Battery Terminals and Covers

MunkeyBoy

Featured Posts

After spending miles more time than anticipated this morning connecting my battery terminals I have began to wonder what other people have on their boats to make connecting and disconnecting easier rather than fiddiling with spanners.

I also need some teminal covers but there are so many to choose from I just dont know what to get.

For in-line connectors after the posts, I use Anderson connectors for high current connectors - you can get up to 100's of amps rated ones

e.g. http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0027/0900766b80027c7d.pdf

But if it is just for the change of batteries every few years, I think its best ( and cheaper) to use as few connections as possible...

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Will that suffice for the boat safety?

The idea is to ensure there cant be a short across your battery terminals or from the +ve to Ground from anything falling on them. so a piece of rubber or any sort of covering is good enough for the BSS. and if they are in a position that things cant fall on them then no cover is required. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the odd examiner will do things to the letter and say there should be a cover.

Will that suffice for the boat safety?

I think it will if you have a strap over the top. Which you probably need to satisfy the BSS if your boat turns upside down.

My batteries have individual plastic battery covers and a webbing strap over the top.