Door dimensions

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

I've seen doors in a number of sizes so I don't think there's a standard. Worth measuring your boat before you do anything else. If you can remove the frame from the shell you can probably gain a couple of extra inches if required.

I am just making a list of what I need to get rid of on eBay before my house goes and I'm deciding weather or not to keep my leather sofa, is the door size for a narrowboat a standard size ? if so what size ?

Cheers folks .

Paul

OK. I'll rise to the bait.

How many narrow boats have you looked at?

How big were the boats?

How big is the sofa?

I think you may find that, apart from length and beam, leasure boats don't do 'standard' sizes.

Boat doors do seem to vary wildly, but I think it's safe to say they're generally too small to get a full size sofa in. If you're specially attached to it, you could look at keeping it under good tarps on the deck of a tug boat, or in the cargo area of one of those cargo boats?

Even house doors are far from standardized; a lot are about 6' 3" by 2' 6", but having done a few house moves over my years in rented property, I know that they do vary and getting the bigger items in is usually going to provide some Right Said Fred moments (Bernard Cribbins, not the later band). The choke point for a sofa can be a door, or a narrow hallway, or a corner that's just the wrong shape for it, and it can end up having to go in a room that wasn't the first choice.

My current house suffers from a narrow kitchen doorway, and while I just got one table in by dismantling it, and my new fridge freezer was carefully chosen to just fit through, my armchairs and another table had to be carried 200 yards around an alley and lifted over the 6 foot back fence.

There was a recent topic on self assembly sofas for boats which may become relevant to the OP if the boat of your dreams has doors too small for the sofa;

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=68950

Something else to consider. Will the boat you buy have a space big enough for a sofa? They are quite rare on narrowboats, separate chairs or built in furniture being more common

We have a small folding sofa that occupies too much space in the front cabin. It has a low enough back to fit under the gunwhale, most don't, and still goes nearly half way across the floor

Richard