Annoying fisherman

Yamanx

Featured Posts

Yeah I've noticed they always fish by the bollards maybe fishermen tie themselves to those so that they cant be pushed in by animal right saboteurs?

never mind the animal rights saboteurs!

its the boating rights saboteurs they need to watch out for :) heeeeehe

You park yer boat do ya, and moor yer car? :)

I don't understand why people fish near locks anyway. As soon as those paddles open do they really think any fish is going to hang around to get blasted by thousands of litres of water travelling down the cut sharpish..

I don't know maybe they do! :)

Pike especially, luuurve fast moving waters. As a kid, Teddington Lock and the weirs were top ranked as piking spots.

Never, in al the thirty three years of canalling (32y 10m of hiring and 2months of owning :-) ) have I had any bother with fishermen. Ihave had cheery "good mornings" and dour looks but never an insult or injury.

Nick

Never, in al the thirty three years of canalling (32y 10m of hiring and 2months of owning :-) ) have I had any bother with fishermen. Ihave had cheery "good mornings" and dour looks but never an insult or injury.

Nick

erm, is your boat really a klingon warbird? cough cough :) (cloaked)

Edited by minerva

I ve had the lot - being ignored, being shouted at and a few 'Good Day to You's'

What I can't get to grips with is what exactly fisherman want us to do (apart from the obvious which is scrap our boats and recycle them into fishing hooks) i.e. sail closest to the bank, down the middle or as far away as possible.

On the whole I find them a pretty morose bunch but hey that's probably why they engage in such a solitary 'sport'

The Environment Agency standard rod licence is currently £24

I have been told that the EA rod license has a section in the small print about boats. Has anyone got a rod license and can tell us what it says?

Most of the time we get toleration but in many cases, the anglers are friendly and sometimes helpful and/or curious. It may be different on the rivers (where we are) but the place with most anglers is the local public (48 hour) moorings. Since there are big signs up saying 'MOORINGS' we have only had one outburst. Only at my wife though, he went quiet each time I came to see what was going on :)

On the whole I find them a pretty morose bunch but hey that's probably why they engage in such a solitary 'sport'

Well I'm certainly not morose, but I know what you mean. I used to think the same until I started angling. Now I know that the majority of them aren't miserable - they're concentrating! All the anglers I've met have been a great laugh, and a nice bunch of guys. Very cheerful and very helpful.

Janet

I'd be careful if I was you, Janet's reading

I have been told that the EA rod license has a section in the small print about boats. Has anyone got a rod license and can tell us what it says?

Good question, will look mine out tonight, unless, Janet, have you got yours to hand?

Actually, rjholt did say “on the whole”, implying that there are exceptions.

I ve had the lot - being ignored, being shouted at and a few 'Good Day to You's'

What I can't get to grips with is what exactly fisherman want us to do (apart from the obvious which is scrap our boats and recycle them into fishing hooks) i.e. sail closest to the bank, down the middle or as far away as possible.

On the whole, they want you to stay away from their lines i.e. usually as far away as possible. I don't want to start anything but when it comes to morose, solitary types, I don't think narrowboat owners are far behind anglers generally (might not NB owners moroseness be linked to the fact they have invested heavily in a goverment funded failing resource?) It's a lot easier to throw away a bag of fishing tackle and write off the loss than a narrowboat.

Maybe the're not as dumb as some on here give them credit for?

Janet, have you got yours to hand?

No I haven't, but I'll check it out when I get home. I don't think there's anything about boats on it. There's very little information on it about anything at all really. I get most of my info from the EA website and just use common sense.

Janet

I guess what they would really like is for us to get on to the bank and carry the boat past them.

I often slow down slow enough to be able to explain why I can't do this and it often gets a resposive laugh or smile . . .

ANNOYING FISHERMAN.

Isn't this one of those phrases or sentences that can be read in more than one way, I used to know the name once. A bit like, 'Eats shoots and leaves'. or another slightly cruder one.

I thought that many would suggest ways of annoying the fishermen, I am very disappointed.

We haven't come across any that actually gave us abuse yet, but I can't imagine how you get around having two boats passing each other with fishermen on the path without them having to compromise here. I mean you can't move a 15 ton NB just like that can you?

We have always slowed down and moved over if it's been possible.

well, we've gone here, there, and all over the cut, to suit em.... one lot say one thing if you ask another & they say the opposite...believe me, we have tried to suit them...after all who wants their afternoon ruining? but sometimes as someone has pointed out...I reckon they just want us to **** orf basically.

i think its time really, that alternative fishing places be sought for fishermen... in fact in a previous post on this very subject, a few have said that they no longer fish on the canals any more. Its a bit like people wanting to sunbathe and have peace and quiet at the trackside at Silverstone.... in reality its not happening :/ there's more boats on the cut than ever( mind you, thats providing any one can afford to take them out next year!!!!!) lol

your heart sinks as soon as you see a fishing match up front, because your wondering who's going to start being arsey..

not nice... :/

The other way, is to open the regulator wide, dig your stern in, throw up loads of smoke and stir up the cut like it was the severn Bore - then when they wave their fists at you - you will know that you have earned it!

Edited by NB Alnwick

Annoying fisherman Great sport innit :)

Actually I'm joking of course.....

If another boater annoys you, well you have to be civil, because you'll can both have a cordlass (Drill to return and drill holes in the bottom of each others boats) But 'the brain dead' (fishermen) well they have the upper hand, obviously. They can easily return to fill your boat will holes, open the sea-cock, set fire to it. All you can do is quickly fetch a chain saw, to saw their rod up before they go home.

I never understood what all the fuss was about......until I got a boat.

However, since my forays up the Trent, I now just move to the other side, and unless it is a match, don't need to slow down. Have to say the mouth has been worth it's weight, as I've only had one bo**&^ing last year, as apposed to one for EVERY fisherman I passed.

On Alan's 'Fuzzyduck' I moved to the other side of the GU above Foxton, and got told to stay in the middle.

One of the best tales I've heard was years ago. Workmate was in the firms team, in fact the captain for some time. On one Monday morning he was bemoaning his lot however. Instead of the usual, how many tons (or it may have been lbs) he had caught it was "All I caught was my walkman, after it had fallen out of my pocket while I was trying to fish my chair out the wind had blown in" :lol::D :D

I've found one good solution.....put a crew member on deck. They get all the abuse for your not slowing down, so do all the shouting and arguing. You on the other hand can't hear a thing :)

We cruised the BCN in September and pointedly said 'hello' to all the fishermen. (We slowed down when passing and moved over to the other bank) I have to say they all replied happily and several showed us their tiny catches. It was great to hear the Brum accent too. On the days that we didn't leave the boat it was the only local voices we heard.

Why do you need ££££££ of tackle to catch something smaller than you keep in a fish tank?

Can I throw my two-pennorth in as angler and a (sometimes) boater so having a foot in both camps

If the anglers have those extremely long poles going across the canal they are fishing under the far bank and might get a bit frustrated if the swim building they have been doing (delicately feeding small amounts of bait into the water to get the fish feeding where they can place their bait) is ruined by a boat riding over it and churning everything up. On the other hand they may be "fishing down the side" - their own side - in which case the same applies - in canals anglers rarely put their baits down the middle of the water because the fish holding places in a canal are on the edge of a "drop off" (a place where the depth changes from shallower in the side to the deeper middle)

In my experience the best thing to do, if they don't make it obvious, is to call out to them and ask them which side they would like you to pass them - they generally respond to that small courtesy in a similar way.

What they don't respond courteously to is a boat charging down the river as though the anglers don't exist or have no right to be there - that kind of attitude from boaters - and it happens regularly is the kind of thing that causes friction and does not help at all

I'll tell you a story - A few years ago I was fishing a match on the Ancholme when a cruiser came flying down the river pushing up a huge bow-wave - as he passed each angler in turn his wash picked up the keep nets and started dragging them down the river - there were anglers all down the line hanging on to there kit to prevent it being washed away and scrambling up the bank to prevent themselves being washed away - I shouted to the guy that he could see what was happening and he might have the decency to slow down to which his reply was "unprintable" - it's that kind of arrogant (dare I say aggressive) behaviour from one water user to another that does nothing but cause almost automatic animosity

Now I know that some anglers can behave just as badly but I find that if I show, first, that I care a little about their day out they generally respond in kind

On the other hand if I'm fishing and I see a boater exercising a little consideration I give them a little acknowledgement in return - a nice thank you as they pass or a wave or even a nod or a compliment about their boat or a remark about the weather improves relations no end and they generally wave back

I expect that some may find this explanation difficult to accept but it's MY experience and it works for me

Edited by Bazza2

Why do they assume all the fish are on the other side of the canal? I've seen these poles going accross the canal from both sides before, whats all that about?

I have often wondered about poles stretching acroos the canal. If they want to fish on the other side why don't they go over there?

Only 11 weeks until we are back for our next cruise.

Cheers

Bill

i think its time really, that alternative fishing places be sought for fishermen

So Min, where would you suggest us anglers move to? Outer Mongolia? Uzbekistan? We pay our licence fee. We have as much right to use the canals as you do.

I happen to love fishing on the canals, and I don't mind in the slightest when a boat comes through. It's never easy fishing on canals at the best of times, but I'm always happy to exchange a friendly word - really throws some of the boaters, as they're expecting me to be grumpy at having my fishing disturbed! I make sure I lift my rod out in plenty of time, so they have no worries about tangling lines etc. As a boater too, I'm always pleased to see a boat passing through, showing that my canal is being used as it should be, by boats. Being disturbed by a passing boat is only a small inconvenience, and a chance to pour another cuppa!

However, I'm sure it must be annoying as a match angler in a competition, when you've spent time feeding and attracting fish into your swim, only to have it all churned up by a boat passing through. I don't think pleasure anglers like me would mind too much, but you have to remember that some of the match anglers you see lined up on the banks in their long lines are competing for sometimes very considerable amounts of money. May explain their grumpy attitude at times! You'd be a bit p***ed off if someone buggered that up for you!

Surely there's room for all of us? Bit of give and take and understanding wouldn't go amiss. Canals are now mainly recreational resources - for all of us. Anglers, boaters, walkers, cyclists (and the weird guy swimming naked in the Lancaster last year!) It's a long way from what they were originally intended for, but there's room for all of us, isn't there?

Janet

Edited for typo

Edited by Janet S

I have often wondered about poles stretching acroos the canal. If they want to fish on the other side why don't they go over there?

Only 11 weeks until we are back for our next cruise.

Cheers

Bill

Because they can't get to that side mostly - and the fish tend to stay on the side of the water that has the least disturbance on it

Janet - Well said

Edited by Bazza2

Must say that we have been on the cut on and off since 1968, and can count on one hand the number of times we have had confrontation with fishermen. As someone else said, slow down , ask which side they want you on, and 99% are fine. I have had many friendly chats with many fishermen.