BMC FUEL LIFT PUMP

Androo

Featured Posts

The ASAP type AC pump fits a lot of stuff other than BMCs so I doubt its down to manufacturing volumes, in any case I think the petrol version on the B series had a similar lever plus an insulator (as per Biz). I think it is down to the Indians doing their own thing and using a pump they already had licenses for, maybe a Jap unit or some such.

I have been asked about this type of pump before but have never been able to get any info or supplier for them so I always say talk to Calcutt.

I think it is down to the Indians doing their own thing and using a pump they already had licenses for, maybe a Jap unit or some such.

I have been asked about this type of pump before but have never been able to get any info or supplier for them so I always say talk to Calcutt.

OK,

I have found a supplier who assures me that they have the exact type of pump I need so, there is no need to alter the piping thank goodness. £27.23 plus £4.95 P &P

They deal in BMC & Thornycroft spares

They are only 20mins from where I am would you believe!

They only do mail order. I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today but I missed the post so I will pick up tomorrow.

Here's the supplier details for anyone else who is in a situation similar to me regards unusual pumps etc...

A.M.C Diesel Engineering Ltd in Longton, Preston

A.M.C Diesel Engineering Ltd

Address: Hall Lane Postcode: PR4 5ZD City/Town: Longton, Preston (Lancashire)

Contact us: 01772 613003

I believe my type of pump was used on the vehicle below:

The Hindustan Ambassador is a car manufactured by Hindustan Motors of India. It was in production from 1958 to 2014 with few improvements or changes and is based on the Morris Oxford III model, first made by the Morris Motors Limited at Cowley, Oxford in the United Kingdom from 1956 to 1959.

Despite its British origins, the Ambassador is considered as a definitive Indian car and is fondly called "The king of Indian roads".[1] The automobile is manufactured by Hindustan Motors at its Uttarpara plant[2] near Kolkata, West Bengal. Some Indian politicians, such as Sonia Gandhi, use the Hindustan Ambassador.[3]

As of 25 May 2014, the Hindustan Motors suspended the production of the Ambassador

Edited by Androo

You will still end up with the ASAP pump though. The other one looks very unusual

Richard

Hopefully not as this supplier assures me it's the same as my old one.

Just hope I am not eating my words tomorrow when I pick it up blink.png

OK, the pump was exactly the same as the old one.

28082014002.jpg

28082014.jpg

I did have a few problems with leaking pipes etc... but that was my own fault for over tightening and squashing the olives!

All seems good now.

Thanks for any help offered

Androo

• 1 month later...

What are the units shown? If they are psi then either the engine has already broken down or the gauge is wrong. If its an electric gauge I would bet on it being the sender but take care, the senders are matched to gauges. Before spending any money please check all wiring and connections and also if you have one of the very old sets that use a voltage stabiliser. If so a faulty stabiliser can give odd reading.

Expect in excess of 40 psi when hot, maybe as high as 60 psi on a BMC.

Edited by Tony Brooks

What are the units shown? If they are psi then either the engine has already broken down or the gauge is wrong. If its an electric gauge I would bet on it being the sender but take care, the senders are matched to gauges. Before spending any money please check all wiring and connections and also if you have one of the very old sets that use a voltage stabiliser. If so a faulty stabiliser can give odd reading.

Expect in excess of 40 psi when hot, maybe as high as 60 psi on a BMC.

It has two scales: KG/CMS & PSI (see photo)

I don't know what you mean by ' engine broken down' it, runs well. I read the PSI scale and like I mentioned, since fitting the new pump the PSI has gone up from 50PSI to the mark between 50/75 when engine just started. It then settles on the mark between 25/50 when warm.

DSCF1078.jpg

I cannot see why fitting a diesel lift pump would affect your oil pressure. You could get an oil leak if the pump wasn't fitted correctly or the gasket was shot. But that shouldn't affect your oil pressure adversly. I think something else might be going on with the oil pressure. Looking at that guage I don't think that those readings are too far off normal for a BMC. I think mine are around those figures although I tend to use the PSI figures, which is what Tony has quoted I think, rather than the Kg/cm (squared cubed ????) that's all foriegn stuff to me. Mine is higher when cold and when the engine has got hot and everything has loosened up the pressure drops.

Not entirely sure why you want to replace the lift pump that way Peter Bullfinch. The pump comes complete and is only held on by 2 nuts so it is very easy to replace as a whole new unit.

The oil pressure sensor is on the other side of the engine to the fuel lift pump Richard. Or at least it is on my BMC.

Not entirely sure why you want to replace the lift pump that way Peter Bullfinch. The pump comes complete and is only held on by 2 nuts so it is very easy to replace as a whole new unit.

The oil pressure sensor is on the other side of the engine to the fuel lift pump Richard. Or at least it is on my BMC.

Thanks for that. Unlikely that Androo has knocked the sensor and improved the contact then

<Off-Topic> I dislike boat instruments, they are naturally inclined to deceitfulness

Richard

If an engine was run fr any length of time with an oil pressure of 3psi the big ends would have failed or the pistons seized - that's why it would have broken down.

This oil leak from the new lift pump. Is it oil or diesel. If diesel then the pump diaphragm is leaking and it has probably diluted your sump oil BUT if it has the sump level would be going UP.

Did you change the oil recently? If so have you used some modern oil like SAE 0W15 instead of SAE 20W50 or 15W50.

I disagree that 25psi hot is a normal enough oil pressure on a BMC. It is definitely rather low and if the oil is of the correct viscosity, the oil pressure relief valve is seating correctly then it indicates either there is significant wear in the engine.

I think the oil pressure sender is on the opposite side and towards the back of the engine.

Edited by Tony Brooks

If an engine was run fr any length of time with an oil pressure of 3psi the big ends would have failed or the pistons seized - that's why it would have broken down.

This oil leak from the new lift pump. Is it oil or diesel. If diesel then the pump diaphragm is leaking and it has probably diluted your sump oil BUT if it has the sump level would be going UP.

Did you change the oil recently? If so have you used some modern oil like SAE 0W15 instead of SAE 20W50 or 15W50.

I disagree that 25psi hot is a normal enough oil pressure on a BMC. It is definitely rather low and if the oil is of the correct viscosity, the oil pressure relief valve is seating correctly then it indicates either there is significant wear in the engine.

I think the oil pressure sender is on the opposite side and towards the back of the engine.

Dunno who said that 25psi was normal/ What Androo said was that his engine sat at around 3 oobbly flinks doobryferkins when hot which if you translate the gauge he shows in the picture is roughly 45 PSI in British money. I said that was roughly where my engine oil pressure sits when the engine has warmed up. It is higher when the engine is cold.

Peter Bullfinch. I see what you mean now I thought you were talking about a BMC engine. The bits for BMCs are fairly readily available but if they became scarce then, yes, it would be prudent to replace bits that are available rather than the whole thing.

Sender is on opposite side to lift pump.

There was a small oil leak on the pump/block gasket and also a fuel leak on the body of the pump, (a hairline fracture) which caused a few litres of diesel underneath my engine. None has gone in the sump as the level has not risen at all.

I use engine oil 20w/50 Multigrade API SE/CC Specification which was last changed 10mths ago. The present oil has done less than 100hrs

Edited by Androo

That's my view, if they play up change the whole thing, not worth trying to mend.

pete.i, on 31 Oct 2014 - 9:55 PM, said:snapback.png

I'm having the same issue !

As long as the distance from the face of the lever to the lever pivot on both pumps is the same I do not see it will matter. It just means the lever touches the eccentric on the camshaft in a slightly different point in the shaft rotation.

pete.i, on 31 Oct 2014 - 9:55 PM, said:snapback.png

As long as the distance from the face of the lever to the lever pivot on both pumps is the same I do not see it will matter. It just means the lever touches the eccentric on the camshaft in a slightly different point in the shaft rotation.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, at least not in relation to that quote. Peter Bullfinch was talking about replacing the lift pump on a Saab and because he was having difficulty sourcing the pump he replaced the faulty parts. I said that I didn't see the point because the BMC pump is readily available complete and quite cheaply but I thought that Peter Bullfinch had been talking about a BMC pump. Peter Bullfinch did make it clear earlier on in the thread that he had posted about a Saab pump and not a BMC pump..