What would you do if you could not afford the licence fee?

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

<Shrug> Lost a job, couldn't get another (My excuse was the recession), too proud to ask for help, lost the boat. Had to move back in at home. (Summarised)

(Edit to add) I now own a house, which I'm renting out, and a boat which I'm living on. If I mention how long it is since I've been unemployed, I know *exactly* what will happen tomorrow...

Oh well, at least you've got a house and a boat then...what's the name of the new boat?...

I've been broke a few times since then, and I've always managed to have a bed under a weatherproof roof of some sort, even if it has been a dodgy caravan in a layby.

As they say, wherever you lay your hat, that's your hat

Richard

I like your boat name....sorry you're old boats name...

It was fitting too. She spent almost as much time under the water as the Gerry Anderson Stingray. One high point was lifting the stern out to put some caulking in between the keel and the bottom plank, because I couldn't afford to dock her, and her knees were probably too weak to survive the experience anyway, while watching the front end gently sink below the surface as the dry planks above the waterline didn't seal at all well.

The message got to a friend of mine in Birmingham within a couple of hours in the days before cellphones...

Oh well, at least you've got a house and a boat then...what's the name of the new boat?...

My original boat in 1976 - 78 was called Stingray, a 32 foot clinker built ex-fishing boat, ex-floating workmens' restroom & tug, and rotten as a pear.

The current one's name is in my signature, a Springer, and I've been living on board since the end of last August.

It was fitting too. She spent almost as much time under the water as the Gerry Anderson Stingray. One high point was lifting the stern out to put some caulking in between the keel and the bottom plank, because I couldn't afford to dock her, and her knees were probably too weak to survive the experience anyway, while watching the front end gently sink below the surface as the dry planks above the waterline didn't seal at all well.

The message got to a friend of mine in Birmingham within a couple of hours in the days before cellphones...

My original boat in 1976 - 78 was called Stingray, a 32 foot clinker built ex-fishing boat, ex-floating workmens' restroom & tug, and rotten as a pear.

The current one's name is in my signature, a Springer, and I've been living on board since the end of last August.

It's a great life isn't it? Fair play....

It's a great life isn't it? Fair play....

It is, and I'd not want to go back and change anything I've done, in case the alternative turned out to be worse. It's just taken a fair amount of determination and luck to get to where I am today, via a few very low points.

I'm fully aware that others have not had the lucky breaks I've had, and sympathise with them. Help is given where needed and possible.

It is, and I'd not want to go back and change anything I've done, in case the alternative turned out to be worse. It's just taken a fair amount of determination and luck to get to where I am today, via a few very low points.

I'm fully aware that others have not had the lucky breaks I've had, and sympathise with them. Help is given where needed and possible.

Well my answer to the OP's question is...sell your house if you have one...if you haven't got a house, ask for help...if you can't get help...try to take over some land....

Alternatively move the boat to waterways where no licence is required for a while until funds become avaliable to buy a CRT licence.

Sadly though, if they can afford the diesel or the transport to move the boat, it's likely that they could afford the licence.

3 people at £30 a month each, is £1 a day each. I appreciate that it's easy for me to say but, assuming they are eating and mooring, and things, they might be able to reduce their costs by £1 per day each - I don't know.

Do any of them smoke or drink? Have a takeaway each week, or more often, buy a magazine, and so on.

They could each make it their "job" to generate £7 per week each. Worst case scenario could be sitting on a street pavement with a hat on the floor until £7 was in it. I don't know how long that might take, but if I were at the point of not enough to pay £1 per day for something I need, I'd take the plunge.

All persons over the age of 50 (fifty) qualify for help from AGE UK telephone numbers all over the place and offices and shops, some of the shops have an office within them. We know several people who have sought their help and advice. They will take you all the way through the benefits system. Some people have been very surprised to find that they are eligible for more than they were getting.

Ed. - just realised Athy or MTB are going to pull me on my inquiry/enquiry faux pas....

As far as I'm aware, and despite what somebody else has suggested, they are synonymous.

If none of them are disabled there is really know excuse for not being able to raise a few quid I don,t wish to lay on a hard luck story ,but when I have know work on I can easily raise between 60 and a hundred pounds in a day from going through skips ,so get off your ass swallow your pride and go out and make some money

If none of them are disabled there is really know excuse for not being able to raise a few quid I don,t wish to lay on a hard luck story ,but when I have know work on I can easily raise between 60 and a hundred pounds in a day from going through skips ,so get off your ass swallow your pride and go out and make some money

Wow! You find money in skips?

Wow! You find money in skips?

. Muck is brass as the saying goes ,I get verbally abused ,looked at like muck and pulled in by the police on a regular basis but I,d rather have a pocket full of cash than sit around on my ass bleating .we all have choices and that's mine

. Muck is brass as the saying goes ,I get verbally abused ,looked at like muck and pulled in by the police on a regular basis but I,d rather have a pocket full of cash than sit around on my ass bleating .we all have choices and that's mine

What types of things do you find, and where do you sell them?

£100 a day is £25k a year!

I am mainly looking for metal to sell for scrap but I have picked up 3 outboard motors two are in my garage one fully working and one waiting for my attention the third I sold for150 quid as a none runner I also have a type writer that's 104 years old and worth a few hundred quid that will go on eBay soon and a few other bits and pieces plus I,ve had quite a few decent push bikes my best day so far this year was 220 pounds .like I said you are looked down on by most people but as long as I have my health I will always be able to earn a pound or two

I am mainly looking for metal to sell for scrap but I have picked up 3 outboard motors two are in my garage one fully working and one waiting for my attention the third I sold for150 quid as a none runner I also have a type writer that's 104 years old and worth a few hundred quid that will go on eBay soon and a few other bits and pieces plus I,ve had quite a few decent push bikes my best day so far this year was 220 pounds .like I said you are looked down on by most people but as long as I have my health I will always be able to earn a pound or two

I hope you ask and get permission before you take stuff out of skips, as people have in the past been prosecuted for theft after taking even low value stuff like out of date food from skips without permission.

Just out of interest, how are you coping now that it's against the law for scrap merchants to buy metal for cash, and without the seller giving an address?

I hope you ask and get permission before you take stuff out of skips, as people have in the past been prosecuted for theft after taking even low value stuff like out of date food from skips without permission.

Just out of interest, how are you coping now that it's against the law for scrap merchants to buy metal for cash, and without the seller giving an address?

. I always ask before I rummage otherwise it's classed as theft by finding the cash side of it makes know difference really it all goes through the books I just get a cheque from the scrap yard , I also have to have an environmental licence to put it on the back of my truck

. I always ask before I rummage otherwise it's classed as theft by finding the cash side of it makes know difference really it all goes through the books I just get a cheque from the scrap yard , I also have to have an environmental licence to put it on the back of my truck

Fair enough, but that makes your operation not exactly easy to set up for someone living on a boat with no assets whatsoever apart from the boat that they're living on and can't even afford to licence. You need premises and parking for the vehicle to get a carrier's licence, as far as I know, and there are other expenses involved. You can't just park a dodgy transit in a layby and hope to get away with it any more. As a guess, to set up something like that from scratch now would cost a couple of grand at least, which the OP's friend hasn't got, and is very unlikely to be able to get hold of.

Fair enough, but that makes your operation not exactly easy to set up for someone living on a boat with no assets whatsoever apart from the boat that they're living on and can't even afford to licence. You need premises and parking for the vehicle to get a carrier's licence, as far as I know, and there are other expenses involved. You can't just park a dodgy transit in a layby and hope to get away with it any more. As a guess, to set up something like that from scratch now would cost a couple of grand at least, which the OP's friend hasn't got, and is very unlikely to be able to get hold of.

. I understand we're you are coming from John but what I am trying to say is there is money out there to be made if your relatively fit and healthy a drinks can is worth 2 p a sack of them squashed around a tenner if each one of them three people collected one sack of cans a day there's 30 quid there is an old guy at one of the scrap yards I use that turns up most days with a shopping trolley full of cans keeps him fit finding them keeps the streets clean collecting them and he probably earns himself an extra 70 quid a week I could give you many other instances but I,m giving away to many of my money making tips already

As you've been in a bad place John and have found a way out, you could always PM the OP and offer up some ideas or even a startup loan....