Help with the Tidal Trent

Foxtrot

Featured Posts

a little information regarding Foxtrot, he has never driven a boat nor done any locks, what he is asking for is that someone help him up the tidal trent, if no one comes forward then he will go up the T&M etc

That is good news, some of us were concerned for his safety.....Hopefully he will find help whichever route he goes

a little information regarding Foxtrot, he has never driven a boat nor done any locks, what he is asking for is that someone help him up the tidal trent, if no one comes forward then he will go up the T&M etc

Lacking any help I've decided to head up whatever that other canals called. Hopefully I'll make it to that place somewhere up there on that other canal and then decided what to do from there. Prolly go right up to the top bit and then around, coming back to the bit over the other place, and then finally to Saltair.

Also, I might need a good canal map with names and stuff, cause you couldn't tell, I dont know many.

Lacking any help I've decided to head up whatever that other canals called. Hopefully I'll make it to that place somewhere up there on that other canal and then decided what to do from there. Prolly go right up to the top bit and then around, coming back to the bit over the other place, and then finally to Saltair.

Also, I might need a good canal map with names and stuff, cause you couldn't tell, I dont know many.

If I was fairly new to boating and read this thread before attempting that tidal stretch, I'd be put off too. Like a lot if things in life, we have to assess the risk. Things can still go wrong even if we have thought of everything, but it's unlikely!

We did the trip a few months ago with life jackets and a suitable anchor but no VHF because the lock keeper was happy for us to keep them informed by mobile phone. (technically you are supposed to have VHF below Gainsborough)

You might be able to borrow an anchor and life jackets but make sure you know how to use them! We also had a copy of chart to ensure we could avoid any sand banks etc. We use the Nicholson's guides but there are other guides available.

There is some sound advice here but with sensible planning and preparation you'll really enjoy that stretch. It's well worth breaking that journey up by visiting the Chesterfield canal too. It's very pretty.

Bassplayer....I think a lot of the concern was not just because he is very new to boating but also because he would be solo

eta and in a boat new to him as well

I see your point and the concern but others reading this thread might also be considering doing the tidal Trent and get the impression it's all too much.

I'd go trent and misery. macclesfield, ashton and peak forest, Rochdale, Calder and hebble, Aire, L&L. I've done the journey round clockwise in my 22ft cruiser from the summit of the Rochdale. Afaik the journey via Rochdale canal is quicker than going via wigan L&L to saltaire. You wont manage the calder and hebble unless your boat is less than 60ft though. have fun.

edited cos I forgot a bit!

Edited by Jim Riley

Bassplayer

Ok get that.....You're right it would be a shame to put off people too much! as you say it can be a very enjoyable trip, providing you have a bit of boating under your belt and have taken sensible precautions......some warnings are probably needed as the benign conditions on the canals sometimes make people too relaxed and forget that you need to concentrate on tidal waters!

Edited by John V

Bassplayer

Ok get that.....You're right it would be a shame to put off people too much! as you say it can be a very enjoyable trip, providing you have a bit of boating under your belt and have taken sensible precautions......some warnings are probably needed as the benign conditions on the canals sometimes make people too relaxed and forget that you need to concentrate on tidal waters!

Yes, it definitely sharpens you up. Mind you we had more problems on the non-tidal Trent and Sour due to floods! Tides are a bit more predictable....

Often the dangers and scares make for better story telling over a pint. It's nice to offset it with nice things sometimes.

Try and pick up a few Nicholsons guides - old ones go cheap on eBay (and the canals ain't changed that much). Also sign up for stoppage alerts from CART on your phone.

Personally I'd go trent, trent & Mersey, bridgewater to Wigan then Leeds & Liverpool but that's cos I like the L&L. Worth hanging around a bit on the broad canals and teaming up with another boat thru locks. Less work for you and two boats are more stable than one.

Have a good trip.

I'd go trent and misery. macclesfield, ashton and peak forest, Rochdale, Calder and hebble, Aire, L&L. I've done the journey round clockwise in my 22ft cruiser from the summit of the Rochdale. Afaik the journey via Rochdale canal is quicker than going via wigan L&L to saltaire. You wont manage the calder and hebble unless your boat is less than 60ft though. have fun.

And you won't get to Saltaire, whatever route you choose, if your boat is more than 60 ft though.