Grand Union vs Oxford

zubeye

Featured Posts

I'm wondering how nice the Southern Grand Union is.

My plan was to do a circular route from Braunston via Oxford, down the Thames to Limehouse, up Regents Canal, and then up Grand Union back to the Midlands.

I'm currently on the regents canal heading to Bulls Bridge. However looking at the map, there are a LOT of double size locks on the GU. I quite liked the Thames, and much as it irks me to double back, I'm considering being lazy and going back up the Oxford .Partly due to fewer locks, which are easier to man solo.

So is the Grand Union worth it? Easy moorings?

ps Teddington to Limehouse was easy!

I like the southern Grand Union. The scenery is great for much of the route, with my favourite bits being the Tring Summit and Marsworth, down to Grove Lock. Cosgrove and Stoke Bruerne also very nice. Plenty of places to moor along the route.

Between London and Cowroast, a lot of the locks have to be left empty, so they're likely to be in your favour when you arrive. If you're the only boat in a lock going uphil, then opening the paddles in a particular order will keep the boat against the side, and stop it banging from one side to the other: ground paddle on the same side of the boat and gate paddle on the opposite side first. If you're not in a hurry, you can use just those two.

Granted I've not seen a great deal of the system, but the Souther GU is also my favourite bit of the system so far. Denham to Watford is beautiful considering your still inside the M25 for the most part.

Make sure if you do go that way you explore the Wendover Arm, and if you can cope with the (narrow) locks on the Aylesbury Arm then the scenery is well worth it.

I even think the stretch from Bulls Bridge to Uxbridge has a certain charm.

I've been up and down that stretch several times single handed and I've never found it a chore.

Granted I've not seen a great deal of the system, but the Souther GU is also my favourite bit of the system so far. Denham to Watford is beautiful considering your still inside the M25 for the most part.

Make sure if you do go that way you explore the Wendover Arm, and if you can cope with the (narrow) locks on the Aylesbury Arm then the scenery is well worth it.

I even think the stretch from Bulls Bridge to Uxbridge has a certain charm.

I've been up and down that stretch several times single handed and I've never found it a chore.

Bendover Wendover Arm is ok and I have a love/hate thing with Aylesbury Arm - stunning canal. I would like to spend a summer just messing about between Tring, the two arms and Weedon. Ah one day.

ETA I found this juxtaposition interesting on the Wendover..... middle of no-where, turn a bend and........

20140423_153035_zps5bd832d2.jpg

Then it's gone again back to middle of no-where. Or erehwon.

Edited by mark99

I like the southern Grand Union. The scenery is great for much of the route, with my favourite bits being the Tring Summit and Marsworth, down to Grove Lock. Cosgrove and Stoke Bruerne also very nice. Plenty of places to moor along the route.

Between London and Cowroast, a lot of the locks have to be left empty, so they're likely to be in your favour when you arrive. If you're the only boat in a lock going uphil, then opening the paddles in a particular order will keep the boat against the side, and stop it banging from one side to the other: ground paddle on the same side of the boat and gate paddle on the opposite side first. If you're not in a hurry, you can use just those two.

I'd forgotten that. A lot of locks are left empty. But the gates are shut not the less. Just nudge one open as you go and work that side.

Once you get to Uxbridge/Cowley, it's a good canal as the scenery gets better. Yes lots of locks but most of em will be in your favour as mentioned above.

I agree. Recently done a trip from Hemel Hempstead downstream to Brentford and it was good. Really enjoyed it down as far as Cowley. If your near Bulls Bridge then you've not got much further to go up until it improves.

Interesting what you say about the Oxford, as that's what I'd like to try next year if I get the chance.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.