Full length converted butty in a Cambridge in 1973

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

v0_web.jpg

From the C&RT archive(Herbert Dunkley's images)

This shows what is I believe a full length converted butty/horse boat below Jesus Lock in Cambridge in 1973.

Now, the link route across the Middle Level was only lengthened in the mid 90s so it must have been either craned in or taken across the Wash. I wonder which boat it is?

Edited by Black Ibis

v0_web.jpg

This shows what is I believe a full length converted butty/horse boat below Jesus Lock in Cambridge in 1973.

Now, the link route across the Middle Level was only lengthened in the mid 90s so it must have been either craned in or taken across the Wash. I wonder which boat it is?

small Ricky butty PHOSPHORUS, and it crossed The Wash from Wisbech to enter the Great Ouse at Kings Lynn in 1955 captain.gif

It was owned by Cecile Dorward, whose wonderful book "Anything But Ordinary: The Nine Lives of Cecile Dorward" recounts how she bought if off Aickman and of her travels around the country from 1948 to 1955. Her voyage across the Wash was reported in the Manchester Guardian of August 1955. Soon after her husband died in December 1956 she sold it "to some American physicists". The story of her early voyages was published in the Waterways Journal (Boat Museum Society) Vol 9, 2007. I'm currently working on a follow-up, hence the details - but I am grateful to know where that photo was taken as there is a very similar black & white one in her photo collection.

Hugh

v0_web.jpg

It was still there in the late 70s. A friend of a friend lived on it for a couple of weeks during one summer when the owner was on holiday. Apparently the hull leaked so much that they had to find someone to stay on board and pump the bilges daily to prevent it sinking.

Does anyone know what happened to it?

Around this time there was another full length butty (steel/iron/composite) on an end-of-garden mooring just upstream of the Green Dragon footbridge at Chesterton. The cabin was covered in a green canvas tarpaulin and there was no name obvious. I never found out which boat it was.

Phosphorus was broken up and my late friend Steve King ended up with IIIRC the stem iron and tee stud. He donated the ironwork to Keith Ball so I imagine the bits are still kicking round his yard somwhere.

Paul

Paul

You wouldn't happen to know when this was, would you?

Hugh

I am SO pleased you have found pictures of this boat. How wonderful. I have heard so many wonderful stories about it.

It was owned by Cecile Dorward, whose wonderful book "Anything But Ordinary: The Nine Lives of Cecile Dorward" recounts how she bought if off Aickman and of her travels around the country from 1948 to 1955. Her voyage across the Wash was reported in the Manchester Guardian of August 1955. Soon after her husband died in December 1956 she sold it "to some American physicists". The story of her early voyages was published in the Waterways Journal (Boat Museum Society) Vol 9, 2007. I'm currently working on a follow-up, hence the details - but I am grateful to know where that photo was taken as there is a very similar black & white one in her photo collection.

Hugh

I was under the impression it was sold to Americans but one was a writer (who wrote about their tales in a column the guardian) and the other a scientist. They lived on it while he was working in Cambridge and I believe their D.Phil students have some interesting tales from it!

Edited by Bones