Is C&RT's Boat/Location Logging System Fit for Purpose?

Tony Dunkley

Featured Posts

Cut Naughty Cal some slack will you?

It's my turn with the brain cell today...

MtB

Alright, I will. How about working out and posting a roster for it (the TSSBC) on the Forum . . . then I'll know which one of you to be offensive to on any particular day.

• Greenie 1

Alright, I will. How about working out and posting a roster for it (the TSSBC) on the Forum . . . then I'll know which one of you to be offensive to on any particular day.

Surely as you allegedly have more than one brain cell you should be able to work it out for yourself?

Don't over-complicate things or the cell will get overloaded and burst.

And then how would they all cope without our collective wisdom...?

MtB

Dont worry it wont get overloaded this weekend laugh.png

ETA: It might get pickled though cheers.gif

Edited by Naughty Cal

Dude, lighten up!

The time shared brain cell remark was priceless, and NC and mayalid handled it with dignity and aplomb. NC coming back with wanting to reserve that one brain cell for the weekend was comic gold.

Granted, playing grammar police is almost always a recipe for humiliation for the person who starts it. But it happens sometimes and it's often fun to see people sticking their foot in their mouth.

There's nothing wrong with a little amusement and comic relief whilst waiting for Nigel's next erudite comment.

Grammar police, apostrophe police. I am not really either.

There are, from time to time, a variety of punctuation mistakes, spelling mistakes and incorrect usages of words in the forum. This is part of life. But, (never commence a sentence with "but") and it is quite a big but, NC, for whatever reason, keeps attacking me. This doesn't bother me unduly other than an annoyance, a bit like a mosquito. It is part of NC. She seldom, if ever, makes any attempt to input anything useful, there was once apparently something about bridge operation, but confines her inputs to criticisms, aimed at me or anyone else with whom she disagrees. Tony Dunkley comes to mind.She continually refers to me as a miserable git. OK, her opinion doesn't really count for much as far as I am concerned but it is annoying.

For someone who feels it her duty in life to put right all us lesser beings I do think she could make some attempt to put her own house in order first and use the language as it is meant to be used. It can have a big effect on meaning and surely, after all the years the language has developed there must be a reason for the apostrophe.

This latest outburst from her was occasioned by my not thinking that Canal and River Trust staff doing the job they were paid to do was anything to celebrate, as I have mentioned before, I believe.

As for humiliation and foot in mouth, would you care to explain, please.

There are, from time to time, a variety of punctuation mistakes, spelling mistakes and incorrect usages of words in the forum. This is part of life. But, (never commence a sentence with "but") and it is quite a big but, NC, for whatever reason, keeps attacking me. This doesn't bother me unduly other than an annoyance, a bit like a mosquito. It is part of NC. She seldom, if ever, makes any attempt to input anything useful, there was once apparently something about bridge operation, but confines her inputs to criticisms, aimed at me or anyone else with whom she disagrees. Tony Dunkley comes to mind.She continually refers to me as a miserable git. OK, her opinion doesn't really count for much as far as I am concerned but it is annoying.

For someone who feels it her duty in life to put right all us lesser beings I do think she could make some attempt to put her own house in order first and use the language as it is meant to be used. It can have a big effect on meaning and surely, after all the years the language has developed there must be a reason for the apostrophe.

This latest outburst from her was occasioned by my not thinking that Canal and River Trust staff doing the job they were paid to do was anything to celebrate, as I have mentioned before, I believe.

I think you should take a look back through a few topics and see who is the one provoking the "attacks"

frusty.giffrusty.giffrusty.gif

I will give you a clue. It isnt me Dick.

ETA: No doubt Dick will now flounce off claiming its all so unfair. rolleyes.gif

And yes there is an apostrophe missing but as it seems to wind you up thats how its going to stay laugh.png

Edited by Naughty Cal

As far as grammatical pedantry goes I would agree. Would you say it was any worse than someone commenting on a post with a "double negative" therein. Especially as there was not such device.

Are you STILL not over that?

Remind me, how many YEARS have you been pursuing the same grudge?

Are you STILL not over that?

Remind me, how many YEARS have you been pursuing the same grudge?

Not a grudge at all. It is simply that when people attack me for no other reason than to show the world how clever they are I tend to remember it. This comment you made about wanting to loose the double negative was made in the middle of a thread and up to that point you had made no postings at all, as far as \i can recall. It was simply a totally offensive comment made for your own gratification.

You obviously remember it so you quote the years.

Surely you mean "forever and a day" ninja.gif

B***** H***, careful, you will invoke the dreaded Nowty Cal.

Anyway, enough of this nonsense, I won't make anymore comments about NC's ignorance of English punctuation and she will be able to go back to playing with her dollies.

Edited by Rich

Not a grudge at all. It is simply that when people attack me for no other reason than to show the world how clever they are I tend to remember it. This comment you made about wanting to loose the double negative was made in the middle of a thread and up to that point you had made no postings at all, as far as \i can recall. It was simply a totally offensive comment made for your own gratification.

B***** H***, careful, you will invoke the dreaded Nowty Cal.

Anyway, enough of this nonsense, I won't make anymore comments about NC's ignorance of English punctuation and she will be able to go back to playing with her dollies.

I suppose this response will just be classed as another "attack" Dick?

No doubt the teddy will go out of the pram shortly followed by the dummy and the bottle, then the screaming will start and the throwing ones arms around.

If you cant handle Dick dear dont dish it out.

From Nigel's posts it doesn't seem they have anywhere else to go with this. All you appear to have to do is sit tight and not do anything nuts between now and November.

As far as my direct involvement in this, in reality a C&RT exercise to test their chances of successfully operating beyond their powers under Section 17(3) of the 1995 BW Act by imposing cruising requirements on boats when away from their home mooring, then you are probably right in what you say.

My greatest concern is that they will now choose to start the process all over again with someone else who may turn out to be a somewhat easier target. If this happens they will almost certainly begin the process in the same way as they did in my case and others, with an inappropriate County Court Procedure accompanied by late served and incomplete paperwork, with the intention, successful in previous cases, of obtaining a Court Order and Injunction after a ten minute hearing when the boat owner is not allowed to speak in their own defence, even in the unlikely event of them actually being there.

Information and details of C&RT's methods for abuse of legal process, and repertoire of dirty tricks, are being passed on to all organisations representing boaters interests, and I hope that an awareness of how C&RT are prepared to behave, and the fact that they do not have to be allowed to get away with it, will find it's way out to all boaters via the members and readers of this Forum.

Edited by tony dunkley

As far as my direct involvement in this, in reality a C&RT exercise to test their chances of successfully operating beyond their powers under Section 17(3) of the 1995 BW Act by imposing cruising requirements on boats when away from their home mooring, then you are probably right in what you say.

My greatest concern is that they will now choose to start the process all over again with someone else who may turn out to be a somewhat easier target. If this happens they will almost certainly begin the process in the same way as they did in my case and others, with an inappropriate County Court Procedure accompanied by late served and incomplete paperwork, with the intention, successfully in previous cases, of obtaining a Court Order and Injunction after a ten minute hearing when the boat owner is not allowed to speak in their own defence, even in the unlikely event of them actually being there.

There's not much you can do about that but I agree, based on what I've seen and heard they seem like a petty and vindictive shower or at least there are such elements within the organisation.

Actually, I can't remember exactly what was said, or how many years ago it was.

However, over the years, I can't help noticing that periodically, somebody makes reference to something I said years ago, and the realisation dawns that it is you who simply can't let it go.

Clearly the incident is vitally important to you. To me, it is something that I have long ceased to think of, other than when you jog my memory.

NC and MtB - You're really honing the SSTSBC repertoire. Thanks for the chuckles!

I used to teach English and the way that people write on forums often makes me cringe. The way I write on forums often makes me cringe, but that's just the nature of forums. Grammar Police is a common forum expression for people who go around correcting other people's writing on forums. This is a ridiculous thing to do because even the best writers cannot proofread their own work immediately after they write it, if ever, and forums are spontaneous in nature. So good writers make mistakes and poor writers write poorly. Criticizing such on a forum is essentially a waste of time.

It is almost inevitable that the person playing Grammar Police will make a mistake in their policing post, which should be embarrassing, hence the humiliation and foot in mouth remarks. Personally, I don't play Grammar Policeman, however, I will sometimes point out to those who do how what they have said is wrong. My remarks that you quoted were meant to be generic in nature, and not directed at you personally.

eta ...not worth the effort

Sorry you feel that way, John. I would have valued your opinion, and possibly learned from it.