Marina Moorings

Mr Norman

Featured Posts

Currently my boat is bobbing about in Norfolk on The Broads. I've just about had enough of the lousy A17 as I live in Wakefield. The boat is a Hampton Safari, 25' 6" x 9' 6".

So I'm looking for a mooring with most marina type services such as electric, parking, water etc. Most of the BW marinas appear to have a 7' maximum beam limit which rules those out. Shame, because I could have fancied Lemonroyd.

I always liked Shepley Bridge but have not been there for quite a while. Does anyone know if they are still operational? Is Brian still there?

Alternatively is anyone aware of any other possible vacancies as word of mouth seems more productive than web searches.

Cheers for reading so far!

Currently my boat is bobbing about in Norfolk on The Broads. I've just about had enough of the lousy A17 as I live in Wakefield. The boat is a Hampton Safari, 25' 6" x 9' 6".

So I'm looking for a mooring with most marina type services such as electric, parking, water etc. Most of the BW marinas appear to have a 7' maximum beam limit which rules those out. Shame, because I could have fancied Lemonroyd.

I always liked Shepley Bridge but have not been there for quite a while. Does anyone know if they are still operational? Is Brian still there?

Alternatively is anyone aware of any other possible vacancies as word of mouth seems more productive than web searches.

Cheers for reading so far!

Are you sure you cannot get into Lemonroyd? We used to moor there and there were a number of widebeams of that width there, including a few ex broads cruisers. Vacancies for wide boats may not always be available at all times of course but that is a different thing.

Ps Hampton Safaris are great little boats, we once hired Glitter Girl from Summercraft and since then have always had a soft spot for them.

Edited by The Dog House

I don't know why Lemonroyd should have a 7ft width limit. When we were stuck outside there in the winter of 2010 there were several Dutch Barges there.

I think the OP is mistaken too.

There were several wide boats there when we left and since when we have passed.

Lemonroyd £4,696 for widebeam residential berth (irrespective of length)

They do not appear to offer 'leisure' widebeam moorings

ETA - there doesnt appear to be any mention of a surcharge for leisure 'fatties' on the BWML price list (covering all marina's) that I have.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The Dog House, on 16 Nov 2014 - 7:59 PM, said:

I don't believe that is correct either.

Though they don't currently have any resi. moorings OR widebeam moorings available.

http://bwml.co.uk/lemonroyd-marina/moorings/

I can but point you in the direction of the BWML website and :

BWML Mooring Fees Matrix 2014-15

Where it says they offer (not necessairly have vacancies) both widebeam and narrowboam residential berths

Lemonroyd

Grade 1

Per M

159£

165£

95£

48£

Grade 1 Linear

Per M

167£

174£

100£

50£

Grade 2

Per M

134£

139£

80£

40£

Residential (Wide)

Per Berth

4,696£

4,884£

N/A

N/A

Residential (Narrow)

Per Berth

4,249£

4,419£

N/A

N/A

Edit - well it was all in a nice table when I cut & pasted it.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Apologies for misleading! I should have said "no wide beam" at the moment. Having said that, I'm sure I read somwhere that 7' was the limit on pontoon/finger moorings! These being the type that small cruisers are usually accomodated on.

Do we have anyone on here at Fallwood? I'm going to try and do a motor round as many as I can this week. Direct contact often seems to produce better results. Thanks all for taking the time.

I would still like to hear from anyone who knows about the mooring situation at Shepley Bridge.

Apologies for misleading! I should have said "no wide beam" at the moment. Having said that, I'm sure I read somwhere that 7' was the limit on pontoon/finger moorings! These being the type that small cruisers are usually accomodated on.

The aerial photo of the marina in the link Ditchadabbler posted earlier gives a pretty good idea of what type of boats moor where and how they are organised in the marina. Smaller wide boats tend to be towards the bottom (and handily nearer the gate) as you can see in the picture.

We used to moor top right where the red narrowboat is moored. There are now also more pontoons at the very back/top of the photo which have been added since the photo was taken, though they were for NB's from memory.

Personally I wouldn't rely on the web site information regarding current vacancies being 100% correct, when we first went there we rang Hull marina office (this being the initial contact) and they put us in touch direct with the on site manager who had a much better idea about what she had and what was coming up. You may find they can squeeze a small boat like yours in somewhere if you speak to her.

iKpX7Ow.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

What happened to the nice Dutch Barge owned by Steve and Jan that moored just inside the entrance at the extreme top right?

As far as I know they are still there, looking at the photo it is quite old, and was almost certainly taken before they moored there, it looks as if it post dates the fence installation but pre-dates the installation of the pontoons at the top end (On the right of the entrance as you come in by boat). So the photo must be at least 3/4 years old as both the fence and the additional pontoons were in place when we took up our mooring there in August 2011.