Where can I buy a marine VHF radio over the counter?

Halfie

Featured Posts

I'm about to get to Sheffield on the South Yorkshire Navigation and then will cruise to Keadby to start on the tidal Trent.

Does anyone know where I can buy a marine VHF radio between Sheffield and Keadby? It has to be in a physical shop, i.e. not on the internet.

Oh, and what would you recommend? I'm expecting to pay up to £150. It doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles.

Thanks.

I know you said "not internet" but just to give you an indication of what you can get

£56 inc next day delivery - will do everything you want

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251576045278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Why pay £100+ for something that is no better - if you are going to sea, or want a fully waterproof one then OK £150 +

Just a question - but there are two licences needed :-

1) have you got an operaters licence ?

2) is your boat licenced for a radio ?

Alan, thanks for the suggestion. I could get something delivered to my son who lives in Sheffield, but I don't do eBay.

And no, I don't have an operator's licence, nor is the boat licenced for marine radio (I didn't know it had to be). It is to be for emergency use only at this stage, and I will take the test later. (That goes for Pete and Helen too.)

Its the operator that is licensed not the boat. You can do the course on line, but have to do the exam at an approved location. Would be worth doing the course so you know what's what and what channels to use

ETA as Steve said above, Mobile is acceptable in many situations, so long as you can get a signal

Edited by Pete & Helen

You have to apply to OFCOM for a "Ship Radio Licence" - it is free of charge but you do need to do it.

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocommunication-licences/ships-radio/faq/759542

Its the operator that is licensed not the boat.

That is partially correct but - the BOAT its self has to be registered with OFCOM, in addition to the Operators Licence

You have to apply to OFCOM for a "Ship Radio Licence" - it is free of charge but you do need to do it.

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocommunication-licences/ships-radio/faq/759542

That is partially correct but - the BOAT its self has to be registered with OFCOM, in addition to the Operators Licence

Thanks for that info but what happens if I am 'riding shotgun' with my hand held VHF on a freinds boat on a river passage?

Edited by Taslim

Keeping Up, on 20 Aug 2014 - 10:40 PM, said:

You don't need a ship's licence for a hand held VHF.

Correct - a ships licence is required for a full-power, fixed installation only (which is what I have)

But you still must register (and receive a) "portable licence" for your 'hand-held' with OFCOM

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Alan, thanks for the suggestion. I could get something delivered to my son who lives in Sheffield, but I don't do eBay.

And no, I don't have an operator's licence, nor is the boat licenced for marine radio (I didn't know it had to be). It is to be for emergency use only at this stage, and I will take the test later. (That goes for Pete and Helen too.)

You need to have your licences in place before you use them, not take the course and test afterwards.

Howard

At the end of the day - no one is going to refuse to come and rescue off the weir because you dont have a licence.

It is not only a legal requirement, but sensible to learn how to use the radio correctly - I cringe when I hear even lockies (volunteers) using Marine VHF like CB - "C'mon back good buddy"

If you know how to make a Pan-Pan or Mayday call or even a general enquiry call then you will be understood and get a reply

More important than a radio is lifejackets (not buoyancy aids) and a suitable anchor and chain - have you ot those ?

You dont need to 'do' ebay you can phone them and pay by credit/debit card

Store Saver
Unit 6 Western Avenue Business Park
Mansfield Road
LONDON
London
W3 0BZ
United Kingdom

Phone:0208 9939764
I ordered one last week for someone and it came next day

You need a Ship Portable Licence which does not have to be associated with a particular vessel. That is the licence for the equipment and is issued by Ofcom.

You should also have a Short Range Certificate. That is the personal licence and is issued by RYA. However you can monitor the radio and transmit in an emergency without a Short Range Certificate.

Wow! Some fantastic suggestions here, thanks to all who have contributed. Yes, I have an anchor (two, actually!) with the right amount of chain and warp, and lifejackets.

What's the difference between lifejackets and buoyancy aids? What we have is things which zip up the front and have belts which clip - and straps to go between the legs to stop the lifejackets coming off.

I intend to use the mobile phone but, as has been mentioned, mobile phones don't always have a signal. The VHF would be purely for emergency back-up.

Yes, I should have been organised and taken the marine radio test before embarking on this cruise, but I didn't. Sorry.

You need a Ship Portable Licence which does not have to be associated with a particular vessel. That is the licence for the equipment and is issued by Ofcom.

You should also have a Short Range Certificate. That is the personal licence and is issued by RYA.

This is part of the 'problem' with the freedom of the Inland Waterways, there is no training required - just buy a boat and sail off into the sunset. No one learns about sound signals, VHF, Colregs lifejackets V buoyancy aids, anchoring etc

I have spoken to dozens of people on the Inland Waterways about using VHF and you are the first one I have come across that knows that the radio (itself) has to be licenced with Ofcom, either as a fixed station allocated to a particular boat, or as a 'portable' set.

A call sign is issued by OFCOM for each raio.

Halfie, on 20 Aug 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

What's the difference between lifejackets and buoyancy aids? What we have is things which zip up the front and have belts which clip - and straps to go between the legs to stop the lifejackets coming off.

A buoyancy aid is usually similar to a 'jacket' - put your arms thru the arm holes, zip up the front and it contains foamy stuff.

A buoyancy aid can best be thought of as giving addiional buoyancy sufficient to counteract the weight of your wet clothes.

If you are knocked off the boat, hit your head and become unconcious the buoyancy aid will kill you as its buoyancy is mainly on the back - it therefore floats you face down in the water.

A buoyancy aid is normally used by water skiers, do-nuters etc.

A life jacket is manufactured to British standards and is dsigned to turn you face-up, even if you land in the water face down.

They come in various ratings - the most common (for a competent swimmer) is 150 Newton, I am virtually a non-swimmer so I have a 275 newton lifejacket.

Most lifejackets are inflated by a small gas cylinder, they can be automatically activated (upon hitting the water) - These are the best, or manually operated, where you have to pull a small tab to inflate. - Not much use if you are unconcious.

Ideally get a lifejacket with crotch straps so that it doesnt just slide over your head when you fall in.

Using Ebay as a reference a 275 newton, automatic lifejacket can be had for £67 - £85, or £150 at a Chandlery

Example :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harveys-Marine-Safety-Equipment-275N-Automatic-Lifejacket-/201150687021?pt=UK_SportingGoods_LifeJackets_PFDs_SM&hash=item2ed583e72d

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Having gone to the trouble of doing the course, getting a radio and then setting it to scan the various Trent channels I was amazed that I received no messages during my trip from Keadby to West Stockwith. I did hear the radio traffic on the Mersey when in Liverpool so I do not think the radio is faulty.

I tried calling up West Stockwith twice and got no reply so resorted to mobile phone which got an instant reply.

Now the commercial traffic seems to have finished I think I may have wasted my money. I am not even sure a mayday or pan pan call would be heard.

As the OP will be going upstream with the tide I have personal doubts as to the degree of danger of an emergency and the need for VHF. I may revise my opinion when I go upstream from West Stockwith and maybe mix it with the NCs of this world.

Having gone to the trouble of doing the course, getting a radio and then setting it to scan the various Trent channels I was amazed that I received no messages during my trip from Keadby to West Stockwith. I did hear the radio traffic on the Mersey when in Liverpool so I do not think the radio is faulty.

I tried calling up West Stockwith twice and got no reply so resorted to mobile phone which got an instant reply.

Now the commercial traffic seems to have finished I think I may have wasted my money. I am not even sure a mayday or pan pan call would be heard.

As the OP will be going upstream with the tide I have personal doubts as to the degree of danger of an emergency and the need for VHF. I may revise my opinion when I go upstream from West Stockwith and maybe mix it with the NCs of this world.

You'll find that VHF is widely used further up the Trent, for communication with and between lock keepers and between boats, though it's a convenience rather than a safety issue.

Personally I'm happier to have vhf available, with mobile phone as backup, than to rely just on the phone.

VHF has a fairly limited range, especially if hand held, so on the tidal Trent you'll probably be out of range of other stations for long periods unless you have a very high aerial.

Tim

You'll find that VHF is widely used further up the Trent, for communication with and between lock keepers and between boats, though it's a convenience rather than a safety issue.

Personally I'm happier to have vhf available, with mobile phone as backup, than to rely just on the phone.

VHF has a fairly limited range, especially if hand held, so on the tidal Trent you'll probably be out of range of other stations for long periods unless you have a very high aerial.

Tim

On the Severn not the Trent, but I suspect the CRT lock keepers have the squelch turned well up. With a 6 watt hand I got no response until quite close to the locks. The exception being Gloucester who I had not trouble talking to from Upper Parting, so the radio certainly has the range.

A buoyancy aid is usually similar to a 'jacket' - put your arms thru the arm holes, zip up the front and it contains foamy stuff.

A buoyancy aid can best be thought of as giving addiional buoyancy sufficient to counteract the weight of your wet clothes.

If you are knocked off the boat, hit your head and become unconcious the buoyancy aid will kill you as its buoyancy is mainly on the back - it therefore floats you face down in the water.

A buoyancy aid is normally used by water skiers, do-nuters etc.

You shouldn't use that word!!! Phil and Paul will be along now!

Ideally get a lifejacket with crotch straps so that it doesnt just slide over your head when you fall in.

You can buy these as a separate add on

Dammit!!!! Timleech beat me to it

VHF is 'line of sight' - therefore a hand-held with a stubby little aerial and only putting out 3 - 6 watts (depending on model) will never work particularly well on a river or canal where the banks are higher than the aerial, or there are trees or buildings to block the signal.

Hand helds are convenient but not as good as a fixed installation with a longer aerial and 25 watts output.

If your hand-held has a removable aerial your transmit/receive range can be drastically improved by using a mag-mount on the boat roof.

A bigger aerial - even a 1/4 wave - and a good ground plane will make a huge difference.

Apart from the potential safety aspects, I find that the ability to call up the lockies and say "10 minutes away, can the lock be in our favour" means that in the majority of cases the lock gates are open when we arrive and we go straight in. If the lock is busy then the lockie can tell us to 'hang back' and take our time, and again by the time we have got there the lock is ready.