Narrowboat required for filming

Andy Pearson

Featured Posts

BTW, can I be a real pedant and point out that in their day they were narrow boats rather than narrowboats.

Narrowboat is a modern term introduced, I believe, by the magazine Waterways World......:(

haha fair enough.. if you really that stickly about the spacing :) - Should it have a capital N? :(

Then maybe you should have paid for an advert in the waterways media instead of posting a thread using a medium which provides the facility to reply anyway we wish. Perhaps your original posting should have clearly stated that you only want replies from people willing to let you have their boat. This isn't how this medium works Andy if as a member of this forum, I want to post something (anything) which isn't obscene, slanderous or illegal, then I can.

There was no malice or aggression in our responses, until you got shirty. If you are so far up yourself that you can't join in with a little lighthearted banter, then go and find the miserable old gits forum.

I am not the only person who has observed a fair bit of malice and aggression, mostly from yourself but also from others. If this is lighthearted banter I don't know what a warm welcome would feel like. Is your suggestion that I'm "up myself" a friendly bit of cheeky banter from one mate to another?

Please leave me alone you sad, miserable misfit

I am not the only person who has observed a fair bit of malice and aggression, mostly from yourself but also from others. If this is lighthearted banter I don't know what a warm welcome would feel like. Is your suggestion that I'm "up myself" a friendly bit of cheeky banter from one mate to another?

Here are all my posts from the other threads:

Edited to say: What a pompous, pedantic oaf I am.

I know but he's probably never been on a narrow boat, been given some script by someone who's closest boat contact is R&J and thinks we all dress up like harry corbett in the Bargee.

He needs to be educated, not patronised. Poor lad!

The day you see me with my hand shoved up a little yellow bear's Jacksie will be a cold day in hell. (before all the other forum pedants point out I missed the H out). Besides I always preferred the boatwoman's bonnet, keeps yer ears warm.

Oh no... post nine and it's already turned into a 'let's see how many people we can get mixed up' thread.

You're getting confused with Ronnie Biggs.

What, I'm not even allowed to insult myself now?

It was a harmless unmalicious joke. Get over yourself.

ing.

Hate to be a pedant Neil but I believe Harry H Corbett was 'son'

Edited to say: Damn and blast he beat me to it!

The only one that even mentions you is the second one which may be a little patronising but hardly hostile. After that I'd forgotton you existed and was playing with words and names. The worst crime I committed is going off topic. I tried to apologise and explain my sentiment but you'd already started your hissy fit and you haven't the good grace to let it drop.

You on the other hand have told me to 'F**k off you w****r' in a private message and just called me a sad, miserable misfit. I don't propose to waste any more time on you. I thought you were off anyway?

Edited to remove bad language.

Edited by carlt

Lighten up folks - life is too short to get heated up over a simple request.

Before I retired, I was often involved in providing facilities for film makers - the request were varied but I did get to work with people like Richard Attenborough ('Shadowlands') and Mick Jagger ('Enigma') as well as many others. In my experience the film world is just the same as any other group of people who are dedicated to their cause - they have their own language and culture juwst as we do on the waterways. Nothing wrong with that.

I also found that by working closely with the location manager, art director and principal director it is often possible to avoid the common mistakes that one often sees when portraying what was my particular interest - railways. in co-operation with the National Railway Museum, as a team we went to great lengths to ensure that the scenes in 'Shadowlands' were historically accurate and although we used a little imagination in the use of the locomotive on 'Enigma' - I made sure that the livery of the engine and coaches were correct. I also suggested the use of a train running on a parallel line to provide a camera platform filming the moving train as it steamed through the countryside and the director was so pleased with the result that it was used for the opening title sequence . . .

Generally speaking, working with film makers is very enjoyable - I understand the issues that people have about being paid and it really needs to be tied down beforehand in the contract. One piece of advice here is that film makers often form companies to make one film and wind it up when the shooting is over - so it is important that any location or equipment provider gets paid before they wrap up! On the other hand there are many low budget films that just dont have the money to pay out - so its important to know who you are dealing with.

Shadowlands was a wonderful film. I'm sure they appreciated your advice. just goes to show how much better life can be when you approach it with positivity and without preconceptions. For the record, I'm offering (or was offering) an upfront fee in cash.

this forum was recommended to me by the Bimingham film office, a government run agency to help filmakers with their many varied and unusual requests. Mine was for a shot of a narrow boat for ONE SHOT in my film.

I'm desperately sorry for being "up myself", for not placing an advert in the waterways media instead of using this forum, for using the term barge instead of narrowboat, Narrow boat or Joey, evoking feelings of inadequacy and sexual frustration and for generally troubling some members of this closely-knit community in any way. Clearly I am the Jade of the boating world and I shall now leave you all alone, and go away and lick my wounds

Sorry.. would have loved to have helped but no boat :(

Why not put them up in a local hotel like the hyatt?

(batherway,.. my dad was a RN officer (comodore) for many many years.. and he calls narrowboats.. narrowboats :) )

I thought that hiring a barge would be more fun. But I think you are right - the Hyatt will be more comfortable. And well away from Barge Dwellers. please tell your Dad in the RN to remember to take his medicine

You might struggle at capturing the soul of the canals if you keep being that uptight sweetheart.

try and relax will you?

Seriously you came here asking for a service and behave like somebody broke into your house and tried to bum you!

Clearly I am the Jade of the boating world and I shall now leave you all alone, and go away and lick my wounds

wow!

Edited by Djuwenda

You might struggle at capturing the soul of the canals Snip>>>>>>>>>>>

I do not think he wanted the 'soul of the canal', he (Andy Pearson) just wanted something to be in the background of someone running along the towpath.

Never mind, he says he was leaving, so let him go and may all his films be epics.

Well I for one feel what has transpired to be a real shame, and I lay the blame firmly at Carl's feet.

It is the rest of ours duty to make ammends to Andy and show him what friendly people boaters are.

So if you're in Brum and you see a film crew on the banks of the cut, make sure you give em a good long blast of the horn, and wave cheerily.

Don't forget Colregs folks, remember whenever maneuvering to use those horn signals.

now what's carl done with that missing smiley he's always going on about? the scamp!

now what's carl done with that missing smiley he's always going on about? the scamp!

I think it should be daniel's first priority to locate a suitable 'tongue in cheek' smiley, and instal it for my own personal use and incidents such as this may never happen again.

Like Andy I've posted topics on the forum only to be met by derision too.

I'd like to point out something if I may.

There are/have been barges on the BCN

At least there was one that worked as a trip boat which was over 7 ft wide, probably 9 ft wide, and it had no chance ever of using the narrow locks but at least it could go round the city centre canals and the Soho loop.

If it's not a narrow boat then what?

Someone'll know the boat I mean.

That'd be a 'wide beam narrowboat' then . . .

yes thats what I thought but isnt that a self defeating description especially when we like to stick so hard to the use of the term narrowboat?

especially when a narrowboat has always been 6' 10" to 7' 2" not more not less

so the boats on the Brecon and Abergavveny are actually wide beam narrowboats??

Like Andy I've posted topics on the forum only to be met by derision too.

I'd like to point out something if I may.

There are/have been barges on the BCN

At least there was one that worked as a trip boat which was over 7 ft wide, probably 9 ft wide, and it had no chance ever of using the narrow locks but at least it could go round the city centre canals and the Soho loop.

If it's not a narrow boat then what?

Someone'll know the boat I mean.

First of all fender nobody treated him with derision. I apologised to him when I realised he'd misinterpreted my, self effacing, humour.

Secondly the boat I think your thinking of is 7' at the gunwhales and 9' at the bottoms. Not a barge or a narrow boat but a peculiarity of the canals in that area (where's hairy Neil when you need him). The boats of the BCN are no more barges than the Keels of the S&SY or the Wherries of the broads. All boats don't have to be barges or narrow boats there are more than two categories.

First of all fender nobody treated him with derision. I apologised to him when I realised he'd misinterpreted my, self effacing, humour.

Secondly the boat I think your thinking of is 7' at the gunwhales and 9' at the bottoms. Not a barge or a narrow boat but a peculiarity of the canals in that area (where's hairy Neil when you need him). The boats of the BCN are no more barges than the Keels of the S&SY or the Wherries of the broads. All boats don't have to be barges or narrow boats there are more than two categories.

Yes boats are not always fitting into certain categories. I do know a lot of people who call my boat a barge, even though its a n/b. I just explain that the correct term is narrowboat, and they are happy to use that term after. Its not surprising that many people commonly see n/b as a barge.

Lets hope Andy comes back to the forum

Edited by fender

That'd be a 'wide beam narrowboat' then . . .

When I worked on the GU in the 1960's we called any Working Boat between 7ft and 12ft 6ins a Wide Boat and anything over that size a barge, but it could have been different in other parts of the country. Not sure wht we would have called a Dutch Barge with a beam of less than 12ft 6ins, but there weren't many about on the canals in those days.

Edited by David Schweizer

When I worked on the GU in the 1960's we called any boat between 7ft and 12ft 6ins a Wide Boat and anything over that size a barge, but it could have been different in other parts of the country

On the Sheffield and SY and humber etc. Anything that didn't fit on the canals was called a barge, but then you had the big humber keels, the CATs, The tom puddings the list goes on...

On the Sheffield and SY and humber etc. Anything that didn't fit on the canals was called a barge, but then you had the big humber keels, the CATs, The tom puddings the list goes on...

In Welford where I grew up in the '50s, the canal was already disused and near derelict but we still had a lengthman who laid the hedges, opened the reservoir sluices and did a bit of towpath maintenence. He always talked about 'the boats' that used to use the canal and the people that manned them were alway referred to as 'boatees' - it might just be a Welford/Northamptoshire thing but my Gran always used to threaten us with dire punishment for any misbehaviour on the lines of 'if you don't behave, I'll give you to the boatees and they'll take you away' - so as a young child I regarded anyone on a canal boat as some sort of ogre . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

When I worked on the GU in the 1960's we called any Working Boat between 7ft and 12ft 6ins a Wide Boat and anything over that size a barge, but it could have been different in other parts of the country. Not sure what we would have called a Dutch Barge with a beam of less than 12ft 6ins, but there weren't many about on the canals in those days.

We all get a bit precious about this these days. I believe the universal term narrow boat is of quite recent usage. LTC Rolt used it as the name of his book and the usage spread from there. He nearly called his book "A Painted Ship" which would have been interesting if the name had stuck!

In fact most old boatmen I ever talked to - just called them "boats". Down London way the term "monkey boats" was used and down the Severn "long boats." Over most of the midlands it was simply boats - why would they have said "narrow boat"? Narrow compared to what? And sorry carlt when I have talked to old Birmingham day boat men (what we would now call joeys) many of them - horror of horrors - called them "barges." We tend to think that the term barge is somehow derogatory these days but the majority were a lot more elegant than the modern narrow boat.

Paul H

We tend to think that the term barge is somehow derogatory these days but the majority were a lot more elegant than the modern narrow boat.

And the sailing barges were especially elegant - many being converted to private yachts . . .

And sorry carlt when I have talked to old Birmingham day boat men (what we would now call joeys) many of them - horror of horrors - called them "barges." We tend to think that the term barge is somehow derogatory these days but the majority were a lot more elegant than the modern narrow boat.

Paul H

It's not really relevant though. I wasn't arguing with him about the correct terminology of inland waterways vessels, I was making a comment about our pedantry (amply demonstrated subsequently), he thought I was having a go at him, chucked a hissy fit and wouldn't accept my apology. He used foul language in a pm, and insulted me on the forum. I am happy that I've done nothing wrong.

Only wooden day boats are Joeys by the way :)

Only wooden day boats are Joeys by the way :)

Strictly speaking, only the ones built by long-time builders Joe Worseys!

And no, I am not suggesting you did anything wrong. The guy arrived with the wrong attitude from the start.

Paul h