Which compost loo is best?

Felshampo

Featured Posts

I have decided to have a compost loo in my boat when I buy one. I have yet to see a second hand boat that has one so I will have one put in but which one to have. I know there has been several threads on here about compost loos in general but I would be interested to hear from people who have them. What are the pros and cons of the different makes , eg original cost, ease of use, running cost, frequency of emptying, efficiency etc.

Polite notice: compost loo threads often get hijacked by the " it's not legal to dump compost in the hedges" brigade, fascinating as this is could you go and play with your fluffy bunnies please.

• Greenie 1

Polite notice: compost loo threads often get hijacked by the " it's not legal to dump compost in the hedges" brigade, fascinating as this is could you go and play with your fluffy bunnies please.

Putting 'Polite notice' before being unpleasant doesn't really work for me.

MtB

Any more details please?

As in ?

I live aboard but still work, I've been aboard now 4-5 months and not had to empty the solids yet, the liquid bottle I empty weekly.

No smell and I pour a bit of water in now and then to help break down the paper.

I started off with about 2" of compost when I first bought it just to help things 'get going'.

I would recommend them.

I hope that helps.

As in ?I live aboard but still work, I've been aboard now 4-5 months and not had to empty the solids yet, the liquid bottle I empty weekly.No smell and I pour a bit of water in now and then to help break down the paper.I started off with about 2" of compost when I first bought it just to help things 'get going'.I would recommend them.I hope that helps.

Yes it does. Has it got a fan or heater?

I think Julian had one he said he would have something else if he changed but was very happy with it search threads on here you will find plenty :)

Peter

Thanks. Yes I have looked at a lot of the threads but people don't tend go in to too many details about why they would change it or why they are happy with it. The sales pitches on the web sites give a bias picture, obviously, so its difficult to get a handle on the four main contenders strengthes and weaknesses.

Thanks. Yes I have looked at a lot of the threads but people don't tend go in to too many details about why they would change it or why they are happy with it. The sales pitches on the web sites give a bias picture, obviously, so its difficult to get a handle on the four main contenders strengthes and weaknesses.

Sunmar is the one that mixes solids and wee I believe Julian was always pleased with it it was just in one post he said that he would fit something different. I like mine because the wee can be pumped into a large container

Peter

Seperate Villa for me too 12v fan, has the ability to pump wee into a remote container mine is 25 litres so have to empty it less often, poo wise its about every 3 months

Peter

Is that about 3 months for one person once a day including all the tissues. It looks like basically a plastic bucket or is there more to it?

I think you need to do the botty test on these loos before you choose they are all basically thunderboxes but some are better than others. I had an easy choice as a friend had one and a marina had the other 2 the lady of the day vitoed 2 of them and approved the third cloud9.gif

Peter

I think you need to do the botty test on these loos before you choose they are all basically thunderboxes but some are better than others. I had an easy choice as a friend had one and a marina had the other 2 the lady of the day vitoed 2 of them and approved the third :cloud9:

Peter

Thanks!