Tug by Braunston foot bridge

zenataomm

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, MtB said:

In the meantime someone presumably, is paying to licence it? 

If not why do CRT allow it? 

1 hour ago, Lady M said:

Licensing of boats on the canals is a relatively recent arrangement.  Olive at The Anchor on the Shropshire Union Canal used to say that her old boat did not need to have a licence or pay for its mooring alongside the towpath.  Perhaps this boat has been there so long that it pre-dates the licence system.

It’s possibly moored on land that is associated with the lease for UCC (assuming the site is on a long term lease to which CRT own the freehold) and therefore the mooring fee is essentially included.

The Anchor at High Offley is probably similar.

It’s one reason you will observe the same boat moored on the towpath at such sites. 

The old Boat Inn near Brinklow always has the same boat moored outside, there are many others.

I dare say many local marina dwellers curse the ‘overstayers’ every time they pass.

28 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It’s possibly moored on land that is associated with the lease for UCC (assuming the site is on a long term lease to which CRT own the freehold) and therefore the mooring fee is essentially included.

The Anchor at High Offley is probably similar.

It’s one reason you will observe the same boat moored on the towpath at such sites. 

The old Boat Inn near Brinklow always has the same boat moored outside, there are many others.

I dare say many local marina dwellers curse the ‘overstayers’ every time they pass.

I was curious about the CRT licence, rather than the mooring permit.

A similar question crosses my mind about the sunken hulks on the Coventry and in the disused/private winding 'ole at Cropredy.

CRT eventually Section-8 s and removes unlicenced boats usually, but not these. Why not?

15 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Tyburn was owned by Jim MacDonald, he operated it as a mobile welder on The Erewash.  It was previously a hire boat with Wyvern, 60s I think. 

Jim purchased an HA3 as a demonstration model at the Boat Show where it was on display.  He hooked it up to a massive generator/welder and installed it on board.

It was at that point he discovered there were no pistons nor con rods included.  He sold it on in the 80s to a chap called Mike Fox.

I thought I had a reasonable memory of what "historic" boats had served in the Wyvern fleet.  I certainly don't recall ever hearing about TYBURN, although it is perfectly possible I am wrong.

40 minutes ago, MtB said:

I was curious about the CRT licence, rather than the mooring permit.

A similar question crosses my mind about the sunken hulks on the Coventry and in the disused/private winding 'ole at Cropredy.

CRT eventually Section-8 s and removes unlicenced boats usually, but not these. Why not?

So you were. I’ve misread those posts totally. Sorry

53 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I thought I had a reasonable memory of what "historic" boats had served in the Wyvern fleet.  I certainly don't recall ever hearing about TYBURN, although it is perfectly possible I am wrong.

John Gagg's 1970 book 'Canals in Camera' includes this photo of a converted tug on the Stort. The caption refers to it as a former hire boat on the Grand Union, and I always thought it was the with Wyvern fleet (although I don't know where that thought came from).

20240412_105535.thumb.jpg.00d07ed53686b50b2f1fc1e65edef042.jpg20240412_105525.thumb.jpg.408eeaed6f33a3b82b2c49fad3a2ecf5.jpg

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

27 minutes ago, David Mack said:

John Gagg's 1970 book 'Canals in Camera' includes this photo of a converted tug on the Stort. The caption refers to it as a former hire boat on the Grand Union, and I always thought it was the with Wyvern fleet (although I don't know where that thought came from).

20240412_105535.thumb.jpg.00d07ed53686b50b2f1fc1e65edef042.jpg20240412_105525.thumb.jpg.408eeaed6f33a3b82b2c49fad3a2ecf5.jpg

OK. I own up - I was wrong!

The tug TYBURN did indeed work on the Wyvern Shipping hire fleet, under the name of PERSEVERANCE.

Sorry for any confusion!

The boat next to the old boat inn at brinklow is ( was ) associated with tge cottage. Bwb end of garden mooring.

We were offered a mooring their in 1988 for our pair in association with it, but chose not to take it up.

1988 pictures we have show us tied there with a sneaky but legal mains hook up to the garage behind .

The building is afforded two moorings as I recall.