Having a tiller pin made !!

isatis

Featured Posts

I was looking for a Gnome tiller pin for Roj for a wedding anniversary present.

I know its a little premature as we have not yet go a boat,but at least it will be useful.

Anyway after extensive research could not find what i was looking for, but have found a nice brass gnome 4 inches tall on grounds that I read somewhere that someone could turn it into a pin !.

But now I cannot find who.....can anyone tell me who or how ?please

I was looking for a Gnome tiller pin for Roj for a wedding anniversary present.

I know its a little premature as we have not yet go a boat,but at least it will be useful.

Anyway after extensive research could not find what i was looking for, but have found a nice brass gnome 4 inches tall on grounds that I read somewhere that someone could turn it into a pin !.

But now I cannot find who.....can anyone tell me who or how ?please

I suggest you try the following:

Buy a cheap "standard" tiller pin.

Unscrew the (usually!) stainless steel pin from the brass body.

Measure the thread.

Drill and tap base of gnome to suit.

Put a little loctite on thread before screwing into place.

(Phew! had to rephrase last sentence carefully to avoid unfortunate double entendres)

Edited by PaulG

My partner used to make tiller pins for boating friends. I would go to charity shops and pick brass objects up very cheaply and he would attach the pin to the base - by drilling a hole if their wasn't one already, and then attached the pin by soldering it.. The problem was, not the difficulty in making one yourself, but finding and buying the actual pins to make it worth your while. Nobody wants brass objects anymore so it they are still very cheap to get hold of.

I would say if you have found the gnome then do it yourself, if you are handy. Follow Paul G's advice which will work. You Tube might also do videos. I think you can buy the screws from good DIY stores. My partner used to get his from Tool Station.

Word of warning!

Make sure the boat is happy with the new Tiller Pin. On our recent travels got a new Tiller Pin which we started to use however on those occasions that we did we had ( on separate days). Broken centre line, near flooding of boat, wife nearly getting leg trapped between boat and steel piling by a lock landing. On the days of the boats original tiller pin had no problems so i swapped them back and used the original tiller pin with no further problems rest of the trip!

I shouldn't be superstitious, but as a sailor I am!!