Removing Hull Blacking

Featured Posts

Hi i have a 1976 harborough marine with a grp top and its just had to have a hull survey as i put a scraper through the side where the rear swim is and she started to leak.

Its due to be surveyed next march for insurance so it had to be done soon anyway but we needed to see if it was worth keeping.

Thankfully she only needs plating at the swim and the uxter plate so we will be keeping her.

The other recommendation though was for us to remove all the old blacking as its that thick it just chips off and is quite pointless so my question to everyone is with the exception of scrapers how can i get this off as im sure sandpaper no matter what grit i use will clog instantly.The surveyor did mention something that goes on an angle grinder but i didnt catch what.Im assuming its some kind of wire brush arrangement but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Also if anyone who can weld would like to come to st19 and quote me for the welding job message me and ill sort out a meeting.I do have pics of the places to do and measurements on phone and ill add them as soon as i can.

Thanks.

Be careful of the cheapies on EBay. I used them to take car filler off the roof of my boat. I have no idea why my boat had car filler totally covering the roof but it did. Anyway the filler started to come away after 30 odd years so I decided to remove it and paint the roof. I used the cheap knotted wire brushes that you can get off EBay and the wires come out and get fired around like little bullets. I think I bought 4 and used 2 before I decided to go and get some more expensive ones. I was wearing safety gear. goggles, leather gloves and coveralls but the bits of wire still stuck into the bits of skin that were exposed. Even with the expensive brushes you still need to wear protective gear especially goggles.

Pete

Ill be trying one of those i think, thanks

Two people, two wall paper scrapers, one cool day and a few beers washed down with a curry at the end of the day.

Darren

Sounds ideal but i fear it would be 14 days crates of beer and numerous curries.

Scabbler or Perago perhaps, if it chips off 'easily', otherwise grit/shot/soda blasting?

They look wicked and much fun, ill see where i can get them from, thanks

Be careful of the cheapies on EBay. I used them to take car filler off the roof of my boat. I have no idea why my boat had car filler totally covering the roof but it did. Anyway the filler started to come away after 30 odd years so I decided to remove it and paint the roof. I used the cheap knotted wire brushes that you can get off EBay and the wires come out and get fired around like little bullets. I think I bought 4 and used 2 before I decided to go and get some more expensive ones. I was wearing safety gear. goggles, leather gloves and coveralls but the bits of wire still stuck into the bits of skin that were exposed. Even with the expensive brushes you still need to wear protective gear especially goggles.

Pete

Thanks i will, i usually buy from screwfix as its nice to have a point of sale you can return too in the eventuality its rubbish.