Very very stuck water filler cap

JohnnyHop

Featured Posts

The latest little surprise as I find the quirks of my tub is that the water filler cap is stuck fast, possibly due to cross-threading, although I can't confirm.

It looks like someone has had a good old crack at loosening it before and given up.

I applied reasonable strength to the task, with no joy, even with liberal application of WD40 etc.

I'm reluctant to apply any further torque as I'm worried that I'll just sheer the filler pipe away from the hull (fibreglass)

Any suggestions befor I drill the cap out with the inevitable contamination of the tank?

Thanks in advance

John

The latest little surprise as I find the quirks of my tub is that the water filler cap is stuck fast, possibly due to cross-threading, although I can't confirm.

It looks like someone has had a good old crack at loosening it before and given up.

I applied reasonable strength to the task, with no joy, even with liberal application of WD40 etc.

I'm reluctant to apply any further torque as I'm worried that I'll just sheer the filler pipe away from the hull (fibreglass)

Any suggestions befor I drill the cap out with the inevitable contamination of the tank?

Thanks in advance

John

Try a proper releasing fluid - WD 40 is not really up to the task.

Plus gas is worthy a go.

Thanks in advance

John

A photo of your filler is essential so we can know what type of filler cap it is, exactly, that needs releasing.

Here's a very common type for example. Is it one of these?

AD-014_DetailMain.jpg

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/filler-water-1-3-8-neck-brass?productID=b4ef35b0-6437-4c81-91b5-64ccdc93e1db&catalogueLevelItemID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

If so, and as it's in a fibreglass hull, I'd be inclined to remove the four fixing screws and free/remove the cap on a bench, or just fit a new one.

MtB

A photo of your filler is essential so we can know what type of filler cap it is, exactly, that needs releasing.

Here's a very common type for example. Is it one of these?

AD-014_DetailMain.jpg

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/filler-water-1-3-8-neck-brass?productID=b4ef35b0-6437-4c81-91b5-64ccdc93e1db&catalogueLevelItemID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

If so, and as it's in a fibreglass hull, I'd be inclined to remove the four fixing screws and free/remove the cap on a bench, or just fit a new one.

MtB

yes it looks like that but silver in colour. I considered just undoing the retaining screws but a) I didn't know (until your reply) the extent of the whole assembly and the screws are just rotating in situ which suggests sheered threads in the hull and subsequent bonding of the the assembly to the hull.

Edited by JohnnyHop

yes it looks like that but silver in colour. I considered just undoing the retaining screws but a) I didn't know (until your reply) the extent of the whole assembly and the screws are just rotating in situ which suggests sheered threads in the hull and subsequent bonding of the the assembly to the hull.

Or nuts on the inside that are going around with the screws

You are going to have to get to the back of the fitting to sort this out

Richard

• Greenie 1

Thanks for posting though - I'm looking at boats at the moment, one of the checks I'll put on the list, is to see if the water cap comes on and off easily. If it doesn't, would be a good bargaining point.

Expect it to make about £5 difference to the price

Richard

Another tortuous trip into the bowels of the boat it seems. I so need to lose 4 stone.......

This is vaguely puzzling. How long has it been stuck for?

Was it you who last replaced the cap? Or is it a recently purchased boat? If the latter, and there was water in the tank, the seller had probably devised a different way of filling the tank, perhaps via the air vent.

Alternatively if it jammed after you replaced it last time apparently normally, application of heat (e.g. drenching it with boiling water) then trying again might get it loose.

You'll still need to re-tighten those nuts though!

MtB

Every £5 saved is good news for a Scottish person!

Assuming the seller thinks you are a serious buyer and not some nit-picking fool

On the other hand, when the right boat finds you, you won't be fussing about small problems, you'll just want to buy her

Richard

This is vaguely puzzling. How long has it been stuck for?

Was it you who last replaced the cap? Or is it a recently purchased boat? If the latter, and there was water in the tank, the seller had probably devised a different way of filling the tank, perhaps via the air vent.

Alternatively if it jammed after you replaced it last time apparently normally, application of heat (e.g. drenching it with boiling water) then trying again might get it loose.

You'll still need to re-tighten those nuts though!

MtB

Its been stuck since I've owned it (9 months), I've had other areas of the boat to focus on, running water is more 'lifestyle' that having the engines running etc

The seller never claimed to have used the water system, I'm guessing they worked around it with bottled water.

I'll make sure the new assembly is properly installed, I'm trying my hardest to 'un-botch' the boat

errr. in that case a new water tank and pipework as well.

another, possibly drastic, way cut the water filler out, repair GRP and put filler (new) in more accessible and protected place.

On my GRP boat both the fuel filler and the water filler were in the side deck and connected to the respective tanks by a length of short hose. I had to change filler once and it was a simple job to get under the side deck and undo the jubilee clip, undo the 4 retaining screws and 'voila, maybe your filler is joined to the tank by pipework.

Phil

Assuming the seller thinks you are a serious buyer and not some nit-picking fool

On the other hand, when the right boat finds you, you won't be fussing about small problems, you'll just want to buy her

Richard

Absolutely! All the sage advice says buy with your head and not your heart. We bought Theodora Heart:Head about 4:1 and have regretted it not one bit! Heart is really important.

N

Richard

Sorry mate, I'll have to disagree, to me a fully working domestic water system is kinda a requirement on a boat! Yes the cap only costs £5, but its removal and replacement if stuck as in the OP's case might cost hundreds at a boatyard, or be a major hassle if done DIY. I know for ours, we'd need to remove quite a lot of panels etc to get to the water tank. And the OP mentions its GRP so the possibility of damaging the GRP is real.

And also as has been illustrated by subsequent posts, a non-working water system might reveal other issues above & beyond a seized cap, for example what if the tank was contaminated etc?

Sorry mate, I'll have to disagree, to me a fully working domestic water system is kinda a requirement on a boat! Yes the cap only costs £5, but its removal and replacement if stuck as in the OP's case might cost hundreds at a boatyard, or be a major hassle if done DIY. I know for ours, we'd need to remove quite a lot of panels etc to get to the water tank. And the OP mentions its GRP so the possibility of damaging the GRP is real.

And also as has been illustrated by subsequent posts, a non-working water system might reveal other issues above & beyond a seized cap, for example what if the tank was contaminated etc?

I'm actually most concerned that the tank (and the bits surrounding it) was left full and is frost-damaged

Yes - you haven't bought a boat yet, have you?

Richard

Yes when buying a boat, it can often turn out that apparently minor faults like a stuck water filler cap are masking far deeper problems. Only when one fixes the 'surface' fault (e.g by getting the cap freed) does one realise that, for example, it was fixed in place because, again for example, there actually IS no water tank...

So when buying then yes, my suspicions are immediately raised by apparently cheap-and-easy-to-fix faults remaining un-fixed. I need to find out WHY they haven't been fixed.

MtB

Yes I have

Then I admire your ability to hold the facts above your emotions in making your purchase

I haven't come across another boat with a failed water system

Richard

I remember reading on here of a water tank that never needed refilling, although the water was a bit brown.

ISTR that particular boat was steel not GRP.