jp3 spares

londonron

Featured Posts

After following some good advice from Martin (setting him up nicely for more advice) i am not going to take off the heads of my JP3 just yet. Well not until i can get the spares in advance.

So does anyone have any genuine head gaskets?

could also do with 1 push rod if they are called that. 1 of mine is working but where the rocker sits its got some damage and want to replace it.

also how hard is it to take apart a compression change over thats not sealed properly?

The issue is getting original head gaskets, as those supplied by most UK suppliers (Stationary Engines and Sleeman's among them)come from the same source and although of decent materials they are dimensionally incorrect (in the region of 0.030") thicker than an Lister/Coopers gasket. In turn this makes it impossible to obtain the correct piston to cylinder head clearance (meant to be 0.045" to 0.050") and ends up in the region of 0.070" clearance using these gaskets and the related smoke/lower compression issues this causes. We are currently tooling up to produce them to the correct dims but don't stock them at this time.

New old stock head gaskets do crop up on eBay from time to time. I've brought quite a few over the years just to make sure I have some when needed....they are of much better quality than the modern ones....especially the imports from the India & thailand.

Cheers

Gareth

[

Rsz injector3washers

Rsz pushrod

Rsz injector hole

Rsz injector

I seem to have differant injectors. One with 3 washers to space it out. They seem to have the same seriel number. Just a differant make, ones a bosch and one has a bleed screw/leak off attachment on the head.

plus 1 pushrod is chipped all around the edge. If anyone knows where i can get one of those.

Hopefully i just figured out how to post pics. I am checking out my low compression issues . Piston no 1 and 2 seems lower than number 3 and i had some smoke blowing out the Changeover valves. I couldnt see any copper washers. Should there be some?

Yes. There should be a thin copper washer in there.

[

I seem to have differant injectors. One with 3 washers to space it out. They seem to have the same seriel number. Just a differant make, ones a bosch and one has a bleed screw/leak off attachment on the head.

plus 1 pushrod is chipped all around the edge. If anyone knows where i can get one of those.

Best get them tested and reset while you've got them out, especially if the nozzles are different, hence the need for extra washers. I can recommend a place in East London. Where are you?

i can do east london easy enough. I am in west london at the moment but can drive over.

I have found a place that sells the copper washers. But there are 2 types listed. I guess i need to identify the engine i have ?

Edited by londonron

Sometimes injectors end up with extra seating washers simply because the person refitting them hasn't checked whether the old one is still in the head.

Another possibility is that the seating in the head has been damaged at some stage and had to be recut, and washers added to restore the height.

Tim

i can do east london easy enough. I am in west london at the moment but can drive over.

I have found a place that sells the copper washers. But there are 2 types listed. I guess i need to identify the engine i have ?

You could try CJ Diesels in Isleworth who have a good reputation, or the place I use is shown below--and they are brilliant! And canalside and very close to Hackney Wick overground station

MV Motors
8a Queens Yard, White Post Lane, London E9 5EN

020 8985 6077

Edited by monkeyhanger

Sometimes find that one or other COV doesn't seal properly after screwing in to start on high compression. A little smoke comes out of the blow hole. Unscrewing the offending COV a half turn with engine running will sometimes help by blowing out any carbon that's causing the leak. After a while they self seal anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

hi george. That would be good to swap out before it does something stupid.

Have rebuilt it all now. Havent fixed anything to do with the starting but want to get it running without the water leaks i had on the exhaust manifold.

Started it but really running bad as the only piston with anywhere like compression now has smoke pouring out the injector where if cant be seating properly. Going to try and remove the copper washer thats stuck inside and replace it and hopefully that will help. Also where i cleaned all the changeover valves up they unscrewed partial while it was running . that wasnt helping either

• 2 weeks later...

my suffering continues. The exhaust manifold that was split has been repaired. They couldnt weld it (big split) and wrapped a bronze shield around it and drilled and tapped a load of screws to secure it. Sadly it looked like somehow the inside has a split between the exhaust and water section as after a test run i took it off and was full of water.

I know marine services are without the pattern to make these at the moment. Any ideas as im stuck and broken. Either how to rig up a new system or to source a replacement.