Thank you CaRT

Darren72

Featured Posts

We managed the Ashby last year with virtually no problems, and we draw nearly 3ft underway, A considerable improvement on a few years ago, when we ran aground quite a few times,

Interesting, my experience was also a few years ago, and we didn't get stuck once. Only at one point were we churning the bottom, and that because I mucked up the corner.

Interesting, my experience was also a few years ago, and we didn't get stuck once. Only at one point were we churning the bottom, and that because I mucked up the corner.

A really bad spot is just east of Bulkington Lane (Bridge 5) on the bend in the deep cutting below the caravan park where the towpath is high above the water level. If you're heading west and someone's coming towards you, don't be tempted to move over towards the towpath because that's where you'll stay for a while. There are a few other spots where the bottom approaches the top just east of where the Liverpool supporter lives so until the dredger does his job it's best to keep to the middle in that area.

Well theyre dredging the Ashby in preparation for our arrival in the 2nd week in August. Is this canal historically bad for low draft boats?

One of the very few canals that we have stuck fast after grounding. We were hire boaters at the time and needed the assistance of another CWDF member to get off.

I cant recall the exact location now but it was a bend and was notorious for grounding boats.