repainting non slip walkway.

Featured Posts

Apologies in advance, first time i have used the forum so forgive me if this has been asked before. We bought a boat on a whim end of last year and now addicted. The boat is GRP and has a narrow walkway around the edge that is looking a little tired, just a bit grubby realy but will not spruce up with a good wash.

So i wondered can i just go over it with a coat of paint or do i really need to sand it all down? The existing finish is anti slip so already has the nobly bits.

Plus does anyone know were i can buy 1/2 litre tin of paint as there is only a small area to do.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Apologies in advance, first time i have used the forum so forgive me if this has been asked before. We bought a boat on a whim end of last year and now addicted. The boat is GRP and has a narrow walkway around the edge that is looking a little tired, just a bit grubby realy but will not spruce up with a good wash.

So i wondered can i just go over it with a coat of paint or do i really need to sand it all down? The existing finish is anti slip so already has the nobly bits.

Plus does anyone know were i can buy 1/2 litre tin of paint as there is only a small area to do.

Welcome sewinglady. Polyurethane paint is usually the best for use on GRP. Scrub it with sugar soap and then lightly abrade it.. Small tins of paint are difficult to get these days, they all want to flog you big tins of it. There must be millions of gallons of old paint knocking about left over in tins wasting away and going hard in peoples sheds. Bring back Woolworths and small tins of their Household paint.

Hi there

Get some sugar soap, give the gritty area a good scrub you can then paint.

If you overpaint the anti-slip stuff, it will become smoother, but its a much easier job than removing it all and re-doing it in the anti-slip stuff (which is a sand-like additive to paint). Unsure if you could repaint using paint + grit/sand/additive though?

If you overpaint the anti-slip stuff, it will become smoother, but its a much easier job than removing it all and re-doing it in the anti-slip stuff (which is a sand-like additive to paint). Unsure if you could repaint using paint + grit/sand/additive though?

I'll tell you in about 6 weeks time! My deck has anti skid walkways done that way and they're needing attention and it's on my "must be done" list!