1921, the steamers working fly to a fairly specific timetable. They would normally tow up to three boats, the number depending upon the traffic. As was usual, the empty boat is at the back, and probably has the side towing masts stowed at an angle across the hold, while on the loaded boat they are in place. They would be used at the lock flights in Lancashire where horses and horse marines were stationed to help them up or down the locks. In Yorkshire, usually from Foulridge, the dumb boats would be pulled by a horse with accompanying horse marine, a system which certainly dates back to pre-steamer days. The shape of boats on the L&LC varied, depending upon where they were built, with Yorkshire-built boats having fuller lines. By this time they were somewhat different to keels, but in the late eighteenth century they were identical, cargoes being carried from Hull to Skipton 'in one bottom', ie without transhipment, so the boats would have worked down the tideway. If you can wait a year or so, you will be able to read more in my history of the L&LC, which I am currently revising and extending.

My grandfather owned a mill in Burnley and was caught stealing water from the canal to help run his factory.

nulyne.jpg

There are quite a number of historic records about water used by mills which give details of the mill engine and machinery it drove, should you be interested. Water supply was a profitable sideline for the canal, charges being based on horse power, with a reduction if you used the canal for transport.

There are quite a number of historic records about water used by mills which give details of the mill engine and machinery it drove, should you be interested. Water supply was a profitable sideline for the canal, charges being based on horse power, with a reduction if you used the canal for transport.

I think my grandfather ended up paying £5 a year for the water. He used the water for the boilers, which generated electricity for the factory.

nulynedad.jpg