vintage and classic narrowboats

Featured Posts

why do people get so upset where did i say they were my picture it says

vintage and classic narrowboats and that is what you get

No. Suggest you read this http://www.ipo.gov.uk/c-notice-201401.pdf

Any picture put on the internet still belongs to the copyright owner unless they've agreed otherwise.

People like you just don't seem to respect that and will copy pictures without checking.

You could have at least referenced where the pictures came from rather than pass them off as your own work which is what you have done by putting them on Youtube with the standard Youtube copyright settings.

next time someone takes a picture of my boat i will tell what you said thank you

People get upset because you do not credit the original photographers, you have not respected their copyright and you have intimated that it is your original work by calling it "a part of my collection ".

Whether or not you said they were your pictures still doesn't detract from the fact you just pinched them off of the HNBC website and published them under your name. When you upload videos to Youtube you agree to their terms and conditions which involves confirming that you have permission from the copyright owner to use any copyrighted material.

Edited by IanM

next time someone takes a picture of my boat i will tell what you said thank you

The owner of the copyright is the original creator of the work. So unless you are claiming to be the inventor of your boat you do not hold any copyright. On the other hand if you have a unique piece of sculptor you created on your boat and someone were to photograph that you could then claim copyright, I think?

If it is a picture taken from a public place you can't do anything about it.

"Members of the public do not need a permit to shoot in public places and, apart from some notable exceptions, you can shoot private buildings or property as long as you’re standing on public land.

‘Public’ property is rather a loose term, because all land in the UK is owned, even if it’s accessible at all times. There are some ‘prohibited places’, which it is an offence to take photos of (such as factories, dockyards and mines owned by the Crown).
Some public places also have bylaws preventing commercial photography, such as in Trafalgar Square, Parliament Square and some Royal Parks. But if you’re not taking photos for commercial gain or causing an obstruction, you’re unlikely to be restricted."
Edited by IanM

You don't get it do you?

You can't use photos without the photographers permission. It's against the law, and they may sue you.

A photographer can take a photo of your boat without the owners permission (as long as from public land).

Edited by Robbo

The owner of the copyright is the original creator of the work. So unless you are claiming to be the inventor of your boat you do not hold any copyright. On the other hand if you have a unique piece of sculptor you created on your boat and someone were to photograph that you could then claim copyright, I think?

thank you i just hope Thomas telford is not on this forum he would not be happy will pictures of his tunnel

You don't get it do you?

You can't use photos without the photographers permission. It's against the law, and they may sue you.

A photographer can take a photo of your boat without the owners permission (as long as from public land).

is a canal public land???

thank you i just hope Thomas telford is not on this forum he would not be happy will pictures of his tunnel

Only applies to things created (photographs, painting, sculptures, etc). http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

You can't copyright a tunnel any more than I can copyright my garden wall.

The plans for the tunnel however could need permission to be reproduced however 70 years after the death of the copyright owner the copyright ceases to be so I think we're safe there.

Next sarcastic statement please.

Edited by IanM

is a canal public land???

Why are you dwelling on where photographs are taken from when you didn't even take them?

You used other folks' work without their permission or even crediting them....That's all.

sorry to all the people that have got so upset. i am a bad man with all the things that are going on in the world i am up at the top please feel free to shout abuse at me when i go passed in my boat do not swear because my wife will get upset

Be nice if you deleted the YouTube vid.

sorry to all the people that have got so upset. i am a bad man with all the things that are going on in the world i am up at the top please feel free to shout abuse at me when i go passed in my boat do not swear because my wife will get upset

Not bad, just ignorant and arrogant. An unpleasant mix.

MtB

OFGS. Mr Hull, grow up.

You have broken the Copyright Laws by publishing other peoples photographs without their permission and without acknowledging their rights to those photos, plus you have implied that they are your photos, which they are patently not.

Yes you should now remove the item from YouTube, especially as you have broken their T & C's

Edited by Graham Davis

good video - I cant see why people get so worked up over trivial matters - if it were my boat or I had taken a picture I would be delighted it was used - videos like this are great for recording a good collection of boats, maybe next time get the pic up on your computer take a pic of your screen then use it - this would complicate the ownership laws. (tongue in cheek) (@8

good video - I cant see why people get so worked up over trivial matters - if it were my boat or I had taken a picture I would be delighted it was used - videos like this are great for recording a good collection of boats, maybe next time get the pic up on your computer take a pic of your screen then use it - this would complicate the ownership laws. (tongue in cheek) (@8

But these photos (and more) are freely available to view on the HNBC site already. Nothing has been done to improve availability or interest in historic boats.

Pleased to see he didn't steal the photos of my boat on the HNBC site, lol!

MtB

If any of my photos are used I will sue, they are mine and I will choose where and how they are displayed. If I want them to be used by others for how they see fit I would use a CC (Creative Commons) license.

But these photos (and more) are freely available to view on the HNBC site already. Nothing has been done to improve availability or interest in historic boats.

Pleased to see he didn't steal the photos of my boat on the HNBC site, lol!

MtB

lol - just wish I had a boat, maybe one day when the kids have flown the coop.

You're missing the point.

OK it's not exactly crime of the century, but Adam started off displaying his ignorance and then tried to somehow defend it.

That's what gets people worked up, me included.

He could still make amends, but often when folk get themselves into this sort of mess on a forum the last thing they want to do is climb down and offer a sincere apology.

You're missing the point.

OK it's not exactly crime of the century, but Adam started off displaying his ignorance and then tried to somehow defend it.

That's what gets people worked up, me included.

He could still make amends, but often when folk get themselves into this sort of mess on a forum the last thing they want to do is climb down and offer a sincere apology.

point taken - and I fully agree - apart from the missing the point bit wink.png