Collison in the Canal!

Dharl

Featured Posts

yes it was the breaking wave that first got me thinking about interaction...

While the HL had not yet drawn abeam of the Maersk, any interaction between the two would have tended to draw the HL sideways to the Maersk's starboard quarter, at the same time causing the Maersk to start a swing to port, but I don't see any of that happening in the video clip. I think the HL intentionally moved out away from the Maersk to avoid any interaction, but hadn't given enough consideration to, and was caught out by, the shallows to starboard.

So, in trying to avoid one hydrodynamic interaction (being drawn into the Maersk), the H-L got caught out by another one with the shore

Richard

Yes, precisely that. I don't see that any blame whatsoever can be attached to the Maersk. The HL shouldn't have attempted the overtake at that time or place.

Edited by tony dunkley

:) think we are all in agreement there!!

As generally stuck on a slow tanker plodding along at sedate 12kts (when not stuck in an office) I do sometimes get a little jealous of those "box boats" as they roar past at 25kts + !! But the confines of the canal are not really the place to show off on my ship is faster than yours.......

he can get a job driving the bunker barges in West Africa.....most of their skippers seem to use the same tactics when coming alongside.

Edited by Dharl

to be fair first time I went through Braunston tunnel I ended up bouncing a bit off the walls till I go the hang of it....however didn't need to touch up the paint afterwards and got it sorted by the time I met someone coming the other way!

knowing nothing at about container ships a question comes to mind, how are the containers secured on the deck and how stable is that ship?

to a complete ignoramus about shipping on that scale it looks bloody unstable to me, can someone explain?

The containers stacks aren't always stable:

disaster2004.unstacked2.GIF

from http://www.cargolaw.com/2004nightmare_unstacked.html

disaster2007.Ital.Florida7.GIF

from http://www.cargolaw.com/2007nightmare_ital.florida.html