Anodes hanging on a wire

Featured Posts

There are a few barges at west india quay which have anodes hanging from thick wire bolted to the gunwhale plating.

Has anyone seen this done on the cut? Or is there something about the dock water?

Seems a good idea for a boat which doesn't move a lot.

I have not noticed it anywhere else before

(canary wharf east london)

Edited by magnetman

When we were in Salthouse Dock last winter, we were stuck in there for an extra month and it was obvious from the clear water that our anodes were disappearing. On the advice of the chandlery at the marina we hung an anode over the stern connected by a heavy wire to a convenient bolt on the hull.

Seemed to have done the trick as when dry docked in July, although the anodes had all but gone, everything else seemed OK.

I was going to say sounds like they are seawater anodes the same as are available for boats planning to spend any time in Liverpool

That makes sense. I haven't tasted the water in the dock :rolleyes:

On closer inspection they all seem to have these anodes. 4 dutch barges a belgian spits and a couple of old museum owned tugs.

I suppose the other possibility is it is just a cheaper way to fix anodes to a boat than welding as that would need docking. Also I think anodes might work on a 'line of site' theory so maybe if they are away from the hull they can 'see' more.

Not sure magnets would work as the electrical connection to the hull wouldn't be reliable enough.

Fresh water anodes are so useless you may as well hang them over the side on wire, or put them in the garden as a feature!

Casp'

DUFF anodes :lol:

I find Painting your Anodes makes them last for ages ninja.gif .

Seriously, I know several boats that have the remnants of there old Anodes hung on wires slung overboard, I honestly don't know if it makes a difference or not, but they still have there boats taken out every year, and there boat Anodes Replaced !. But It has to be said, I am Amazed how quickly they do get eaten.