Generator not Distributing

mark99

Featured Posts

Panda genny. When started it lights up the green Ac light on the control panel and the power available led lights up. However the ac volts needle does not move to 240, it just sticks on zero and the ring main Is not energised. Any ideas?

Have you checked for any rouge breakers between the ac light and the ring main.

If you have a meter carefully measure the voltage at the terminals along the cable.

Do remember that 240v ac isn't very pleasant if it finds flesh!

Also is there a selector switch for a landline or inverter that might have got knocked?

Cheers

Gareth

Edited to add bits.

Edited by frangar

It was working fine feeding into my batteries via an invertor and powering a microwave . The microwave ended on its timer as the meal Is ready and since then I've lost the Power from the genny. It's like the sudden stop of the microwave has shocked it although we have done this 100 times before without issue.

Edited by mark99

Can you trace the cable from the genny just to double check there aren't any hidden breakers? Is there a change over switch for the shore line?

Do you have a multimeter to check voltages?

Worth checking all the connections in the cable as well....it's just possible a voltage spike has fried a mcb or rcd.

If you don't have a meter or don't fancy poking about with one you can get "voltage sticks" which will glow a neon without making a contact. Very useful for tracing faults.

Cheers

Gareth

Typically a built-in generator such as your Panda would feed a double pole AC selector switch with the choice of Shore or Generator and maybe a third Off position. If you have one confirm its in the Generator position. Your Victron Multiplus will take care of whether the AC supply to sockets comes from pass through, or its own inverter if no AC input assuming its turned on of course.

If you have exhausted this possibility and the others suggested, can you confirm that the AC voltmeter is a direct part of the generator monitoring or further down the chain? If the latter you should be looking for a problem between the two.

It's 4 pole selector switch

off, Genny, shore 1 and shore 2.

Now back at mooring and tried both shore powers front and rear and neither works like they did on Friday. So in summary no shore power and no genny.

Edited by mark99

So first check whether there is a voltage at the inputs (3) of the selector, when the relevant supply is connected.

Then check if there is a voltage on the output side of the selector

That will check if the selector switch is working.

Please be careful as 240v ac at best will tickle at worst kill you

It's beginging to sound like it may be the AC changeover "switch" on the combi....that's an internal switch in the combi I'm afraid. Have you checked the connections on the combi?...unscrew the front panel and check the terminals there...please be careful tho!

Cheers

Gareth

I think I've found It.

Inside the box containing Inputs from Genny, shore powers , feed to consumer unit and selector switch I was tracing wires ready to use the multimeter to find if the switch was dduff

And lo and behold there was a loose live wire but still curled in position so It looked connected. No one has ever been In that box but I'm guessing the vibration from the engine and buzzy generator loosened the screw clamping down wire.

Thanks.

I think I've found It.

Inside the box containing Inputs from Genny, shore powers , feed to consumer unit and selector switch I was tracing wires ready to use the multimeter to find if the switch was dduff

And lo and behold there was a loose live wire but still curled in position so It looked connected. No one has ever been In that box but I'm guessing the vibration from the engine and buzzy generator loosened the screw clamping down wire.

Thanks.

That sounds like it Mark. Unlikely you will have more than one issue. Note that two pole switching simply means it switches live and neutral which is important where AC supplies are from entirely separate sources. Yours with four positions would correctly be referred to as a four way, two pole switch.