LL February Holiday

tillergirl

Featured Posts

5 weeks and counting!! Can't wait. Taking a 58' from Skipton for a 4 day jaunt westwards along with hubby, youngest and the eldest and her partner. Hope the snow holds off till we pick the boat up after that it can do just what it likes. :cheers:

We'll be on a red/green boat called Linton from Pennine Cruisers..............

If you see us say hello, what direction are you going in? Ians a great bloke BTW

Doh, just read westwards, I'm a twit!!!! have a great time.

Edited by allybsc

Hi, if you get up to Salterforth which is just before Foulridge tunnel you pass the 'ELWY' (East Lancs and West Yorkshire) boat club moorings, we're on there, a Viking 26 GRP cruiser called 'Nancy', if we're there give us a shout and call for a brew. You can't miss the moorings as the first thing you'll see is a 56ft by 12ft dutch barge called 'Travis', we're just 100yds past it if you're going West.

Denis & Betty Anne. <_<

You are going to a beautiful part of the country. I know that you will enjoy it!

Nick

Edit: Well, I don't know really, but I am sure that you will.

Edited by Theo

Hi, if you get up to Salterforth which is just before Foulridge tunnel you pass the 'ELWY' (East Lancs and West Yorkshire) boat club moorings, we're on there, a Viking 26 GRP cruiser called 'Nancy', if we're there give us a shout and call for a brew. You can't miss the moorings as the first thing you'll see is a 56ft by 12ft dutch barge called 'Travis', we're just 100yds past it if you're going West.

Denis & Betty Anne. :D

Thanks for offer of a brew we might just take you up on that if we manage to get that far. <_<

You are going to a beautiful part of the country. I know that you will enjoy it!

Nick

Edit: Well, I don't know really, but I am sure that you will.

Definately we will enjoy it - we did it a few years back and it was great then (the year of Foot & Mouth if anyone can remmeber the year). The thing that struck us the most was seeing the countryside from a different perspective. This country - as damp as it might be sometimes - is soooo beautiful. Isn't Salterforth where the pub is where there are stalamites & stalagtites in the cellar??

And I've already got a germ of an idea for the next one - Fossdyke & Witham as its quite near to us. :P

• 3 weeks later...
I've bought a small book today to keep a journal of our trip. Any pointers as to the best way to do this bearing in mind that I'm not nautically minded at all!

I can tell you how I do it, no doubt everyone does it differently.

During the day I note down on a scrap pad, just our start and finish time (or times if we stop for lunch, sightseeing, or or shopping etc) and the time when we pass anything major such as a junction, town centre, or top or bottom of a flight of locks.

In the evening, EVERY evening without fail so it's still fresh in my mind, I fill out our main log. This is an A4 cashbook which comes printed with a left-hand margin, and 3 narrow columns a the right-hand side. I write whatever I want to say (or other people do, or everyone does, with no restrictions on how silly or how sensible it is, rather like on the forum, always taking a whole page per day (or 2 whole pages or even 3). Then in the left margin I note the times that I recorded during the day, level with the text they refer to, and opposite each timing on the right hand side in the 3 columns I note the number of hours, miles, and locks since the last noted time. It's important of course to name all the places especially where you stopped overnight. Finally at the foot of the page I total each of the right hand columns.

I find this gives me everything I need to recall the memories of the trip, it shows me how long it takes between each of the major places (and why, with miles and liocks recorded) which is invaluable when I plan to go that way again, and I know at the end of the trip whether or not to boast about how many miles/locks I've done. It also records engine hours so I know when to change the oil (if only I haven't made a stupid mistake and forgotten when I last did it - see other thread!) and I also note diesel fillups, gas bottles, etc.

Does that help?

Allan

In the evening, EVERY evening without fail so it's still fresh in my mind, I fill out our main log. This is an A4 cashbook which comes printed with a left-hand margin, and 3 narrow columns a the right-hand side. I write whatever I want to say (or other people do, or everyone does, with no restrictions on how silly or how sensible it is, rather like on the forum, always taking a whole page per day (or 2 whole pages or even 3). Then in the left margin I note the times that I recorded during the day, level with the text they refer to, and opposite each timing on the right hand side in the 3 columns I note the number of hours, miles, and locks since the last noted time. It's important of course to name all the places especially where you stopped overnight. Finally at the foot of the page I total each of the right hand columns.

Allan

But if you really did it like on the forum you would need a 4th column for sightings of pink effelumps! :)

will be great to read all about the trip though!

Ian at Pennine is indeed a great bloke - sorted my blown engine in the summer and then did me an awesome re-paint.

Back to the post.....4 days mmmmm, you really need to do the section from Gargrave to Greenberfield as this has to be one of the most stunning stretches of canal in the country. So much so I bought a house there last year after sailing past !

I'd do Skipton to Gargrave top lock in a day and then to Greenberfield the second day and turn about half a mile before the locks. Of course many hirers easily get to Foulridge in 2 days but that is quite a bit of boating.

If you do like pubs the Cross Keys at East Marton is great (up t'hill). If you press on to Salterforth, the Anchor is decent all rounder.

Thanks Keepingup that sounds like a plan though I'll probably botch it up!

But if you really did it like on the forum you would need a 4th column for sightings of pink effelumps! :cheers:

will be great to read all about the trip though!

pink Effelumps? now you've lost me would'nt be related to pink minis/puntos/corsas or the like would it?

Back to the post.....4 days mmmmm, you really need to do the section from Gargrave to Greenberfield as this has to be one of the most stunning stretches of canal in the country. So much so I bought a house there last year after sailing past !

I'd do Skipton to Gargrave top lock in a day and then to Greenberfield the second day and turn about half a mile before the locks. Of course many hirers easily get to Foulridge in 2 days but that is quite a bit of boating.

If you do like pubs the Cross Keys at East Marton is great (up t'hill). If you press on to Salterforth, the Anchor is decent all rounder.

We did all the way to Foulridge and back in ?? - year of foot and mouth - but that was in August and there won't be as much daylight this time round. And yes you are right, its Gods Country up there! I'd like to saunter this time but having a bit of a job to persuade him indoors that its OK for him (Captain Pugwash) stood at the tiller, but it'll be me (First Mate) and the rest of the Crew doing the hard work. I've sort of put the germ of an idea in his head to go the other way as I would guess it will as stunning and apart from the swing bridges will be a bit easier on the crew, and more to the point I'd like to have a go at learning to keep it straight before I tackle a lock or two! I know its a u-turn since I first posted but we can always go back and do t'other way when the days are longer. So heres another question - heading east where can you wind a 58' 6" boat before Bingley? :cheers::D

<SNIP> I know its a u-turn since I first posted but we can always go back and do t'other way when the days are longer. So heres another question - heading east where can you wind a 58' 6" boat before Bingley? :cheers::D

We did the L&L a few years ago and in a week we went from Skipton through Foulridge to Nelson and back through Skipton to just past Shipley in a week so we experienced both sections you are thinking about.

This isn't going to help a great deal but whichever section you choose I am sure you will be happy. Going west is harder work probably but the scenery is spectacular and there are some great very remote places to moor if you like that sort of thing. Going east is arguably less strenuous but still very pretty (That is until you get past Bingley 5 Rise, Saltaire excepted, but you are not going that far)

I would say whichever way you choose you will have a great time - just make sure you do the other direction another time - it really is a very nice route.....

Edited by MJG

Hi Tiller Girl,

Two places to turn before Bingley Five, one just east of Bridge 199 (Micklethwaite) and the other just west of Bridge 197 (Stockbridge).

Hope these help.

M&P.

Thanks I've made a note - reckon this is way to go this time. BTW hows the boat coming on??

Thanks I've made a note - reckon this is way to go this time. BTW hows the boat coming on??

The canal is very low, just got back and most of the boats on our mooring were grounded, I wonder if it has anything to do with the accident just east of Niffany, an articulated lorry blew off the flyover and landed in the canal killing the driver..terribly tragic. they lifted it out just a couple of days ago. We drove up to Gargrave and they seemed to have plenty of water above the locks. I expect it will be sorted out before you start your holidays. I didn't see anyone to ask about it.

The canal is very low, just got back and most of the boats on our mooring were grounded, I wonder if it has anything to do with the accident just east of Niffany, an articulated lorry blew off the flyover and landed in the canal killing the driver..terribly tragic. they lifted it out just a couple of days ago. We drove up to Gargrave and they seemed to have plenty of water above the locks. I expect it will be sorted out before you start your holidays. I didn't see anyone to ask about it.

Thanks for that I might just give Pennine a ring at the weekend and see whats what, as they have not contacted me to advise of any problems. Hopefully , as you say it will be sorted by then.......

Just had a phone call from Pennine asking me what bedding we want for next week. Lovely people - its so nice to be looked after :cheers:

Hi,

The biggest "Tog" quilt duvet they have got, would be good for right about now.

Minus three for inland most of this week but on the good side it should stay dry.

M&P.