Showers

Fintan

Featured Posts

YES

Fair point, I should probably have elaborated :P

Even in houses, I've found gas-powered showers to be a pain in the arse - from freezing to scalding for no good reason. Electric showers in houses are great, but I don't know how feasible they would be on a boat?

A stove-heated shower requires some prep, and doesn't seem viable as a summer option...

What would the good people of the forum who are fussy about their showers recommend?

Is it possible to get a nice shower on a boat? I'm still looking for a boat, and I've decided it's one of the few luxuries I'm not happy to sacrifice while living aboard.

Simple answer is yes. I love my shower. Some are over bath type, some are in self contained shower cubical. The latter normally the best

There are some limiting factors. If your tall like me you need a boat with good headroom or you will be crouching. so if you boat ticks all your other boxes but has no shower and your going to fit one then check headroom.

Water pressure to give you a nice flow, but that can be uprated if need be.

Most hot water tanks will hold enough for 2 showers, but not if you like standing, luxuriating yourself for half an hour.

Fair point, I should probably have elaborated tongue.png

Even in houses, I've found gas-powered showers to be a pain in the arse - from freezing to scalding for no good reason. Electric showers in houses are great, but I don't know how feasible they would be on a boat?

A stove-heated shower requires some prep, and doesn't seem viable as a summer option...

What would the good people of the forum who are fussy about their showers recommend?

Hot water is normally by :-

Diesel/gas heater

Immersion heater

Running the engine

Back boiler

Depends on your cruising activity to which will suit you best but you will need at least 2 of the above to cater for cruising, or moored with or without external power.

Changing plumbing on a boat is not always the easiest thing.

I have quite a large hot water tank heated variously by back boiler/calorifier/immersion(when on shore power) on shore power it is a large immersion and get a tank full in about 30 min. on engine an hour or two and in the winter the stove is on all the time so the water is hot all the time

Fair point, I should probably have elaborated tongue.png

Fit a thermostatic mixer, with one pump for H & C so they are both at the same pressure. If you have two pumps, the temperature will change quite sharply as one or the other pumps kick in and before the mixer has time to react.

It's simple really.

A water pump.

piping.

A quadrant shower (from Ebay...£150 with base).

Shower taps..with a mixer unit.

Gas instant heater.

A SHOWER HEAD WITH VERY FINE HOLES.

Result is a wonderful shower, lots of pressure, instant hot water, and plenty space.

Installation takes a day.

Changing plumbing on a boat is not always the easiest thing.

That's why I'd really like to buy a boat with a nice shower already installed. Difficult one to test on viewing though...

I'm of average height, the boat would probably be stationary for most of the winter (with shore power) but cruising in spring/summer. So I suppose checking for "water heated by" statements in the ads is probably the best bet.

I'd not even considered the water pressure. Sigh.

John V, that sounds perfect. Hoping not to sound too stupid - how does one whether the hot water tank is reasonably sized? It's not usually given in adverts, as far as I can recall..

A hot water tank on a boat is usually called a calorifier, it does exactly the same job but has more connections (water) and built to a higher spec

. Electric showers in houses are great, but I don't know how feasible they would be on a boat?

If you mean the 7, 9, 12 Kw etc,ones then nothing is impossible but you would need a generator (the size of your engine) to be able to run it, no way would any shoreline cope.

I wouldn't worry unduly, most boats are equipped with calorifiers which are heated by the engine and or an immersion for when you are on shore power hook up, some including mine have a 3rd option and are heated by a fire, diesel fired heater or in my case by a gas central heating boiler, hot water can also be supplied by an instant gas water heater. Many options to achieve hot water and a nice shower.

Phil