What fish to expect

MrM

Featured Posts

I'm looking to buy my first boat soon, as a keen angler until i was in my 20's now seems as good as time to dust off my tackle. Does anyone know what sorts and sizes of fish i could possibly catch on the Leek and Caldon canal ?

I don't know those canals myself but many of our canals have interesting fishing, if you're prepared to put a bit of effort in. You won't get huge bags of specimen fish you might expect from a rich gravel pit but put in the spadework, they can be good. I regularly catch good perch in the autumn and early winter and in the past, good pike.

I fish canals all the time usually for specimen size fish it can be very hard but the rewards are there if you put in the effort ,my biggest finding on the canals regardless of what your after is that the canals come to life at night you are better off spending a few hours from 10 til midnight than sitting out all day the better fish just throw caution to the wind once the canal goes to sleep a few hours before everyone wakes up is also good , I normally turn up an hour or two before dark then start packing up around 8 am, other than that the most important thing is just enjoy being there as a bad days fishing is still better than a good days work

I fish canals all the time usually for specimen size fish it can be very hard but the rewards are there if you put in the effort ,my biggest finding on the canals regardless of what your after is that the canals come to life at night you are better off spending a few hours from 10 til midnight than sitting out all day the better fish just throw caution to the wind once the canal goes to sleep a few hours before everyone wakes up is also good , I normally turn up an hour or two before dark then start packing up around 8 am, other than that the most important thing is just enjoy being there as a bad days fishing is still better than a good days work

I'd go along with that. If you fish canals in the day, you may only get tiddlers. But at night or dawn the real fish get caught.

I was also, previously, a keen angler and thought that owning a boat would allow me endless opportunties for fishing with the additional benefit of home-comforts nearby.

Mostly, lengths of canals are allocated to a local angling club who do not issue 'day-tickets' or limit them to very short lengths. When you are 'cruising' the chances are that you will not find a mooring where you can legally cast your line.

My local canal has a good variety of species of average weight and Carp to 20lb+. If you have a permanent mooring on the Leek/Caldon you had best contact the local angling association/club with the intention of joining. They may have reciprocal agreements with adjacent clubs - unlikely as most seem keen to protect their 10 miles and ban 'malpractice' such as 'fishing from a boat'.

Alan

smiley_offtopic.gif just a little I'm afraid.....

during my walk along the sea wall towards Leigh something caught my eye in the borrowdyke (canal like waterway behind the sea wall where they dug out the material for the wall itself) At first I thought it was a large bit of plastic, then I realised that it was a huge Koi, I swear that it was a minimum of 2 foot long white with orange and black markings, I suppose that someone must have introduced it, but I thought large Koi were worth quite a lot of money

:smiley_offtopic: just a little I'm afraid.....

during my walk along the sea wall towards Leigh something caught my eye in the borrowdyke (canal like waterway behind the sea wall where they dug out the material for the wall itself) At first I thought it was a large bit of plastic, then I realised that it was a huge Koi, I swear that it was a minimum of 2 foot long white with orange and black markings, I suppose that someone must have introduced it, but I thought large Koi were worth quite a lot of money

. There value lies in certain markings ,the ones you get in the canals tend to be ghost koi that are relatively cheap but grow rapidly and so when they out grow the tank or pond they live in,they get taken to the local cut and lobbed in were they are quite happy, myself and my son have caught several double figure ghostie,s from the canals we fish on

• 4 months later...

my freind it depends on time not in our hand which fish we will catch

I just know I'm missing out with this guy's posts. I've tried reading them in the lotus position, but that doesn't make them any clearer, and I've tried putting them through Google interpreter in case it's a language thing, which it isn't. Perhaps it's just too deep for me and I'll never see the light, but he posts this stuff all the way from Australia, across time and distance, so I feel I must keep trying! Is anyone on the same transcendental plane and can interpret for me?

Thank you Sampeeter for this wise counsel. One day I too shall see the light. biggrin.png

I just know I'm missing out with this guy's posts. I've tried reading them in the lotus position, but that doesn't make them any clearer, and I've tried putting them through Google interpreter in case it's a language thing, which it isn't. Perhaps it's just too deep for me and I'll never see the light, but he posts this stuff all the way from Australia, across time and distance, so I feel I must keep trying! Is anyone on the same transcendental plane and can interpret for me?

Thank you Sampeeter for this wise counsel. One day I too shall see the light. biggrin.png

Try reading them in the Ferrari position...

MtB