Smaller boat prices/Solar kits

Steve Parry

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm new here so dipping my toe in so to speak. I'm seeking a 30 - 40 foot boat to live on for myself alone. Looking at these two:

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=364792

http://www.apolloduck.com/advert.phtml?id=335495

What do people think of the prices posted? I know smaller boats are harder to sell. I saw the 36' Springer. The engine was serviced 18 months ago with clean bill of health (saw receipts), hull was overplated bottom and sides in 2009, blacked 2012. Electrics are basic with two 60 a/h batteries at least 18 months old, basic LED lighting. 3 way fridge not used by current owner.

Haven't seen the Hancock and Lane. It looks finished to a higher quality but no mention of if or when the hull was ever replated or overplated. I suspect this could be a big job that would need doing in near future bearing in mind the boat's age. What do people think?

Also I would plan to install solar power. Does anyone have experience of these kits from Bimblesolar:

http://www.bimblesolar.com/12v-220w-complete-inverter I'd like to add another 220 watt panel but that would overload the mppt charge controller in this kit as it's only rated to 20 amps. Can anyone suggest the correct bigger mppt controller as they don't show what seems the obvious step to 2 x 220 watt panels.

Steve

Just be sure to get your own survey. Cheaper boats are cheap for a reason. Springers especially are known for thin baseplates,(5mm), though the metal was often good quality. Re the controller, it's often suggested to have 10% of your battery bank so if you have a bank of 300 then a controller of 30amps is the correct one.

It seems to be an oft spread internet rumour that "30 foot boats are hard to sell" - say it enough times and it becomes true.

The OP must be the 4th or 5th person in the last month comng on here looking for a 30 foot boat, yes, they are not ideal liveaboard size but for weekends / holidays they are perfect.

You can turnaround virtually anywhere (no travelling miles and miles to get to a winding hole), the cost of of Blacking, painting or mooring is 50% of that of a 60 foot boat - and the licence is considerably less as well.

When you are looking to moor up in an evening those long lines of moored boats dont worry you, you just slot into those 'unusable gaps' that the big boats' leave for you.

Downside - of course there are - generally you have to make up and take down the bed each day, the boat being smaller & lighter tends to be a little more 'wobbly'(tender)

It tooks us less than a month (including Christmas) to sell our 30 footer .

Priced correctly, and used for the purpose for which they are best-suited a 30 footer is an excellent 'starter'.

Why no external picture of the Springer - I wouldn't go any further with that one.

As for the H&L, it has been up for sale for absolutely ages, - for some reason these boats (Marlins) really do stick on the market nowadays. I suspect it is because of the lack of bow doors, and they do rock side to side a little more than most narrowboats but I really like the Marlin design and I would certainly give that one a good look. The BMC 1.5 with the hydraulic gearbox should be a delight too,

The lack of internal space would (a concern due to the tug deck and cruiser stern, no sign of a shower either.

To live aboard there are certain things you need.

1/ A permanent made up bed

2/ A shower and means to heat water

3/ Toilet I won't comment on.

4/ A solid fuel fire

These IMO are essential to a happy life aboard, everything else can be added if an when you need it, such as a PV array, bigger battery bank, 240v system ie shore pwer and/or inverter.

Good luck wih the search.

Phil

I wouldn't look at the kits until you know which boat you are buying.

You may already have one or more item already once you finally buy.

remember, polycrystalline panels tend to be a larger surface area than mono for the same output- not a problem on an 'ouse but might be significant on a small boat roof, especially if you walk on the roof to do locks etc

The OP must be the 4th or 5th person in the last month comng on here looking for a 30 foot boat, yes, they are not ideal liveaboard size

Says who?

Priced correctly, and used for the purpose for which they are best-suited a 30 footer is an excellent 'starter'.

What do you mean/what purpose? Not everyone is looking to move on to something else as soon as they get aboard like some kind of property ladder keeping up with the Jones thing!

Also, a fixed double is far from impossible on 30footer!