Reviving the decour inside my boat

Featured Posts

The veneer panels in my 18 year old boat are in a bit of a state. There are small holes where hooks and pictures have been mounted, places where past water leaks have either stained or damaged it, and places where the finish is now in a general poor condition.

I had considered re-varnishing but it would be difficult to hide some the aforementioned damage, and with the problems with dust etc I don't think I'm up to doing a decent job of it. I've considered painting or wallpapering over it too, but once that's done I fear there is no going back if we don't like it, and my wife isn't very keen anyway.

Somebody suggested to me that there is an option of having the existing veneer over-laid with new veneer sheets about a mm and a bit thick. This I would have to be done professionally as the cuting and sizing of the sheets would have to be spot on.

Has anybody any experience of this and can enlighten me as to what is involved, how it looks, and approximate cost etc? I realise it wouldn't be cheap but would be willing to pay if it achieved good results.

I have recently done my panels with the Vinyl they use to wrap cars...bubble free vnyl matte off of ebay. Has a sticky back and fairly easy to put on and gave a better finish than i could ever achieve with a brush and covered watermarks etc. I am very pleased with the results sorry i can't sort a picture.

And like you if i did not like it it comes off...

Edited by Paringa

Wall paper..

Very Traditional..... .attracts moisture

I have recently done my panels with the Vinyl they use to wrap cars...bubble free vnyl matte off of ebay.

Attracts even more moisture and very tacky just like wallpaper.

By tacky I wasn't referring to sticky substances

Edited by Androo

Very Traditional..... .attracts moisture

Attracts even more moisture and very tacky just like wallpaper.

By tacky I wasn't referring to sticky substances

Hasten to add it was not all the panels just roof and topsides and in a rather tasteful matte white - not some pearlescent like a boy racer from the estates you see - looks bloody good. But thanks Androo for your helpful contribution

Wood effect vinyl is available for interior decor like furniture, doors and and a wall covering. I have an old travellers caravan that needs freshening up and will be employing a white wood vinyl on the walls and a beech or perhaps a maple effect on the cupboards. Quite an inexpensive and simple makeover.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will wait for the chap to come back to me with a price and then weigh up the options. I'm guessing that to have the veneer sheets cut to size and over-laid onto the existing walls will cost a fortune and therefore probably wouldn't be worth the expense.

I would be quite happy with wallpaper or perhaps that vinyl, but the wife isn't convinced as she wants to keep at least some kind of wood finish. Perhaps when we find out the cost she will change her mind!

You can get a very thin tongue and groove effect MDF panel in Homebase (http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/easipanel-tongue-and-groove-standard-panel---915-x-516mm-880113) which can be painted. I'm considering using these over the top of my existing wall covering and then paint it white.

Edit: To add link

Edited by Rob-M

You can get a very thin tongue and groove effect MDF panel in Homebase (http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/easipanel-tongue-and-groove-standard-panel---915-x-516mm-880113) which can be painted. I'm considering using these over the top of my existing wall covering and then paint it white.

Edit: To add link

Your in trouble you mentioned the M word, just wait and see