240v hook up

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

Where are you in terms of location?

We have just had loads and loads of electrical work done by Dave Reynolds. A good chap and very knowledgable. In addition to a hook up I think you will need a suitable battery charger,breaker board and perhaps other bits. I'm not a sparky.

Martyn

Any ideas how much it would cost to put in a 240v hook up on a boat for connecting at marinas ?

It depends what you want and what you have got. Do you have any 240 volt system on the boat, are you looking for a charger/inverter. Do you need sockets installing throughout the boat.

If you only want to buy a lead and have a plug screwed on the back of the boat then only a few pounds, if you are looking at the charger/inverter option with outlets throughout the boat then thousands.

A decent charger/ inverter costs about £400, miscellaneous bits (Cable, switchgear, consumer unit, galvanic isolator and so on) about £400, and anything up to a couple of weeks labour at whatever the local rate is for a Sparky, depending on how many sockets you want and how much of the lining you need to strip to install it.

A decent charger/ inverter costs about £400,................

I think thats a little on the low side - a Sterling combined charger and inverter woluld be around the £1000 mark, whilst the Mastervolt would be about £1200.

There are £300 chinese made inverters on ebay (in fact I think Theo bought on) but I think they have yet to be 'accepted' as viable alternatives by the market.

If, as a livaboard, your fridge or freezer depends on it you need reliability and quality.

The 2013 BSS covers 240V connections and standards you need to ensure these are followed or exceeded otherwise your insurance cover may not pay up for an incident however unlikely, they tend to look for escape routes these days rather than pay.

The 2013 BSS covers 240V connections and standards you need to ensure these are followed or exceeded otherwise your insurance cover may not pay up for an incident however unlikely, they tend to look for escape routes these days rather than pay.

Not just these days. It was ever so.

S.S. That's a very good price. I assume you are having a very basic system installed and already have a charger or will instal an 'imported' low cost one. Some of the cheap ones are rather good but for how long?

Edit 'cause I lost a paragraph.

paulstoke 1975. What do you require of the system in terms of outlets charges and such. this hill help folks make a guestimate.

Edited by Taslim

Where are you in terms of location?

We have just had loads and loads of electrical work done by Dave Reynolds. A good chap and very knowledgable. In addition to a hook up I think you will need a suitable battery charger,breaker board and perhaps other bits. I'm not a sparky.

Martyn

im from stoke

It depends what you want and what you have got. Do you have any 240 volt system on the boat, are you looking for a charger/inverter. Do you need sockets installing throughout the boat.

If you only want to buy a lead and have a plug screwed on the back of the boat then only a few pounds, if you are looking at the charger/inverter option with outlets throughout the boat then thousands.

the boat im looking at has a inverter