Looking for Boaters in London/UK

moniquejaques

Featured Posts

Greetings!

I am an American photographer working on a story about house boat living in London, and its possible implementation in similar large US cities and was wondering if anyone here could possibly put me in touch with someone who currently lives on a boat in London. I spent some years crewing in the US and truly love the life.

Thanks so much

Monique Jaques

moniquejaques@gmail.com

http://moniquejaques.com

Planning on installing weirs and locks on the Los Angeles river, are you?

I'm just curious, where in the US is there a publicly owned, navigable canal system that would be conducive to narrowboats or barges? Some cities have good-sized rivers running through them, but there the waterfront property is either privately owned or leased from a municipality and tethering a vessel would not be allowed, and then there's the fact that the rivers flood quite regularly. Somewhere in the vicinity of 70% of the coastline is subject to hurricanes, again not a real safe environment for houseboats.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but have you really put any thought into this? Seriously, what makes you think that any American city is going to allow anyone to essentially "squat" on the wet side of their prime waterfront property?

Planning on installing weirs and locks on the Los Angeles river, are you?

I'm just curious, where in the US is there a publicly owned, navigable canal system that would be conducive to narrowboats or barges? Some cities have good-sized rivers running through them, but there the waterfront property is either privately owned or leased from a municipality and tethering a vessel would not be allowed, and then there's the fact that the rivers flood quite regularly. Somewhere in the vicinity of 70% of the coastline is subject to hurricanes, again not a real safe environment for houseboats.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but have you really put any thought into this? Seriously, what makes you think that any American city is going to allow anyone to essentially "squat" on the wet side of their prime waterfront property?

Sorry to rain on your parade but there's already plenty of residential boaters in the US. Their equivalent of cc'ers are known as Loopers as the traverse the Great Loop. If you want an example of a residential city moorings, try here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/79th_Street_Boat_Basin

Sorry to rain on your parade but there's already plenty of residential boaters in the US. Their equivalent of cc'ers are known as Loopers as the traverse the Great Loop. If you want an example of a residential city moorings, try here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/79th_Street_Boat_Basin

I want to be a Looper!!! My kids and friends already think I am loopy living on a boat

Hi Monique, I noticed you said the "possibility" and with that in mind I think that somebody with a bit of vision and a wedge of cash might be able to set something up. I had in mind disused docks/wharfage areas of which I'm sure there are plenty.

I would imagine the boats would be rather different to those we have here, plenty of large GRP ones abound, steel sewer tubes non-existant, it would need a whole different take than here on our canal system but would still require a decent infrastructure ie water points, waste disposal points, toilet emptying stations, and probably power laid on to berths.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I want to be a Looper!!! My kids and friends already think I am loopy living on a boat

I'd love to spend a few years exploring the American network. Winter in the Florida Keys. Summer in the Great Lakes. Cruising the Mississippi, Eyrie Canal, Hudson River etc.

I'd love to spend a few years exploring the American network. Winter in the Florida Keys. Summer in the Great Lakes. Cruising the Mississippi, Eyrie Canal, Hudson River etc.

Frank Sinatra used to have a boat in 79th Street Boat Basin!!! I heard a rumour that Nick Frost used to have a boat in Gas Street Basin, but still, it's hardly the same!

I'm quite familiar with marinas and yacht basins. There are thousands of them in this country and many of them allow live-aboards. However, that isn't what the OP was asking about, is it? She seems to think it would be possible to have London style boats and moorings in large cities here and that just isn't going to happen. Aside from the fact that it would take a large infrastructure investment in an era of austerity budgets, where the government refuses to maintain the infrastructure we already have, there is no right here for boats to just moor anywhere they please.

The idea that the OP has is not the least bit feasible in terms of the socio-economic and political climate that exists in this country. There are plenty of facilities currently available for those who want to live on the water, but houseboats in the cities is a fantasy.

BTW - in American English telling someone "I'm not trying to rain on your parade" is actually a nice/alternative way of saying, "Nice idea, but..." and is not used in the derogatory sense that your reply implies.

<<snip>>

BTW - in American English telling someone "I'm not trying to rain on your parade" is actually a nice/alternative way of saying, "Nice idea, but..." and is not used in the derogatory sense that your reply implies.

There is a soewhat more descriptive phrase used over here, (although not used in polite company) : "I don't mean to p*** on your chips, but - - - - "

Quite effective.

There is a soewhat more descriptive phrase used over here, (although not used in polite company) : "I don't mean to p*** on your chips, but - - - - "

Quite effective.

It's p*ss on your strawberries around here.

I'm quite familiar with marinas and yacht basins. There are thousands of them in this country and many of them allow live-aboards. However, that isn't what the OP was asking about, is it? She seems to think it would be possible to have London style boats and moorings in large cities here and that just isn't going to happen. Aside from the fact that it would take a large infrastructure investment in an era of austerity budgets, where the government refuses to maintain the infrastructure we already have, there is no right here for boats to just moor anywhere they please.

The idea that the OP has is not the least bit feasible in terms of the socio-economic and political climate that exists in this country. There are plenty of facilities currently available for those who want to live on the water, but houseboats in the cities is a fantasy.

You must have read a lot more into the original post than me. I didn't see anything that said the moorings and the boats had to actually be like the london moorings and boats. but she clearly want's to make contact with london boaters to see if any lessons can be learned for the states. Saying that, I don't see why you couldn't have a narrowboat moored in a boat basin in new york? That daft 'Indian river' book had a narrowboat cruising down the eastern seaboard, saying in various moorings along the way, and they seemed to do ok!

however, there was no mention from the OP of narrowboats or barges. Only house boats (not houseboats). I interpret that as any boat which could be lived on.

I'm not a huge fan of being told things can't be done. Have a look at the 'tow from tewkesbury' thread to see what can be acheived with determination.

p.s. I wasn't being derogatory. just cheeky - as usual.

Edited by Dave_P

These folk do just that. In the summer the boat is moored on the Toronto waterfront, and they take paying guests. They overwinter in Florida, and in spring and autumn (fall) they travel between the two, taking guests with them.

I have stayed with them while in Toronto on business. Beats a hotel room. And Ted and Diane are great hosts, and Diane's breakfast was just wornderful!

1000x450xheader-bonjour-1000x450.jpg.pag